Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

There’s apparently a covid vaccine calculator, where you put your details in and it tells you when you’ll likely get the vaccine. I’m June, probably due to the fact I’m an athlete 

I just gave it a try and am between June and Sept as well. I’m not an athlete.

Edited by Jambomo

4 hours ago, Paco said:

820c85f0-a333-4155-b13e-28ef7053e6ba.jpg

Tl;dr - is this a wild over-reaction to get the government out of a Christmas relaxation it should never have agreed to?

As we all know..lies, damned lies and statistics etc.

I think the medical side have been against the 5 day holiday from the start, they were ignored, but went back and really stamped their feet and have given the Government a presentable solution for another U turn. In effect "we didn't get it wrong but the nasty virus has disguised itself and crept up on us again....yesterday. Same with the schools, we were right, but this is a different virus that kids do transmit".

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

13 minutes ago, Paco said:

This is the infection pattern of the new strain in England up for December 9th. To be honest this creates a lot more questions than answers for me. You can clearly see fairly exponential growth in London, the East of England the South East, the point broadly 60% of all cases are the new strain. Certainly not good and you can see why Johnson led with this yesterday. It looks alarming.

However what is a bit surprising is that this new, 70% more contagious strain, has been present in all areas of England since September and hasn’t really taken off anywhere else - in fact in a few areas, particularly the North, it’s showing signs of slowing as a total percentage of cases. That’s got to go down as pretty damn weird, for this new super contagious strain?

My worry here is that London and the South started from a low base of virus, and thus by looking at the raw percentage of new cases which are the new strain, it seems alarming - but in most of the country, notably the North which has had high case numbers, the percentage is at worst steady and in some cases falling. Are we looking for something that isn’t there?

My other question would be what changed between Wednesday - ‘inhuman’ to cancel Christmas - and Saturday, when Christmas was cancelled and all travel banned in and out of London and the South. The data released only goes up to December 9th so the government might have more up-to-date data that looks worse. But on what we have, if anything the last few days before the 9th isn’t showing an ever worse picture. London carries on its admittedly worrying ascent, the East slows, the South East falls. The rest of the country is showing nothing worrying, mostly falls aside from a small uptick in the North East. What has happened between Wednesday and Saturday to make the government completely shit themselves? I’d really like to know what Johnson knew, and when he knew it.

This is a lot longer than I intended, and I don’t necessarily like poking holes in the scientific advice. But that data doesn’t really present a unanimously bleak picture of a killer strain sweeping over England. In most areas it’s stable, relative to the other strains already out there. In some areas with low case loads it’s become the dominant strain.

Tl;dr - is this a wild over-reaction to get the government out of a Christmas relaxation it should never have agreed to?

820c85f0-a333-4155-b13e-28ef7053e6ba.jpg

The thing for me though, is why would Sturgeon be complicit in helping Johnston out with his scheme of convenience to cover up his mistakes. Surely she's more likely to let him stew - I'm inclined to believe that she is genuinely concerned (rightly or wrongly) that this could take off here and destroy the good (relatively speaking) work that's been done up here in suppressing it. I might be incredibly naive though. 

12 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

There’s apparently a covid vaccine calculator, where you put your details in and it tells you when you’ll likely get the vaccine. I’m June, probably due to the fact I’m an athlete 

February for me. Will live tweet Easter cuntedness from the pub as a public service. You're welcome. 

Edited by madwullie

Screenshot_20201220-102208.thumb.jpg.6777921ea6dc21315726ff724c93435a.jpg

I'm potentially as late as September but if they can administer 1.5m vaccines a week then that later date moves to June.

I guess it's all about the Oxford vaccine getting approved and hopefully some time in the new year a single shot vaccine will be available.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Pal works in morrisons in Perth.

Apparently people have already started panic buying.

Look im not excusing it, but anyone looking at pictures of lorries in massive queues, the impending brexit no deal and this new strain hysteria, I can understand why some folks have started doing that, but wont be myself. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Look im not excusing it, but anyone looking at pictures of lorries in massive queues, the impending brexit no deal and this new strain hysteria, I can understand why some folks have started doing that, but wont be myself. 

Supermarkets have good stocks on all the non perishable goods I don't think there is a need to panic buy anything other than things that are fresh and from Europe in which case you can't really stock pile them anyway.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just remember the social distancing and wee bit of respect for the workers in supermarkets. A mask would be great also. Try not bring the whole family with you. 

Spread the word 🙂

25 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Doesn't that mean your list green vote goes to Mark Ruskell? He got the SG to commit to review acoustic disturbance devices used by fish farms to scare away seals etc. He's been pushing to get beavers listed as protected species, better law on tail docking. The SNP wouldn't have gone for grouse estate licensing without Green pressure. I'd urge you not to chuck away your vote, it can do a lot of good.

What are they doing for sharks though?

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Supermarkets have good stocks on all the non perishable goods I don't think there is a need to panic buy anything other than things that are fresh and from Europe in which case you can't really stock pile them anyway.

