Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Bit surprised not heard anything from Sturgeon this morning. 

Probably waiting to see if we are getting our fair share of the vaccine.

With the shit show down in the South East and the hospitals at bursting point I can see them getting the vaccine rollled out in greater numbers in the Tory heartlands..

Should be great news about the Oxford/AZ vaccine being approved.

What I want to hear from the SG now is how many people need to be vaccinated and what restrictions will be eased as different categories get their jab.

We have a population of circa 5.5 million.

Afaik both vaccines are not for under 16s, so that knocks around 1 million off that figure.

Around 1.2 million are over 60.

Once those over 60, prioritised workers (e.g. health care), and other vulnerable categories are vaccinated, what is the road map to getting life approaching normality?

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Don't understand why it won't be rolled out until Jan 4th. Seems like a waste of a few days

Probably because they need to make it in large enough numbers to start rolling out for general use 

They are focusing on getting everyone their first vaccine dose.
Eqd5iRqXUAAmSEI?format=jpg%26name=medium&key=1b480aa41594a8324a80e5542ea8d04260381fc5f3415002c5cd8864357823e1
Seems like a sneaky way of them getting folk the higher efficacy but also getting the majority at least some...

How effective is the Oxford vaccine?
There are three figures doing the rounds - 62%, 70% and 90%.

The first analysis of the trial data showed 70% of people were protected from developing Covid-19 and nobody developed severe disease or needed hospital treatment.

The figure was just 62% when people were given two full doses of the jab and 90% when they were first given a half dose and then a full one.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has approved two full doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

However, unpublished data suggests that leaving a longer gap between the first and second doses increases the overall effectiveness of the jab.

There was not enough clear data to approve the half-dose, full-dose idea.

Just now, Tynierose said:

I've succumbed and offered to do some extra weekends doing the vaccines.    Just want this shitshow to end.  If I survive my vaccine next week.

I'm not that much of  humanitarian mind you, one I'm getting paid and secondly I have placed the caveat of no old firm fans on my list.

Just put some buckfast in the OF fans’ ones. They’ll be fine. 

Probably waiting to see if we are getting our fair share of the vaccine.
With the shit show down in the South East and the hospitals at bursting point I can see them getting the vaccine rollled out in greater numbers in the Tory heartlands..

This is my biggest concern now.
Before we all get excited let’s see how many they actually allocate to us first.

31 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

....Once those over 60, prioritised workers (e.g. health care), and other vulnerable categories are vaccinated, what is the road map to getting life approaching normality?

They (NS and BJ) seem to be saying the spring for Level 0 type conditions. In some ways it is good there is no detailed road map because doing so would be claiming a level of knowledge that would be more about PR rather than science. The main rate limiting factor is how quickly vaccine vials can be supplied by Pfizer and AstraZeneca and that is outside their control.

13 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I've succumbed and offered to do some extra weekends doing the vaccines.    Just want this shitshow to end.  If I survive my second vaccine next week.

I'm not that much of  humanitarian mind you, one I'm getting paid and secondly I have placed the caveat of no old firm fans on my list.

Genuinely thank you.