Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mixed news from Israel. 

2 million arms punctured and those that have had 2 doses looking like excellent protection, however, single dosers not looking as good as hoped. 

Their cabinet is even considering new restrictions ie tightening up despite the widespread vaccination. Some scientists suggesting 30-40% are the new variant first recorded in England. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped?__twitter_impression=true

Edit: apologies, didn't see this was already being discussed. 

I think the fact their cabinet is considering tighter restrictions sheds some light on how worrisome they find it. 

Edited by madwullie
Didn't read full thread

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

You're looking for Us For Them. You'll find them on Facebook or on the BBC.

No idea who they are and I really don't care enough about schools to look them up, but why place restrictions on things like pubs and cinemas at local authority level but not schools?

26 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve friends who live in Florida, think they’ve been three times since it reopened. Taking advantage lack of queues!

Yeh, for me, if im allowed to travel and studies show if im vaccinated and a very low risk in terms of transmission etc I’ll not be worried about it, I wouldnt go if I hadnt been however, so long as i’d be low risk to anyone else and catching it then cant see the harm. 

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone contracts covid so long as it prevents people becoming gravely ill or sick to the point they need an ICU.

0% efficacy would be acceptable if it cuts out 100% of severely ill people. Of course those figures would never happen but surely even if it has a low efficacy but protects very high percentage of vulnerable people from getting gravely sick, it will have done its job.

Is that correct? I thought the vaccine protects you from becoming seriously ill. It doesn’t necessarily stop you getting the virus. Is protection not something like 50% after the first dose? So there would still be a 50% chance of becoming infected if you were in contact with somebody who had it.  And they don’t know yet whether it prevents transmission.  It also takes 10 to 14 days before you are protected.

That was just a wee joke about my food, don't worry I'm not going to be doing anything differently to before.

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone contracts covid so long as it prevents people becoming gravely ill or sick to the point they need an ICU.
0% efficacy would be acceptable if it cuts out 100% of severely ill people. Of course those figures would never happen but surely even if it has a low efficacy but protects very high percentage of vulnerable people from getting gravely sick, it will have done its job.

That’s what I’ve been saying, we don’t shut life down to a standstill because folk arny feelin well

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So it's working almost exactly as we were told it would?

Too early to say. I think we should continue to avoid doing any activity other than walking in the cold for an hour a day for the next 6 years just to be on the safe side.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That was just a wee joke about my food, don't worry I'm not going to be doing anything differently to before.

Apologies. Got that you were joking but thought you may have been serious about not infecting anybody. Glad you’ve had your first jag. 

I did mention on here weeks ago that the first waves of vaccines would bring the first waves of 'it's not working!!!!' panic.

Partly fuelled by the shocking revelation that despite receiving a vaccine with less than 100% efficacy, some people will still contract covid and partly fuelled by those who think 'vaccine done, I'm in the clear', go out and inevitably get a mild case of covid, contributing to a surge in positive cases.

What a startling revelation to see both of those things happen almost fucking instantly and the panic-stricken headlines to accompany it.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I did mention on here weeks ago that the first waves of vaccines would bring the first waves of 'it's not working!!!!' panic.

Partly fuelled by the shocking revelation that despite receiving a vaccine with less than 100% efficacy, some people will still contract covid and partly fuelled by those who think 'vaccine done, I'm in the clear', go out and inevitably get a mild case of covid, contributing to a surge in positive cases.

What a startling revelation to see both of those things happen.

It's helpful in that it reinforces the message as to why there is a need for restrictions to remain in place for about 3 weeks following the completion of vaccines for a particular at risk group, but that's about it.

The media in the UK have been utterly dreadful throughout the whole debacle tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So it's working almost exactly as we were told it would?

The article says its lower than Pfizer had said, and the Israelis had expected. But I dunno, reading the twitter comments, it's impossible to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is some swivel eyed lunatic with an agenda (and a podcast). 

This has almost become an ideological issue now, and people rushing to pigeonhole others that don't subscribe to their particular views is really unhelpful (this isn't a dig at you mate, more a general observation). 

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

That’s what I’ve been saying, we don’t shut life down to a standstill because folk arny feelin well

But the Devi's of the world and other head cases think that nobody should die of Covid - and they're in people like Sturgeon's ear as she continues to desperately ensure she looks like a Poundland Jacinda Ardern in the eyes of her borderline cultists.

Of course, about two million people died of TB last year, all in third world countries, but who cares about that. Death isn't allowed any more - and until the obsession stops in the media, I don't see how we move past this.

Before the pandemic, 1,500 people died every single day in the UK. People just have no sense of perspective or reality and it's going to take some time to move on from.

Edited by Elixir

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The QoS Arena vaccination centre has been running for two days now. They are in there tomorrow too but only three days a week at the moment. It's certainly picking up though.

My Dad's getting his at the Loreburn Hall tomorrow.  My wife's been doing the vaccinating for the last two days in Lockerbie and Annan. A friend's mum's getting hers on Thursday.  It's happening down here alright.

Just now, madwullie said:

The article says its lower than Pfizer had said, and the Israelis had expected. But I dunno, reading the twitter comments, it's impossible to tell who knows what they're talking about and who is some swivel eyed lunatic with an agenda (and a podcast). 

This has almost become an ideological issue now, and people rushing to pigeonhole others that don't subscribe to their particular views is really unhelpful (this isn't a dig at you mate, more a general observation). 

Lower than Pfizer had said was always going to be the case though. That was quite widely acknowledged at the point where they'd admitted that the 90%+ was based on those who were symptomatic and the figures were skewed.

Similarly, the figures dropping to 52% are potentially skewed the other way if they've picked everyone jabbed in the first 3 weeks who have contacted covid, given that we know the protection rate is low or non-existent in the first couple of weeks in particular.

Again though, even 52% efficacy in the very short term is a strong result if, as suggested it reduces the severity of the virus in the vast majority of those who do get it. As long as the people getting it continue to be sensible in the first few weeks then I fail to understand why this could be seen as anything other than a good thing.