Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Why is it a no win game?  Surely it’s a chance to show true leadership.

So she issues a very detailed reopening of every sector starting from August. You would be happy with that as it showed her true leadership qualities ?

Not in the slightest as there would be no way to justify it.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Politicians should be held to account for every decision they make.  It doesn’t matter who holds them to account but everything should be justifiable.  If the can’t justify the decision they shouldn’t be making it.

They were elected to lead, not to shrug their shoulders.

Politicians are held accountable, it’s called ‘an election’.  If you have an alternate method I’d be interested to know what it is.

Politicians should be held to account for every decision they make.  It doesn’t matter who holds them to account but everything should be justifiable.  If the can’t justify the decision they shouldn’t be making it.
Surely re-election is the ultimate justification. It's literally a public endorsement. If the public at large feel the SNP have handled things badly they will vote them out. Never an hour passes on here without someone stating their intentions to do exactly that.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Unfortunately we can't predict the future, only what we think will happen.

There's nothing more tedious in Scottish politics than watching all these washouts trying to catch her out rather than question her about things that really matter. 

Edited by ayrmad

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Surely re-election is the ultimate justification. It's literally a public endorsement. If the public at large feel the SNP have handled things badly they will vote them out. Never an hour passes on here without someone stating their intentions to do exactly that.

It is, I stated this on this thread a few days ago.  That is the time for the public to hold them to account.

the previous post was stating that the government should announce nothing that allows the opposition or media to hold them to account.

Edited by Left Back

Isn't the booster only for the AZ/Oxford vaccine to tackle the South African variant, given the well-publicised problems with efficiacy? 

The merit of this when the SA variant is present but doesn't seem to have taken hold in the UK (or indeed in Europe) is of course debatable. I can foresee in future boosters being given for travel if there's a particular variant on the go in the destination country, probably at insistence of the country concerned. 

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I'm assuming you read all my post, so i'm confused with this reply.

I did but annual flu jabs are for everyone not just the most vulnerable so why would C19 be any different.

I guess it depends on your definition of everyone.

The vulnerable and those with significant comorbidities plus many front line health workers get a free jab. Others can choose to purchase the flu jab. When I worked I got a free flu jab, I pay for one now. I'm not sure this meets the definition of "everyone".

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

If I was Sturgeon the last thing I'd do is give out too many dates or criteria for opening things up and to what extent, that's a no win game in Scottish politics for the SNP. 
FWIW, I'm pretty confident I'll be eating and drinking out before August is finished, if it happens earlier I'll be delighted and if it happens later then I'll worry about it then, not convinced that the order of opening up will be the same as the last time. 
You can see furlough continuing until August?

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Not in the slightest as there would be no way to justify it.

So you have simply backed up the original point you argued against. You want a detailed timeline that suits you basically. Talk of true leadership was just wasted breath.

I said nothing of the sort.  I believe there should be a routemap based on objective criteria, not dates.  Saying if x happens then y can happen would show leadership.  The current shrugging of shoulders by government(s) is not what they were elected to do.

Just now, 10menwent2mow said:
33 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
If I was Sturgeon the last thing I'd do is give out too many dates or criteria for opening things up and to what extent, that's a no win game in Scottish politics for the SNP. 
FWIW, I'm pretty confident I'll be eating and drinking out before August is finished, if it happens earlier I'll be delighted and if it happens later then I'll worry about it then, not convinced that the order of opening up will be the same as the last time. 

You can see furlough continuing until August?

I don't know when furlough will end that's just my personal outside date for those things happening, no point in me setting a target that will not or is unlikely to materialise, I prefer Conservative targets. 

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Given the nick of this thread today, there's going to be some amount of square-goes once social distancing is out the window.  

Start taking booking slots for Ruel Street.

Vaccinated Maws to be brought.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I said nothing of the sort.  I believe there should be a routemap based on objective criteria, not dates.  Saying if x happens then y can happen would show leadership.  The current shrugging of shoulders by government(s) is not what they were elected to do.

We'll I'm not convinced that the previous cutoffs for the different levels will be the same this time. 

It is, I stated this on this thread a few days ago.
Not long to wait then for the public verdict. I also don't buy this "the cult" stuff. A mere 20 years ago Labour could have put up a 200yo skeletal corpse in places like North and East Ayrshire and as long as it was wearing a red rosette it would have been elected. In my younger days I did polling clerk work at elections, people used to come in and actually ask us "which ones the labour box". It's nonsense to think the SNP just have to turn up to be re-elected. It's an insult to public intelligence. If enough people are unhappy at their handling of it they will lose, it will (or should be) the main angle of attack for the opposition parties and if they can't win in that scenario I doubt they will ever get a better chance. To say there is no accountability of politicians is simply untrue.

The vulnerable and those with significant comorbidities plus many front line health workers get a free jab. Others can choose to purchase the flu jab. When I worked I got a free flu jab, I pay for one now. I'm not sure this meets the definition of "everyone".

I meant everyone who gets it so yes your right. If you get a flu jab you get it annually. I suspect C19 could well end up the same.

We have had that though just yesterday. If we keep foreign travel closed we can open up domestically was the very chat last night and that went down like a lead balloon.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, Left Back said:
It is, I stated this on this thread a few days ago.

Not long to wait then for the public verdict. I also don't buy this "the cult" stuff. A mere 20 years ago Labour could have put up a 200yo skeletal corpse in places like North and East Ayrshire and as long as it was wearing a red rosette it would have been elected. In my younger days I did polling clerk work at elections, people used to come in and actually ask us "which ones the labour box". It's nonsense to think the SNP just have to turn up to be re-elected. It's an insult to public intelligence. If enough people are unhappy at their handling of it they will lose, it will (or should be) the main angle of attack for the opposition parties and if they can't win in that scenario I doubt they will ever get a better chance. To say there is no accountability of politicians is simply untrue.

Absolute rot.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I meant everyone who gets it so yes your right. If you get a flu jab you get it annually. I suspect C19 could well end up the same.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.