Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, G51 said:

These mRNA vaccines look to be the business. The others are great too, but for brand new technology, this is incredible.

I was reading the other day that they were originally developing the mRNA vaccines to try and vaccinate against certain types of cancer before COVID hit and they changed focus on to that. Can you imagine if the lads came up with something like that.

mRNA technology is bound to have benefitted immensely from the covid pandemic. You have to imagine what's been learned due to this will have advanced it considerably. Sort of like technology during war type thing. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

mRNA technology is bound to have benefitted immensely from the covid pandemic. You have to imagine what's been learned due to this will have advanced it considerably. Sort of like technology during war type thing. 

Aye, except hopefully we don't weaponise it this time.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Great to see such a dramatic reduction still think that ICU has to reduce a long way further but if they could keep up 8 discharges a day that would be great.

I mean, even if they keep up to half of that then we’ll have no Covid in ICUs across the entire country by next weekend. It’s fucking sensational.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

I mean, even if they keep up to half of that then we’ll have no Covid in ICUs across the entire country by next weekend. It’s fucking sensational.

Aye it's great! Wonder when/if they go back to normal capacity of 100 across Scotland, it seems very low to me.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's more likely to be because they have greater immunity from higher infection levels earlier in the pandemic.

I was thinking about this myself, could it be that the lockdown is becoming counter productive? The longer we are locked down the longer it will take to gain a larger amount of immunity, I’m most definitely not advocating a free for all to achieve herd immunity if anyone thinks I am but isn’t there a case for relaxing the restrictions now that most of the vulnerable groups are now vaccinated so that our rates might actually go down quicker than if we are locked down?

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Great to see such a dramatic reduction still think that ICU has to reduce a long way further but if they could keep up 8 discharges a day that would be great.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

The new admissions to ICU per day has been single figures for a couple of weeks now and has dropped to around 4 per day on last report on 5th March.

It's certainly going to be lower than that in next figures, perhaps below 3.

2 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

I was thinking about this myself, could it be that the lockdown is becoming counter productive? The longer we are locked down the longer it will take to gain a larger amount of immunity, I’m most definitely not advocating a free for all to achieve herd immunity if anyone thinks I am but isn’t there a case for relaxing the restrictions now that most of the vulnerable groups are now vaccinated so that our rates might actually go down quicker than if we are locked down?

The model Whitty etc were talking about yesterday has this in it:

Only around 79% of the population are adults, which means population level protection is lower, at 53% (dark green in Figure 2). In addition, protection against infection is likely to be lower than that against disease. As a result, herd immunity is not reached without a large resurgence of transmission.   

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

591 what is that, is that around the same attendance you would see at Forthbank or Ochilview?

It'll be our fucking home crowds if Neil McCann and Scot Gardiner don't get to fuck when we're allowed back.

The hospital numbers more or less halved in around a fortnight. A real sharp decrease in hospital numbers for this wave.

Sturgeon and Leitch will be keeping an eye on the recent uptick in case numbers though. (the case numbers seem to have upticked a little, around the same time as the vaccine process has slowed, so there might be something in that? Vaccine numbers seemingly to go back up again from next week onwards I think, so hopefully cases numbers will reflect that)

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The model Whitty etc were talking about yesterday has this in it:

Only around 79% of the population are adults, which means population level protection is lower, at 53% (dark green in Figure 2). In addition, protection against infection is likely to be lower than that against disease. As a result, herd immunity is not reached without a large resurgence of transmission.   

Absolute scenes when, after a full year of saying schools are safe because children don't really get it, we are told we still can't do things because there aren't enough adults to make up the magical 80%

The hospital numbers more or less halved in around a fortnight. A real sharp decrease in hospital numbers for this wave.
Sturgeon and Leitch will be keeping an eye on the recent uptick in case numbers though. (the case numbers seem to have upticked a little, around the same time as the vaccine process has slowed, so there might be something in that? Vaccine numbers seemingly to go back up again from next week onwards I think, so hopefully cases numbers will reflect that)
The case numbers have stayed fairly steady but the positivity rate has continued to fall so it seems that they're finding more of the cases proactively rather than waiting on people presenting.

That the remaining numbers continue to plummet is only a good thing.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Absolute scenes when, after a full year of saying schools are safe because children don't really get it, we are told we still can't do things because there aren't enough adults to make up the magical 80%

It's the protection against infection is likely to be lower than that against disease that interests me. 

Does that mean it's more likely you'll catch it than it turns into covid? What? I thought if you were infected you had covid? So you can be carrying coronavirus but you don't have covid. Eh? 🤯

Or am I being really stupid? 

12 minutes ago, Steven W said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, they have gone back up after opening schools.

Over the last 7 days, 0-14 year olds are the third highest group for new infections. So much so that 4% of all cases in that age group have occured in that time frame.

If they are going to worry about infection numbers for the levels system then schools, clearly, need to be treated the same as every other indoor space until we have vaccinated our adult population, however much this annoys parents.

Screenshot_20210311-130321_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210311-130333_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The case numbers have stayed fairly steady but the positivity rate has continued to fall so it seems that they're finding more of the cases proactively rather than waiting on people presenting.

That the remaining numbers continue to plummet is only a good thing.

You mean desperately hunting for cases to justify restrictions.

1 corinthians
3:9
For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building
6:19
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

A proper god botherer would know they don't need a building. 

For some but not all I suspect the attendance at the building is to be seen to be there.

Given that every single Christian I've ever met has a) cared more about appearing to be a Christian rather than act like a Christian, and b) cherry-picked which bits of the bible they want to adhere to (and ignoring all the inconvenient bits they don't like), it's of absolutely no surprise whatsoever that these folk are caring more about attending a building rather than showing faith to their God.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, they have gone back up after opening schools.

Over the last 7 days, 0-14 year olds are the third highest group for new infections. 

Screenshot_20210311-130321_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210311-130333_Opera.jpg

You're right - its not a surprise. And it won't be a surprise either when the same thing happens, probably on a grander scale,  in a couple of months when the economy begins to open up. 

Which then takes us back to the question of whether cases actually matter? NS / JL have both been very clear that it does (although I - and I know you - would dispute that), so it can only lead to one of two things - A) A big shift in strategy from NS / JL (which I woudn't rule out - NS frequently mentioning the economy in FMQs today I note) or B) back to restrictions again.