Coronavirus (COVID-19)

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This chap not quite getting the hotel quarantine !

Traveller staying in quarantine hotel complains it is 'worst experience of my life' 
Anthony Pium, who returned from Brazil yesterday, claimed he is being "held against his will" .

1 day in...aye just feel free to check out whenever you want Tony !

Maybe he should complain to Amnesty International.

41 minutes ago, Snafu said:

For a comparison I've not heard anything about whether those people who caught the SARS-COV-1 virus still have an immune system memory of this virus?

I'm fairly certain very early on I read something about people with previous exposure to SARS still having T cell memory of it.

It was suggested that might be partially why East Asian countries had fared much better at containing Covid than the west.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Thread about tests for easing restrictions. Some sobering figures in there about hospital and ICU numbers. 

Will be similar strategy up here, going by what I've heard from the high heid yins.

Did you say the boy who was videoing the hotel room as if it was anything other than a normal hotel room. It was brilliant.
Not sure what they honestly expected. My understanding is the UK regime is a lot less restrictive than some who literally don't let you out the room. Think we permit visits to a secure outside area for fresh air or a smoke.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Test 4 from that twitter thread, whilst it sounds like a nice idea, is surely a test which by it's very nature can never be met/passed

Why not?  We can identify new strains.  We need a test and trace system to isolate people that contract them until it can be proven they aren't vaccine busting is what I think he's getting at.

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

Given that the governing party is going to get a majority unless Murray Walker turns up and announces nothing can stop them now, not sure how the election will shake up the SG. 

Freeman will thankfully be gone, but other than that? Nada. 

I think it's safe to say that Swinney will not be in the Education brief.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Are we forgetting that immunity from natural infection exists? The EU vaccine rollout is slow right now, but it will pick up and by the end of summer, when transmission and deaths will be minimal anyway, so by the onset of autumn there will easily be 60-70%+ immunity in the northern hemisphere. That will stop 'worst pandemic in a century' pressures on health care systems.

It is still an optimistic prediction given the likes of Spain will only be at 70% vaccination levels by September - think you are looking a few months later than August - I would think October is more likely.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Why the f**k would you go into lockdown if the NHS and, more importantly, ICU's, weren't getting stretched?

I'm trying to think of ways to extend it so I can remain as isolated as possible. I might try the coeliac angle and compromised immunithing.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Thread about tests for easing restrictions. Some sobering figures in there about hospital and ICU numbers. 

Part 16 of that thread - “Trust leaders, whose job is to save all lives/avoid all unnecessary patient harm, worried by concepts like ‘acceptable death rates to allow return to normal’ or ‘same death rate as seasonal flu’.”

Trust leaders, please file your nonsense worry directly in the bin. So we should lockdown until there is never to be another death from Covid? Why is the same death rate as seasonal flu such a wildly uncomfortable scenario when it’s been... entirely comfortable for you every year previous to this (appreciate that having both Covid and flu deaths simultaneously is obviously more than flu alone, but it’s being made out there as if any death rate from Covid is unacceptable)?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Fingers crossed! And to ask a stupid question once you have been infected do we know how long that lasts? Because obviously the vaccine trains the immune system to do something to the virus itself, immunity from infection won't achieve that, right? 

Some of the most detailed studies show it is at least six months:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55651518

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55905158

Indeed, immunity from natural infection is likely to be more robust than that of current vaccines. Current vaccines target the spike protein which is only one 'part' of the virus. Natural immunity will provide a much more broad immune response:

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

What you mean it wasn’t over last August?

As I've said before, it always felt inevitable to me that we'd get smashed this winter. You just have to look at this graph:

1918_spanish_flu_waves.gif

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

If you think we'll have no SD restrictions in August batter on, I don't. 

I don't either, which is what I'm criticising.

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It is still an optimistic prediction given the likes of Spain will only be at 70% vaccination levels by September - think you are looking a few months later than August - I would think October is more likely.

'Only be at 70% vaccination'? In any case: *current rates of production* will only increase as more vaccines are approved and production scaled up.

Spain is another country that will have a fairly high degree of immunity from natural infection.

Regardless, even if it took continental Europe until the autumn to finish their roll outs, deaths and transmission will naturally fall until then over spring and summer.

Edited by Elixir

Was there a reason why 19 were on the committee for this zero covid bollocks? Is some wanky nod to it being covid 19 so we therefore need to continue with the 19 theme [emoji58]
Was 200 but they only managed to brainwash 19

115 didn't have a brain to brainwash

3 hours ago, Scosha said:

Northern Ireland extend lockdown to 1st April. NS to follow no doubt:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56101041

A lockdown to the beginning of April will mean my business will have lost 25 weeks trading in just over one year, that’s not including the two week period we close over Christmas and the New Year.  We’ve managed to keep going but it’s been very difficult.  I’m sure there will be many businesses in the same situation and many in a worst one.

It doesn’t help when some folk are asking when they’re getting their work done!  “There’s a lockdown; we can’t tell you”.

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

I still don't see how there can be or will be widespread support for any of this once deaths and hospitalisations return to normal levels post-vaccination.

1 person died yesterday from aids - national sex lockdown