Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've got accounts with all the delivering supermarkets in Inverness, the decision is usually on who's got the most convenient and cheapest slot.
_47495840_usedcarsalesman.jpg&key=6eb5595710aa650b1d217282aca3ceb79eefaca9bd54c0a20f3b0633218577bb

Few week ago I did an online click and collect for the first time since March as I could never get a slot.

Whilst I was waiting some woman pulled up in a transit people Carrier, opened the back and if was full of Tesco and Morrison bags. She proudly boasted to the shop worker she goes round all the shops every Saturday to make sure she’s fully stocked up.

She’s probably one of the people currently panic buying.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

University students, by and large, aren't in classes, though it varies from institution to institution. The University of Glasgow has almost all of its teaching online in Semester 1 and seems to be planning for the same in Semester 2. Edinburgh seems to have slightly more in person classes but is mainly online, and St Andrews looks like they are still planning for a decent number of in person but all large classes will be online. I assume all the other jumped up colleges and polytechnics around Scotland will be somewhere in between.

Pretty hard for Glasgow to justify filling its accommodation halls with kids, while planning to offer next to no teaching that's not online, I'd have thought.  

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pretty hard for Glasgow to justify filling its accommodation halls with kids, while planning to offer next to no teaching that's not online, I'd have thought.  

Some teaching is going ahead I.e where people are on courses with practical elements such as lab work etc.

Rishi Sunak announcing a Winter Economic Plan tomorrow. All pubs to be closed in a week.
Surely it will be some sort of furlough extension for those industries unable to open in a covid secure manner rather than a scheme which will enable facilities to close down which are currently open. Covering employees wages is only half the battle.

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:
Rishi Sunak announcing a Winter Economic Plan tomorrow. All pubs to be closed in a week.

Surely it will be some sort of furlough extension for those industries unable to open in a covid secure manner rather than a scheme which will enable facilities to close down which are currently open. Covering employees wages is only half the battle.

He has to start thinking about how many years can they pay people to sit at home.

Covid is not going away.

He has to start thinking about how many years can they pay people to sit at home.
Covid is not going away.
I get what you're saying but you cant throw millions onto the scrapheap as entire industries shut down through no fault of anyones (so to speak, I'd be here all day if I started about Westminster and Holyrood's handling of the pandemic).

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Some teaching is going ahead I.e where people are on courses with practical elements such as lab work etc.

That's why I said "next to no teaching" as opposed to "no teaching".

It's very limited.  Plenty of the students accommodated in halls are receiving no such input at all.  It really begs the question as to what they're doing there.  

There's no logic that suggests teaching some classes in small groups would be intrinsically unsafe; yet housing hundreds of students close together isn't.

Covid indeed isn't going away and therefore we need to work out how we're going to live with it. Random changes in restrictions, periodic lockdowns and shutting down parts of the economy are stop gap measures and are not sustainable in the long term. That the government has made zero progress in trying to work this out is frankly unforgivable, and that many other European governments have made similarly zero progress in this regard is not an excuse. 

I've said it before, but we are absolutely not living with the virus, we are hiding from it and hoping it goes away. What if the vaccine fails? Are we just carry on locking down every 4 months when cases reach a level the government decides it will no longer willing to tolerate? 

8 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:
119 of the 383 cases in Scotland yesterday were in the 19 or under age category. 

The last 7 days saw 1993 cases of those 72 were in ages 5-14 with a further 322 15-19 so a fair chunk of those not school kids. To put into proper perspective the same period saw 655 cases for 25-44yo and 517 for 45-64 yo. As I have pointed out now several times not the driving vector you portray and thankfully for the kids sakes both Govts can see this.

Just catching up with the thread and came across this post which appears to try to show that infection rates are higher in bandings of 20 years (25-44 and 45-64) than they are in 10 year banding (5-14) and 5 year banding (15-19) of course the absolute numbers are higher.  However, based on your own figures, there are:

64.4 cases per age year in the 15-19 age group,

32.75 in the 25-44 and

25.85 in the 45-64

This doesn't even take into account the demographics of each age band which would make the relative number for the 15-19 age group even worse.  I am sure that the government can see this but they continue to ignore it as the "science" wouldn't back up the political and economic position that they are taking.  Interestingly we haven't heard any scientific evidence that backs up keeping schools open.