Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Below is a graph of the sources of the infection outbreaks during the first wave.

Up until the 13th of March travellers arriving from Hubei province, Iran and Italy were advised to self isolate. This was changed to general advice for those with symptoms to self isolate.

The peak day for imported infections was March 15th.  After this travel fell steeply and with it imported cases in the first wave.

I don’t have the figures to hand but I believe that during the summer when cases reduced significantly the majority of cases in Scotland and the UK could be traced back to variants from Spain.

9FA2275D-102E-4B77-912C-13D17FD0B194.png

And there's your problem - good ol' freedom-loving Blighty. Can't go telling the public what to do. Has Ad-lb wormed his way into the No 10 advisory team?

7 hours ago, Left Back said:

ETA.  If you can provide credible scientific evidence that closing the border in March would have made the slightest bit of difference then I would of course be interested to read it.

I see no reason why if traveler quarantine was in force we wouldn't be in a situation similar to that in NZ or Aus imported cases drove England's second lockdown and the new strain drove Scotland's second lockdown and England's third.

See Piers Morgan, if he's as pissed off with the Tories as he says he is, then why doesn't he vote for another party*, and urge his millions of Twitter followers to do the same?

*Not another right-wing party, of course.

The UK border should have been shut when lockdown began last March. I remember back then folk were still heading abroad on their holidays. Absolutely mental behaviour. IMO. Nobody should have been allowed to fly anywhere - both domestically and internationally - unless it was for essential work. There was just no need for it. That for me is the biggest f**k up of them all.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Below is a graph of the sources of the infection outbreaks during the first wave.

Up until the 13th of March travellers arriving from Hubei province, Iran and Italy were advised to self isolate. This was changed to general advice for those with symptoms to self isolate.

The peak day for imported infections was March 15th.  After this travel fell steeply and with it imported cases in the first wave.

I don’t have the figures to hand but I believe that during the summer when cases reduced significantly the majority of cases in Scotland and the UK could be traced back to variants from Spain.

9FA2275D-102E-4B77-912C-13D17FD0B194.png

That's looks dramatic, but the numbers are like a spit in the wind compared to level of community infection in mid March. As @Left Back said, the boat had sailed.

Edited by welshbairn

It's galling to see the media going for the "Poor Boris he tried so hard and look how sad he is" angle. The whole pandemic has been a catalogue of the Tories fumbling their response to it before then pointing and blaming the public for causing the virus to run out of control. There's been points where Whitty's stood up and said "we're only now seeing the effects of what you've done". 

That bumbling fucking idiot standing up saying "I take full responsibility for the government's response to Covid" yesterday is just empty words. If he was taking responsibility he'd have handed in his resignation and fucked off. Meanwhile big limp dick Starmer's on the sidelines doing next to bugger all with regards to holding them responsible. 

See Piers Morgan, if he's as pissed off with the Tories as he says he is, then why doesn't he vote for another party*, and urge his millions of Twitter followers to do the same?
*Not another right-wing party, of course.

Can’t be the sage voice of reason or the bleeding heart leftie if there’s any party to the left of Sauron in government.

Think a big part of the commentariat’s collective shitting itself over Labour 2015-2019 was that their status as “the bit of a leftie” at the dinner party was under threat.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

The UK border should have been shut when lockdown began last March. I remember back then folk were still heading abroad on their holidays. Absolutely mental behaviour. IMO. Nobody should have been allowed to fly anywhere - both domestically and internationally - unless it was for essential work. There was just no need for it. That for me is the biggest f**k up of them all.

Think the reality is that it had arrived during the peak season for respiratory infections in the UK and had started to spread in the community sooner than was realised, so if life continued normally it was only a matter of time before there was going to be the Italian scenario even if borders had been closed a month sooner. Lockdown related measures like social distancing, hand sanitising and mask wearing that we are familiar with now are what could have made a significant difference in late January by suppressing the R0 number. Doing that later was largely a case of bolting the stable door after the horse had already bolted by late March once the exponential curve was rocketing upwards. A much larger portion of the population than is generally realised got their chance to play Russian roulette with the virus at that point.

The biggest cockup was believing the completely over the top modelling numbers from Imperial College and emptying hospitals in anticipation of the massive number of severe cases that would arrive if the IFR was really 2.0%. That never came close materialising (a  bit like those Dyson ventilators Boris ordered), because the IFR was only a tenth of what the models had assumed in reality. In the process of emptying hospital wards, elderly patients with COVID were being moved back into care homes without proper testing leading to a wave of deaths in that context that often could have been avoided with better shielding policies. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

40 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It's galling to see the media going for the "Poor Boris he tried so hard and look how sad he is" angle. The whole pandemic has been a catalogue of the Tories fumbling their response to it before then pointing and blaming the public for causing the virus to run out of control. There's been points where Whitty's stood up and said "we're only now seeing the effects of what you've done". 

That bumbling fucking idiot standing up saying "I take full responsibility for the government's response to Covid" yesterday is just empty words. If he was taking responsibility he'd have handed in his resignation and fucked off. Meanwhile big limp dick Starmer's on the sidelines doing next to bugger all with regards to holding them responsible. 

In the days before he was firmed into lockdown measures, he was giving a speech at Oxford rambling on about how we shouldn't be hysterical etc and this global Britain nonsense. People who vote Tory and cite their pro business approach are absolute fruitloops.

It's also unreal how many people ate up the Treasury response as especially generous and far reaching.

30 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That’s my da (72) got the first dose of the vaccine. I haven’t heard from him since so presumably Bill Gates has been assuming control.

Hopefully Bill takes control and makes him pay his full liability of Tax ;)

41 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Tom Tugendhat has found the solution, the P&B way

Heating and open windows being, err, part of the Government's guidance for reducing the risk of indoor transmission (e.g. at Christmas).

When the vulnerable groups are vaccinated there's no reason to give a toss whether someone comes back from Ibiza with the sniffles for a few days. This border control reflex when is just the latest collective cranial detachment of this failed state and its people.

Edited by vikingTON