Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
The entire Highland Council office staff must be on furlough, that carpark is usually packed out. Was thinking there would be plenty room for another tent down the other end for mass vaccination.

Like most LAs it will be shut with staff having had 3 days annual leave removed to enable it. Emergency service only. Been that way for years. Closure is a cost saving apparently. No Scottish LAs have used the furlough scheme despite a few in England breaking ranks to do so (it was a UK and SG advisory unit to use it but not legislation)

I was getting furlough mixed up with WFH tbh. The council HQ carpark has been empty since March.

How on earth can it be deduced that Tier 4 isn't working when it's only been in place for 10 days? If you're expecting to see a deduction in that time you're in for a disappointment. 

I'm not entirely sure what can be added in this hypothetical* Tier 5 other than banning people from leaving their houses entirely. Maybe also schools being shut like they were previously. 

*definitely incoming. 

Edited by Michael W

How on earth can it be deduced that Tier 4 isn't working when it's only been in place for 10 days? If you're expecting to see a deduction in that time you're in for a disappointment. 
I'm not entirely sure what can be added in this hypothetical* Tier 5 other than banning people from leaving their houses entirely. Maybe also schools being shut like they were previously. 
*definitely incoming. 
Hospitals must be close to being overrun already.
This hasn't happened before so new measures will be introduced.
Schools closed and curfew likely.
Hopefully that will allow things to stabilise in jan/Feb.

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

*definitely incoming. 

Schools closed and fully online learning imo

My guess would be that if the Sunak 15 million vaccinations by February plan is stuck to, with the AZ/Oxford vaccine is approved then it'll likely be tier 4 and online learning until at least the start of February.

Hospitals must be close to being overrun already.
This hasn't happened before so new measures will be introduced.
Schools closed and curfew likely.
Hopefully that will allow things to stabilise in jan/Feb.

The English need to keep schools off, they are making an almighty c**t of things. On population they should have 12 times the cases we have. Instead they have 40 times

Also we should keep schools off or move to blended. There’s just no point in restricting life to this degree only to let the virus rip anyway
Putting schools back full time in August was worth a shot. I understand why but now it’s time to hold their hands up and say f**k it, do something else till we get jagging

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I was getting furlough mixed up with WFH tbh. The council HQ carpark has been empty since March.

Just about everyone in that building has been WFH since March. The few staff who need to go in are able to park on the Glenurqhuart Road side or in the courtyard where the old part of the buildings are. We were emailed months ago telling us not to use the main car park if we have to go in to the office.

I know pre October 31st the council had a policy of not putting any staff on furlough, any office staff unable to work from home and not allowed into the building were redeployed elsewhere. One young lad in our office has been working at the recycling centre instead since March.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

One young lad in our office has been working at the recycling centre instead since March.

That'll be a bit of a culture shock for him! Used to have to go there almost daily for work, they're nutters. :lol:

One of the things I'll miss the most about the pandemic is people condemning others for doing something that they themselves were also doing.  A prime example of this was one of my wifes family who went to SOuth Queensferry for a walk and later regaled my wife on the phone with "The people there clearly aren't taking it seriously, there were cars parked all up and down each side of the road and loads of people out walking!" to which my wife had to gently respond with "but you drove there for a walk and parked the car in exactly the same place and did exactly the same thing..."

One of the things I'll miss the most about the pandemic is people condemning others for doing something that they themselves were also doing.  A prime example of this was one of my wifes family who went to SOuth Queensferry for a walk and later regaled my wife on the phone with "The people there clearly aren't taking it seriously, there were cars parked all up and down each side of the road and loads of people out walking!" to which my wife had to gently respond with "but you drove there for a walk and parked the car in exactly the same place and did exactly the same thing..."
This has been a constant throughout. I can remember back in the summer when the beaches were packeda and ITV news interviewed a woman who ranted about people going to the beach. The fact that she was also at the beach doing literally the exact same thing as the people she was moaning about seemed completely lost on her.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Highest number ever recorded on Scotland, apparently. Won't be surprised if there's been a reporting backlog over Christmas. 

More worrying is the testing numbers, which look low but to be expected given the Christmas break I guess. Will be interesting to see what the overall testing numbers for the UK when they're reported. The week to the 23rd of December was seeing 500k tests per day and I would imagine we're currently a fair bit below that.