On certain things wee do however for every time there is a panic buy we can't keep up. February will be the fun month 

20 minutes ago, Paco said:

820c85f0-a333-4155-b13e-28ef7053e6ba.thumb.jpg.c4bb3805332b3e4279202e0dbabfe413.jpg

This is the infection pattern of the new strain in England up to December 9th. To be honest this creates a lot more questions than answers for me. You can clearly see fairly exponential growth in London, the East of England and the South East, to the point broadly 60% of all cases are the new strain. Certainly not good and you can see why Johnson led with this yesterday. It looks alarming.

However what is a bit surprising is that this new, 70% more contagious strain, has been present in all areas of England since September and hasn’t really taken off anywhere else - in fact in a few areas, particularly the North, it’s showing signs of slowing as a total percentage of cases. That’s got to go down as pretty damn weird, for this new super contagious strain?

My worry here is that London and the South started from a low base of virus, and thus by looking at the raw percentage of new cases which are the new strain, it seems alarming - but in most of the country, notably the North which has had high case numbers, the percentage is at worst steady and in some cases falling. Are we looking for something that isn’t there?

My other question would be what changed between Wednesday - ‘inhuman’ to cancel Christmas - and Saturday, when Christmas was cancelled and all travel banned in and out of London and the South. The data released only goes up to December 9th so the government might have more up-to-date data that looks worse. But on what we have, if anything the last few days before the 9th isn’t showing a deteriorating picture. London carries on its admittedly worrying ascent, the East slows, the South East falls. The rest of the country is showing nothing worrying, mostly falls aside from a small uptick in the North East. What has happened between Wednesday and Saturday to make the government completely shit themselves? I’d really like to know what Johnson knew, and when he knew it.

This is a lot longer than I intended, and I don’t necessarily like poking holes in the scientific advice. But that data doesn’t really present a unanimously bleak picture of a killer strain sweeping over England. In most areas it’s stable, relative to the other strains already out there. In some areas with low case loads it’s become the dominant strain.

Cynically, you might interpret it as an attack in London strikes far closer to guys like Johnson than, say the same exponential growth in Leeds.

Yet without detailed and timely intelligence and surveillance, which we don't have, then over reacting to the behaviour and patterns of a virus is far safer (in terms of generating pressure on health institutions) than under reacting. Waiting and seeing how things develop has not been a sound policy at any point in the last year.

For Sturgeon, no doubt part of this is related to being able to swing back from a 5 day relaxation she never seemed particularly comfortable with. However, I think she doesn't want to be in the position we were in March, I think her stance is that better safe than sorry. SAGE has obviously put the shitters up everyone and in that scenario, if Sturgeon has been told or believes that her choice of optics is lonely old folk at Christmas, upset kids and stories about rising stress  and isolation on the one hand, and the collapse of the NHS as it can't cope with cases, skyrocketing graphs and increasing death tolls on the other, then her choice probably looks easy, as horrible as the toll repeated lockdowns on people is.

People might forgive her a ruined Christmas, and heightened stress. They won't forgive her a collapse of government institutions responsible for the health and well being of the nation.

15 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The thing for me though, is why would Sturgeon be complicit in helping Johnston out with his scheme of convenience to cover up his mistakes. Surely she's more likely to let him stew - I'm inclined to believe that she is genuinely concerned (rightly or wrongly) that this could take off here and destroy the good (relatively speaking) work that's been done up here in suppressing it. I might be incredibly naive though. 

There have been 17 recorded instances of it in Scotland. The border is now closed for all but essential travel and people on the T4 areas of England are not allowed to leave it. The lockdown itself seems unnecessary on top of all that. 

For Johnson's part, the government has already started gubbing  its concerns by allowing schools in England to continue whilst it's being broadcast that this varient spreads more easily amongst children. It can't be that much of a worry after all then, or else remote learning would have to  be mandated to stop the spread. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

That didn't stop morons the last time buying a plethora of perishable goods that they were never going to use,  idiots.

True enough Johnston should have announced the limit on buying last night.

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

On certain things wee do however for every time there is a panic buy we can't keep up. February will be the fun month 

Getting it from the warehousing to the shops is where the empty shelves come from. But I agree February is going to be a disaster, hopefully the vaccine will keep us occupied.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a big Chinese fleet starts lurking off the edge of our EEZ like they do in Galapagos waiting for the navy to get distracted before jooking in for a cheeky trawl.

Yep, the things the chinese, spanish and west indies fishing fleets do to sharks is quite disgusting. Cutting the fins off alive and letting the sharks sink helplessly. I wouldnt be surprised if some tory donor fishing tycoon wasnt already planning on landing fins. 

Pal works in morrisons in Perth.

Apparently people have already started panic buying.
Panic buying like f**k this morning. Crazy shit. 
On a 12 hour shift today. Let's have it 
Was at Morrisons there, no queue and didn't seem too busy (apart from the drink aisle). Seemed more like folk doing usual Christmas food shop, or in my case, Christmas drink shop.