Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I wouldn’t book any travel at the moment, not because the government says so but becuase practically it’s a nightmare, i still have to go to work, where if i catch covid in run up to going away I’d have to isolate and therefore cancel.
Then if the travel was abroad i could get tested on arrival and if positive end up in quarantine potentially for longer than I planned on being away and then have to get home at my own expense and then do another quarantine when i get back
Or the goalposts could be changed whilst I’m away and end up with a 1500 pound bill for some shity airport hotel
Nah , no thanks
I'm looking at October at he earliest, not only due to our own personal situation (wife needs more surgery then radiotherapy), but the reality that even if they do relax travel restrictions some resorts will still be limited in what they provide.

We rolled last year’s cancelled holiday with TUI over to this year because they were offering extra bonuses/upgrades.   I’d imagine there will be a lot of that 80% who are in the same category.
We took the money - because even after getting 20% extra with vouchers the holidays were still way more than we paid.

Also having had 3 out of 4 longer holidays cancelled in the last year and a half (2 with Covid - to Costa Rica and Turkey; the other to Tunisia with Thomas Cook) we don't fancy going through the rigmarole of booking only to wait ages on them paying back.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Neil Ferguson still being given air time on Sky news with the “but variants” patter.

Has he ever been proven to be right about anything?

Aye he was right when he thought he could get his married bird to visit him for a shag during first lockdown and yet still somehow retain a position of undue influence.

Optimistic but grounded article from Andrew Pollard from a few days ago: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/vaccines-covid-virus-mutate-years

However, ongoing transmission of new variants is likely to occur both in naturally infected and vaccinated populations for years to come. New mutations allow ongoing infection in the nose and throat so that the virus can survive. Coronaviruses are very common in humans, and almost all of us will have had coronavirus infections in childhood, but we still get reinfected and develop “colds” with them throughout life. This is a very likely future pattern for the pandemic coronavirus.

If protection against severe disease and hospitalisation can be sustained in the future through the current generation of vaccines, we may well have contained the problem of pressures on our health systems, and the end of the pandemic, in that sense, could be in sight.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

He's an absolute thundercunt.  Another slavering shite.  Niall there is an outbreak of whatever disease on Vulcan, the population is 10m,   well says Niall I can forsee 30m deaths at least.  Dick.

Never mind that. How long have you known an asthma inhaler cures covid? Don't lie!

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Neil Ferguson still being given air time on Sky news with the “but variants” patter.

Has he ever been proven to be right about anything?

Wee Neil thinks we'll have herd immunity by the end of the year: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9130575/Neil-Ferguson-says-herd-immunity-achieved-UK-end-year.html

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

These days, if you publically claim a company is operated as a scam (criminal) enterprise with no supporting evidence, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

That this is treated as a free speech issue is, frankly, stupid

My uncle knows a boy who was thrown in jail for saying he was English

So far today we've had the Hancock Doom & Gloom statement followed by the Sridhar Doom and Gloom interview, so while all that's been going on we've also got,

Travel company Tui has said it expects to run 80% of its normal capacity for this summer, with 2.8 million customers already booked for its holidays.

The statement follows optimism from other travel firms that the industry is set for recovery as coronavirus vaccination programmes advance.

Well, they can't all be right !!!

Would be interesting to know what percentage of those bookings are new ones, and how many were rearranged from last year.

Classic Leitch on Scotland Tonight .

People "need to get their head round" that the "trade off" for a "little bit more normality at home this year" is going to be "no overseas travel".

Be interesting to see if that is a cross party stance come May's election as that's pretty strong language. Unbelievably the interviewer just giggled and cracked wee funnies with him throughout. He had her eating out the palm of his hand.

He also described the way he thinks people should view vaccination as "just another treatment, a preventive measure rather than a cure"

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

People "need to get their head round" that the "trade off" for a "little bit more normality at home this year" is going to be "no overseas travel".

Be interesting to see if that is a cross party stance come May's election as that's pretty strong language.

Who made him a Govt minister?  He really, really rips my knitting.

37 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
New-style JSA? It's Conts-based.

6 months only though.

I'd hope restrictions would easy by the time that's up tbh. It's £74.35 a week just now - not much but might help. Obvs depends on @djchapsticks wife's NI conts in the last two benefit years, but potentially worth a looking into. 

As VT Says UC is an option IF the household income is low enough. This is back of a fag packet stuff, but an example of a couple with no dependent kids and not renting their home. Wife not working, husband earns a £1000 per month. 

£594.04 (Standard Allowance for a couple over 25) per month

LESS

£630 earned income (63% taper rate)

= No entitlement. 

However if they have dependent kids it's a potentially different scenario as works allowances and child elements come into the equation. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Be interesting to see if that is a cross party stance come May's election as that's pretty strong language. Unbelievably the interviewer just giggled and cracked wee funnies with him throughout. He had her eating out the palm of his hand.

He also described the way he thinks people should view vaccination as "just another treatment, a preventive measure rather than a cure"

This, if true, should be coming from the Government, not their advisor*. He's being given far too much air time and has no authority to be making these types of decision. He's being sent out essentially to take the bullet for the SG. 

*They are only advisors after all. Who could forget the advice on sporting events back in March, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I never knew Clownshoes was up for election.

Scary thing is, NS is in an echo chamber with Leitch and Sridhar in each ear, and it is exactly how they'll try to play it.  "If you want kids in school, pubs and restaurants open, and go to the fitba, you can forget about travel this year, it's a trade off".    It's already started.  It's BS, but it's started.