Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

Some people are quite happy to work from home.  I work in a team of 11 and the only person that really wants to get back to the office is the team leader.  He’s a clown that insisted on continuing to get on the tube every day to go into the central London office pre the March lockdown despite it being official company policy at the time to WFH.

I don’t have external office space and have been in a pub once since March and function perfectly well.

Your sweeping generalisations are totally off the mark.  I know it’s not for everyone but very few people I know have a desperate yearning to traipse back into an office every day.  I would add that most of my friends work in IT and have been using Skype and/or teams to work from home on a semi regular basis for years.

The idea that your 'I work from home and am doing fine' anecdote would in any way challenge a 'generalisation' is laughable. 

Oh and the key phrase in your trite story about your friends is of course 'semi regular basis'. Not 'every day without alternatives, for an indefinite period of time'. The advantages of WFH - of which there are many - are overwhelmed by the context of the society level lockdown sitting on top of it. One must be binned for the other to be tolerated.

50 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s really interesting that the people who have spent the last 9 months saying that the Scottish Government stuffed it up by not locking down quickly enough - “they were happy for the Old Firm match to go ahead” are the same ones whining about NS locking down “early” in the face of the new strain.

It's only 'really interesting' if you think that mass gatherings have actually been taking place at any point in the past nine months, and have forgotten that we have actually already been under extensive measures to curb transmission. But now there's 17 cases of scary new strain in the entire country, it's definitely time for some teuchter village in Sutherland to get slammed into a nationwide lockdown 'just in case'.

In attempting to correct previous errors the clowncar government response is likely to create new ones because the situation a d starting conditions are not the same.

It's only 'really interesting' if you think that mass gatherings have actually been taking place at any point in the past nine months, and have forgotten that we have actually already been under extensive measures to curb transmission. But now there's 17 cases of scary new strain in the entire country, it's definitely time for some teuchter village in Sutherland to get slammed into a nationwide lockdown 'just in case'.
In attempting to correct previous errors the clowncar government response is likely to create new ones because the situation a d starting conditions are not the same.

Utter nonsense.

If we don’t lock down now, and this runs out of control, you are the very person who would be blaming the SG for not doing it.

The only clown car is the one you’re driving.

Screenshot_20201220-102208.thumb.jpg.6777921ea6dc21315726ff724c93435a.jpg
I'm potentially as late as September but if they can administer 1.5m vaccines a week then that later date moves to June.
I guess it's all about the Oxford vaccine getting approved and hopefully some time in the new year a single shot vaccine will be available.
The Oxford vaccine is supposed to be getting approval imminently (Friday was heavily rumoured but didn't happen). They've got at least 6 or 7 million doses ready and waiting (depends how many batches had issues with testing) but it does need 2 doses.

I genuinely feel sorry for those in more rural areas with a low number of cases.

They're going from Tier 1 to Tier 4 faster than Partick Thistle are.

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I see the Netherlands have banned all travel from the UK.

More will start to follow. Which is fair enough, as we did this to Denmark. 

Seems they have found the new variant (which had actually been around since September so isn't really that new at all) in the Netherlands and Belgium. 

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Utter nonsense.

If we don’t lock down now, and this runs out of control, you are the very person who would be blaming the SG for not doing it.

The only clown car is the one you’re driving.

Erm no, the only thing that is "utter nonsense" here is launching the entire country to tier 4 - apart from 'the islands' because it seems that the new strain is magically repelled by the sea - rather than simply ratcheting up the existing tiers on a proportionate level after Christmas. Tier 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and use this as a benchmark to respond from in the New Year. 

2 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Anyone remember the announcement of operation moon shot back in September? Has that now been binned?

It was binned a week I think after it was announced

ETA: Announced 9th Sept. Cancelled due to inadequate testing accuracy in early Nov no one is quite sure when it was formally cancelled.

Edited by 101

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

ETA: Announced 9th Sept. Cancelled due to inadequate testing accuracy in early Nov no one is quite sure when it was formally cancelled.

A few hundred million would have already made its way into Tory bank accounts so that is the main thing.

Cheers. Remember it being announced with much fanfare but hadn't heard anything about it since

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Like celebrating Christmas?

And the exam results

And adding a tier 4

And proxy voting

And free school meals

And the NHS app

And Huawei participation in 5G system

And face masks in schools

And furlough extension

And Englands second lockdown

And free school meals (again)