Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Can't mind if it was said when the Pfizer vaccine was approved, but if this really is as significant as we're told, to go from novel virus, thousands dying, world shutting down, economies tanking, real end of days stuff to multiple vaccines with 90%+ effectiveness created, manufactured and rolled out in the space of roughly a year has to go down as one of science's greatest achievements of all time. Real man on the moon stuff. 

Compare and contrast with progress on HIV research over the years and what happens annually with influenza. I was very pleasantly surprised they could do 90%+ for something like this and had assumed all the talk of a vaccine as a magic bullet was mainly about giving people a sense of hope rather than a blunt explanation of how herd immunity normally unfolds and how we would have been well and truly forked back in March and April if the IFR had been as bad as initially feared and we had been relying on Dyson to expand the supply of ventilators. Fingers crossed the immunity from the various vaccines lasts a few years minimum.

55 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Predictions: Fans won’t be back in games in 2021

Pubs will be closed until at least July

We will bounce between tiers for the next 12 months 

The general public will still not wash their hands 

With any luck your predictions are as reliable as your Ukranian fitba tips...

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

5 days a week ffs. That is pathetic. In the middle of a pandemic where we are under the tightest restrictions of people’s lifetimes and they won’t work weekends to produce more vaccines. Unbelievable.

I agree they should be working weekends but are there not multiple doses in a vial?  Sure I read 5 for the Pfizer one.

if so this would equate to 3,750,000 per week.

I doubt we’d be able to stick that many folk is so.  We could send the excess to Europe in exchange for some fish.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I agree they should be working weekends but are there not multiple doses in a vial?  Sure I read 5 for the Pfizer one.

I doubt we’d be able to stick that many folk is so.  We could send the excess to Europe in exchange for some fish.

No it says in the article its single dose vials. 

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yeah, you're right, maybe 6 if they catch the dribbles. That's a relief. Firewall on this so only caught the first lines. This from the google summary.

'The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is approved for supply in vials that contain five doses.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/uncategorised/gps-may-be-able-to-get-extra-dose-out-of-pfizer-covid-vaccine-vial/

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The article contradicts itself.  150,000 a day doesn’t equate to 300m a year at that volume.

Aye, if it was single doses at 150,000 a day five days a week that would be 39 million over a full calendar year, unless I'm making some basic arithmetical error I'm missing.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, if it was single doses at 150,000 a day five days a week that would be 39 million over a full calendar year, unless I'm making some basic arithmetical error I'm missing.

You are in your 4th decade, quite plausible at your age.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I make it 195 million if it's 5 doses per vial. I think we have to accept it's the Express and they probably made up the numbers. Apologies for linking it

Do we get our full order before anyone else, surely it doesn't work that way given they will have orders for hundreds of millions worldwide. It may take a fair while to get our full order.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
37 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do we get our full order before anyone else, surely it doesn't work that way given they will have orders for hundreds of millions worldwide. It may take a fair while to get our full order.

They're producing them all over the place, we'll probably get most of the UK ones. I'm just hoping they don't decide to prioritise the South East where it's getting out of control and Scotland has to wait a while.

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
42 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Do we get our full order before anyone else, ...

Not applying for or expecting EU and FDA approval suggests the UK is being prioritised in the short to medium term . The US will mainly go with Moderna, the EU with Pfizer, Russia with Sputnik and China with Sinovac. India is the other country that is likely to move quickly with OxfordAZ and is where most of its mass production capacity is based, so is the other destination for vials to keep an eye on right now.

16 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:
27 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
Indeed. I was subject to a similar regulation when I was in Italy and as far as lockdown restrictions go, it's hardly the most onerous.

We had to wear masks whenever we were out during lockdown. Actually easier, didn't have to think about whether it was needed.

how did the Bogans take that advice  ?