Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The Scotsman running with the story that the actions of Rangers fans could delay the country from coming out of lockdown.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers-fans-what-happened-in-george-square-glasgow-and-could-football-gathering-delay-lockdown-exit-3158315

'Nicola Sturgeon suggested that the mass gathering of football fans could stop the country from coming out of lockdown.

In a Tweet, the First Minister congratulated Rangers on their win, but added: "Gathering in crowds just now risks lives, and could delay exit from lockdown for everyone else.

"If those gathering care at all about the safety of others & the country, they will go home.”

Later on, Ms Sturgeon tweeted again, saying she was “angry” that the crowds had formed.

She said it was "infuriating and disgraceful" to see the fans "risk our progress" after everyone else sticking to lockdown rules had made "so many sacrifices".'

'And on Monday 8 March, the Deputy First Minister John Swinney admitted that the exit from lockdown could be delayed after the incident.

Mr Swinney said the government would be guided by the data but said difficult decisions would be made if infection rates rose in the country as a result of the weekend crowds.

"We have said we will be driven by the data and if it goes in the wrong direction because of what went on at the weekend, that will have an effect on our decision-making,” he said.

"We have been transparent about this. The data will drive our decisions.

"If the data suddenly, because of all that commotion at the weekend, goes in the wrong direction we will have difficult decisions to make."

Mr Swinney pledged that the government would speak to management at Rangers.'

Yesterday has maybe handed Nicola a wee unexpected positive if there's a wee uptick in a few weeks, far easier than having an adult conversation. 

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Yesterday has maybe handed Nicola a wee unexpected positive if there's a wee uptick in a few weeks, far easier than having an adult conversation. 

She'd be wasted having an adult conversation with you tbh.

Far better just giving you a sticker and maybe a wee lollipop to congratulate you on just how well you've managed the restrictions. Maybe even a wee certificate too.

Edited by Todd_is_God

25 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

With empirical evidence of this strength I find it difficult to disagree!

Playing that game, if you consider that I'll have recently seen around 30 different folk over in there all wearing masks, today's observation reflects a statistically significant change in behaviour (chi square it and you'll get p <.05) 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

She'd be wasted having an adult conversation with you tbh.

Far better just giving you a sticker and maybe a wee lollipop to congratulate you on just how well you've managed the restrictions. Maybe even a wee certificate too.

Rhubarb or apple. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Boring clown "ayrmad" has joined the 8MileBUs and the Ad Libs of this world on my Ignore List.

I'm gutted, it'll save your finger getting chafed. 

16 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Playing that game, if you consider that I'll have recently seen around 30 different folk over in there all wearing masks, today's observation reflects a statistically significant change in behaviour (chi square it and you'll get p <.05) 

How come the Brechin Butchers is not in my daily stats ?

Is it Bruce Brymer or Watt the Butcher ?

Currently Virus suppressed in Brechin but I will look out for a local surge consistent with a spike in sausage demand.

image.jpeg.335326ffa5dd79a1cac3b1d996ae76a1.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Scotsman running with the story that the actions of Rangers fans could delay the country from coming out of lockdown.
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers-fans-what-happened-in-george-square-glasgow-and-could-football-gathering-delay-lockdown-exit-3158315

'Nicola Sturgeon suggested that the mass gathering of football fans could stop the country from coming out of lockdown.
In a Tweet, the First Minister congratulated Rangers on their win, but added: "Gathering in crowds just now risks lives, and could delay exit from lockdown for everyone else.
"If those gathering care at all about the safety of others & the country, they will go home.”
Later on, Ms Sturgeon tweeted again, saying she was “angry” that the crowds had formed.
She said it was "infuriating and disgraceful" to see the fans "risk our progress" after everyone else sticking to lockdown rules had made "so many sacrifices".'

'And on Monday 8 March, the Deputy First Minister John Swinney admitted that the exit from lockdown could be delayed after the incident.
Mr Swinney said the government would be guided by the data but said difficult decisions would be made if infection rates rose in the country as a result of the weekend crowds.
"We have said we will be driven by the data and if it goes in the wrong direction because of what went on at the weekend, that will have an effect on our decision-making,” he said.
"We have been transparent about this. The data will drive our decisions.
"If the data suddenly, because of all that commotion at the weekend, goes in the wrong direction we will have difficult decisions to make."
Mr Swinney pledged that the government would speak to management at Rangers.'
Easing restrictions should only be delayed if data supports it and the way things are going that shouldn't be the case, regardless of what happened at the weekend.

