Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Gaz said:

That's just nuts. So that's pretty much admitting that the only reason they're keeping them open isn't because they're safe but because they want to be seen to be giving a consistent message.

It seems so... the below also baffling in terms of likelihood of transmission. 

A24E75D9-7F6D-49A8-B914-423BF52AAA4F.png

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's just nuts. So that's pretty much admitting that the only reason they're keeping them open isn't because they're safe but because they want to be seen to be giving a consistent message.

Absolutely pathetic and they really need taken to task over this. Still adamant that they are safe, even claiming the risk is that children (who can’t pick up the virus whilst inside the safe zone of the school gates) will pick up the virus outside of school and bring it in.

Laughable, if it wasn’t so infuriating.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Kids in my eldest's class got a new seating plan yesterday. Wtf. They're only having those in the same group isolate in the event one tests positive. So is that last week's groups or this week's groups. Makes absolutely no sense

Have to apologise for not remembering the ladies name who I heard on the radio this morning, I think she was maybe part of the Oxford AZ team, who was saying that restrictions should be binned once the vulnerable population are vaccinated... Meanwhile JVT seems to be doubling down on his "no return to normal" patter.

JVT is hereby notified that he will have to fight me. His problem if he doesnt read this and gets caught off guard.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The Tories appear to have been wanting OxfordAZ approved back in late October before the English lockdown started (hence talk in the mainstream media of hospitals gearing up to start doing vaccinations imminently) but appear to have been told to do one by the scientists that would need to sign off on it at that point. Will be interesting to see what happens on MHRA approval now. The messed up dosage should be viewed as a highly embarrasing blunder by UK scientists given the importance of the Phase 3 trial involved. Suspect the political pressure at this point is too great to resist given the data does appear to support a > 50% beneficial outcome despite the blunder but the optics of the UK proceeding with a vaccine that gets knocked back elsewhere pending a repeat of Phase 3 will be interesting to watch unfold.

The Tories appear to have been wanting OxfordAZ approved back in late October before the English lockdown started (hence talk in the mainstream media of hospitals gearing up to start doing vaccinations imminently) but appear to have been told to do one by the scientists that would need to sign off on it at that point. Will be interesting to see what happens on MHRA approval now. The messed up dosage should be viewed as a highly embarrasing blunder by UK scientists given the importance of the Phase 3 trial involved. Suspect the political pressure at this point is too great to resist given the data does appear to support a > 50% beneficial outcome despite the blunder but the optics of the UK proceeding with a vaccine that gets knocked back elsewhere pending a repeat of Phase 3 will be interesting to watch unfold.

Oxford/AZ will be approved both in the UK and in other countries around the world on the basis that the tried and tested 2-dose option offers 62% protection. You only need 50% to get approved.

They’ll need to do a full new phase 3 trial on the 1.5 dose option.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

It seems so... the below also baffling in terms of likelihood of transmission. 

A24E75D9-7F6D-49A8-B914-423BF52AAA4F.png

Not really. Given that transmission between kids in school seems to be rare then it's possible that alternative arrangements might lead to more transmission in homes. 

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Not really. Given that transmission between kids in school seems to be rare then it's possible that alternative arrangements might lead to more transmission in homes. 

Yes, they magically don’t transmit the virus while being crammed into corridors and classes. However a few in a house and it’s rampant. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Yes, they magically don’t transmit the virus while being crammed into corridors and classes. However a few in a house and it’s rampant. 

As I understand it the windows are open in the classes which cuts down on transmission and there are social distancing measures in the corridors. 

Again people banging on about schools driving infections despite the SG report and the falling levels of infection in communities with schools open is impressive myopia. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I understand it the windows are open in the classes which cuts down on transmission and there are social distancing measures in the corridors. 

Again people banging on about schools driving infections despite the SG report and the falling levels of infection in communities with schools open is impressive myopia. 

SG figures clearly showed increasing numbers in schools. 

People who don’t work with children are regularly baffled that children and young people often don’t follow social distancing requirements. 

Infections can clearly fall at a slower rate due to schools still being open. I didn’t mention a single thing about them driving infections so that is utter nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Madwullie summarises quite well above. Like Asian countries have been doing for a long time, we could probably do with people wearing them when ill to limit spread where possible (but us being stubborn c***s in good old blighty this won’t happen).

Do you think there will be a residual % that will continue to wear masks, have we had a cultural shift? I can't say I'm that bothered. If it was made law and a condition of a return to normal I wouldn't be bothered if I had to wear a mask in shops or until seated in a restaurant etc. Standing in a pub might be a grey area.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you think there will be a residual % that will continue to wear masks, have we had a cultural shift? I can't say I'm that bothered. If it was made law and a condition of a return to normal I wouldn't be bothered if I had to wear a mask in shops or until seated in a restaurant etc. Standing in a pub might be a grey area.

I think there will be people who continue wearing masks in crowded enclosed public spaces.  Not many but some will do.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Oxford/AZ will be approved both in the UK and in other countries around the world on the basis that the tried and tested 2-dose option offers 62% protection. You only need 50% to get approved.

They’ll need to do a full new phase 3 trial on the 1.5 dose option.

^^^Has just given vaccine guy his log in and let him post directly now.