Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, philpy said:

One of our friends was at Edinburgh zoo today, you can't get in unless you can prove you live in Edinburgh. Apparently they were turning away people that had travelled from south of the border...

I'm not surprised they were turned away. I don't think the zoo has any spare cages to put them in.

27 minutes ago, G51 said:

How about dropping the patent protection on the vaccines? That seems like it might speed things up. Pfizer, AZ, Moderna, J&J etc. are already going to make a huge profit anyway.

AZ are claiming to do it no profit, to start with anyway. Making it all free knowledge to anyone could lead to shysters making cheap imitations possibly, there might be risks. Don't know enough about it but it's probably a bit more complicated than putting the formula out on the internet. I agree that the WHO should be given the money, power and propriety knowledge to facilitate global production though.

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just haven't seen any evidence that we aren't preparing for a reliable and plentiful delivery, whereas I have heard enough to think that we are. Which isn't a great deal, I'm not in the know. You seem to be assuming that we'll f**k it up before it's really started.

Well...… Yes. That's exactly what I am doing, and with good reason.

A few months ago there was much fanfare about what we were going to do to be firing this vaccine into folk at a rate of knots.

Given the stakes involved, and the scale required to get it out in the timeframe that we should all be demanding, its not unreasonable to assume that A; there would be massive media coverage of the developments, and B; we might actually see and hear some of whats going on in our communities. We are talking about one of the, if not the biggest and most important logistical undertakings anyone alive has ever witnessed and instead of looking bemused, like myself, at an apparent lack of mobilisation of resources and assuming they are going to f**k it up, you seem to be looking at the same people who have given us such pandemic hits as, a fucking shambles of a test and trace system, painfully slow ramping up of testing, moonshots, counting a pair of gloves as 2 items of PPE, countless U turns and assuming that they will succeed in this great undertaking. I realise some of those were UK gov issues, but UK wide we need this vaccine out there to alleviate restrictions and cease destroying peoples lives.

30 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

lol now I'm imagining Manchester getting fucked over by a slight change in the compound leading to a legal high alternative of the covid vaccine

Certificate of Vaccination Identification 19. It were put in at back end of November last year.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well...… Yes. That's exactly what I am doing, and with good reason.

A few months ago there was much fanfare about what we were going to do to be firing this vaccine into folk at a rate of knots.

Given the stakes involved, and the scale required to get it out in the timeframe that we should all be demanding, its not unreasonable to assume that A; there would be massive media coverage of the developments, and B; we might actually see and hear some of whats going on in our communities. We are talking about one of the, if not the biggest and most important logistical undertakings anyone alive has ever witnessed and instead of looking bemused, like myself, at an apparent lack of mobilisation of resources and assuming they are going to f**k it up, you seem to be looking at the same people who have given us such pandemic hits as, a fucking shambles of a test and trace system, painfully slow ramping up of testing, moonshots, counting a pair of gloves as 2 items of PPE, countless U turns and assuming that they will succeed in this great undertaking. I realise some of those were UK gov issues, but UK wide we need this vaccine out there to alleviate restrictions and cease destroying peoples lives.

I'm assuming that the same people who have already delivered mass flu vaccines this year are doubling their efforts and are being fully supported in delivering their new task. If I'm wrong you're welcome to give me a told you so, but I think you're being a bit presumptuous in assuming that they'll fail. It's what they do, just a bit more. Camera footage of army trucks filled with vaccines would be great, but they aren't here yet. Putting an extra fridge in a surgery wouldn't make the news.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm assuming that the same people who have already delivered mass flu vaccines this year are doubling their efforts and are being fully supported in delivering their new task. If I'm wrong you're welcome to give me a told you so, but I think you're being a bit presumptuous in assuming that they'll fail. It's what they do, just a bit more. Camera footage of army trucks filled with vaccines would be great, but they aren't here yet. Putting an extra fridge in a surgery wouldn't make the news.

Fair enough. We can agree there is a wait and see element here. Not sure the flu jab comparison works though. It nowhere near as time critical, and less than a fraction of the scale we need here. We need to get this one to almost everyone int he country.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Fair enough. We can agree there is a wait and see element here. Not sure the flu jab comparison works though. It nowhere near as time critical, and less than a fraction of the scale we need here. We need to get this one to almost everyone int he country.

I think Scotland has delivered close to a million flu vaccines in the last 2 months, it's not that huge an upscale that's needed.

Is it still the case with the newer vaccines coming up that kids are recommended not to get them? I know pregnant women are supposed to avoid too - and I presume immunocompromised people (and those with already identified severe allergies).

Has there actually been a figure released of how many people we are actually trying to jab? I know there's been various estimates of how many to reach x or y prevalence, but not sure I've seen a ballpark figure we're aiming for. 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

GGC healthboard fucked their delivery of the flu vaccine this year so im not filled with the confidence that you are. 

4 guys typing the same shite everyday.......

I'll move it on by saying Hope you all have safe New Year........As the Thailand exulated  to 61 deaths, I;'vr givin up, when they shoot me, all shout @SlipperyP

Mum & Dad, thanks.

Edited by SlipperyP

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That's England idiot, nothing to do with Scotland. Ma two certainly huvny hud it.

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/uk-novel-variant.html

This was some of the modelling that was carried out on the new variant. It reckoned that the new variant was 56% more transmissible across the board.

The older strain was modelled with about 50% less transmission amongst kids than adults. I'd love to see how they derived that assumption but seems likely that's a figure that has underpinned previous assumptions about keeping schools open.

With the new strain that means kids are now transmitting at the same rate as adults with the older strain, and adults will be transmitting at 1.5 times the rate of the older strain.

Since schools are the only thing still open as normal they therefore have the largest multiple in the table since the other age groups are subject to some degree of restrictions.

Where the new strain is dominant, you won't be able to keep the schools fully open.

What they do need to do publish though, is what percentage of the new strain is responsible for all hospitalizations due to Covid, to see if the increased transmission drives increased illness proportionally or not.

32 minutes ago, renton said:

This was some of the modelling that was carried out on the new variant. It reckoned that the new variant was 56% more transmissible across the board.

The older strain was modelled with about 50% less transmission amongst kids than adults. I'd love to see how they derived that assumption but seems likely that's a figure that has underpinned previous assumptions about keeping schools open.

With the new strain that means kids are now transmitting at the same rate as adults with the older strain, and adults will be transmitting at 1.5 times the rate of the older strain.

Since schools are the only thing still open as normal they therefore have the largest multiple in the table since the other age groups are subject to some degree of restrictions.

Where the new strain is dominant, you won't be able to keep the schools fully open.

What they do need to do publish though, is what percentage of the new strain is responsible for all hospitalizations due to Covid, to see if the increased transmission drives increased illness proportionally or not.

I was more looking for NOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, renton said:

It seems pretty clear from those stats that as feared this strain spreads more easily amongst children. Given it's been (properly) spreading in the South East since mid november(?), it would seem to explain the disparity in statistics amongst school age children there and here which has been pointed out on this thread for 6 weeks or so. 

It's certainly makes more sense as an explanation than the argument that PHE is publishing correct figures whilst the SG is massaging theirs because of their stance on schools - especially given that the SG seem to have changed their stance based on this theory of easier spread. 

What seems particularly bonkers to me is that, in the face of these stats, Gove is still talking about the schools opening more or less as normal down there following the Christmas break. 

Edited by madwullie