Lockdown is a public health measure and should only be used as such. It shouldn't be seen by the government as some form of deterrent against "bad behaviour".

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

How come the Brechin Butchers is not in my daily stats ?

Is it Bruce Brymer or Watt the Butcher ?

Currently Virus suppressed in Brechin but I will look out for a local surge consistent with a spike in sausage demand.

I left Brechin when I was 4.  F*** knows.

However, given the choice, I'd opt for Brymer's seeing as Andrea Brymer is a tidy.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Easing restrictions should only be delayed if data supports it and the way things are going that shouldn't be the case, regardless of what happened at the weekend.

Lockdown is a public health measure and should only be used as such. It shouldn't be seen by the government as some form of deterrent against "bad behaviour".

To be fair, that's exactly what Swinney said - some chump at the Scotsman has decided to spin it into a story.

Thinking back to that nutjob earlier wanting masks on things like public transport to be a permanent thing "just in case", there's going to be a time not too far away where places all over the world remove their mask mandates, and there are also places which never had the requirement either.

Do these people honestly think that people in the UK are going to see that happening, nothing bad happen as a result, and just keep wanting to be made to wear masks in indoor public places / football stadiums anyway?

Edited by Todd_is_God

To be fair, that's exactly what Swinney said - some chump at the Scotsman has decided to spin it into a story.
Ah fair enough then. I was skiving from work and replied before reading the actual article.

9 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I reckon the advice to wear masks in busy places will stay around for ever, especially during flu season. Even if no longer compulsory and not just in the U.K. 

Advice is fine. As it can be ignored.

I just can't see a situation where people in the UK are needing to wear masks at the football, in restaurants whenever they leave the table, on the journey to work, all day at work, then again on the journey home, whilst a stone's throw away in Europe there are no such requirements, nor is there in the US, Australia or New Zealand.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I reckon the advice to wear masks in busy places will stay around for ever, especially during flu season. Even if no longer compulsory and not just in the U.K. 

Asian countries have been advising this for years, and it's the norm that if you have a sniffle or beginnings of a cold to wear a mask when in public. 

It could be that we become like that. I'm not sure that western society is conformist enough for that though. 

40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Thinking back to that nutjob earlier wanting masks on things like public transport to be a permanent thing "just in case", there's going to be a time not too far away where places all over the world remove their mask mandates, and there are also places which never had the requirement either.

Do these people honestly think that people in the UK are going to see that happening, nothing bad happen as a result, and just keep wanting to be made to wear masks in indoor public places / football stadiums anyway?

Would be happy for this to become a thing, as others have said, for cold and flu sufferers even if it just meant I could stick my mask on and have a seat to myself.

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Would be happy for this to become a thing, as others have said, for cold and flu sufferers even if it just meant I could stick my mask on and have a seat to myself.

Good for you.

However as there would be no logical reason to restrict it solely to public transport, and I have no desire to need to wear a mask all day at work until the end of time "just in case", you'll forgive me for wanting them punted as far away as soon as possible.

Edited by Todd_is_God

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It will be hard to prove you are not anti vax after these comments.

Enjoy the rest of your forum experience.

I've already had my 1st, 3 weeks after my next one and I'll be haranguing Nicola to allow the vaccinated mob into pubs etc. 

Edited by ayrmad

People are at liberty to wear a mask if they so wish once this is all over. 

Mine will be thrown in the bin as soon as it's no longer mandatory. I don't see a need for mandating their ongoing usage outside of a pandemic. The cold and flu aren't the same as covid.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'd also like to think that unwell people will be much more likely to stay at home once this has blown over. 

Edited by Michael W

I disagree.
If they had peacefully dispersed the smattering people right as they started to gather, they'd have also cut down on the majority of other folk coming in at the back of them.
Instead it became a situation where person A ends up outside Ibrox, phones person B, C, D and E and tells them the Police aren't doing anything to usher folk away so just get a carry oot and come on down. Many others see this on twitter, telly, radio etc and decide to join in. A swift nipping in the bud would almost certainly have prevented it getting to the levels it did.
Absolutely agree with this. A clear message was sent - do what you like, we're either too lazy or too scared to do the job the taxpayers pay us to do.