Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

What flaw?

Our care system is propped up by millions of unpaid carers but most have probably had to wait their turn for the vaccine rather than getting a wee jump the queue. 

18 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
What are you comparing Scotland to with regards to other nations? EU vaccine rollout a shambles, messaging on AZ vaccine a disaster, Italy going back into lockdown, virus increasing in France and Germany, Czechia at breaking point etc.

Our international travel will resume at the same rate as the rest of the UK. I'm fairly sure pressure from BA, easyJet, Ryanair, Heathrow, Manchester etc will ensure that the UK Govt don't drag their heels.

Spot on, just another scare story.

I don't mind a story like this to keep the SG on their toes, we all want travel back asap, but the usual suspects on here then take it to the nth degree of heads gone pant wetting.

Edited by Burnieman

Just now, Burnieman said:

Except it is true.  There is no International travel roadmap in England either, there might be by the middle of next month, there might not be. 

International travel is already taking place in England right now, with the majority needing no mandatory quarantine. The SG cannot even give an indication when the same will apply in Scotland. That is a greater source of uncertainty whether you like it or not. 

There's great uncertainty over what countries you'd be able to travel to this summer in any case.

No shit Sherlock, but international airline companies will gravitate operations to the areas of lesser uncertainty, rather than making costly commitments in time, money and opportunity costs to Scottish airports that some clown dentist decides will not receive passengers under any reasonable system.

Airlines will cancel routes they're not certain will be viable when international travel resumes, they will likely revisit it when they get their operations back on their feet and their core routes operating near normality.  That will be no different with English airports.  BA predicted 2024 before they are back to full operating capacity, their HQ is Heathrow and they have cancelled routes.

You seem to be conflating short-medium term losses of routes with permanent losses. It does not matter much to Glasgow Airport that Heathrow won't be back to 100% operation as well, when they're running at 5 or 10%. 

12 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What are you comparing Scotland to with regards to other nations? EU vaccine rollout a shambles, messaging on AZ vaccine a disaster, Italy going back into lockdown, virus increasing in France and Germany, Czechia at breaking point etc.

Our international travel will resume at the same rate as the rest of the UK. I'm fairly sure pressure from BA, easyJet, Ryanair, Heathrow, Manchester etc will ensure that the UK Govt don't drag their heels.

We are the only nation in Europe firing people into hotels. Well, that's if they don't just fly in from England or Ireland. Then there's the complete lack of support for the sector. Down south, they are all making preparations. Up here, there is nothing of the sort. Now, I agree that a lot of this is likely posturing in terms of when Scotland opens up compared to England, but I don't want our options being limited or forced to travel south of the border for certain flights. That just feeds into the whole 'too wee, too poor' nonsense. Tourism alone is 5% of Scottish GDP, let alone aviation and related supply chains. Without this being able to boom again in future, the economic argument for independence won't be won. Lessons should be learned from last time.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Will other independence supporters be fine with Scotland losing connectivity to Europe, the wider world, and all the economic prospects that go with it? Or will they start holding the Scottish Government to account for the utter shambles they are presiding over in comparison to other nations?

I can remember back in the late eighties flights leaving from Glasgow to France full  with flights from Manchester and Gatwick half empty , Falcon Holidays decided to consolidate the flights and you've guessed it they dropped the Glasgow flight. 

We are the only nation in Europe firing people into hotels. Well, that's if they don't just fly in from England or Ireland. Then there's the complete lack of support for the sector. Down south, they are all making preparations. Up here, there is nothing of the sort. Now, I agree that a lot of this is likely posturing in terms of when Scotland opens up compared to England, but I don't want our options being limited or forced to travel south of the border for certain flights. That just feeds into the whole 'too wee, too poor' nonsense. Tourism alone is 5% of Scottish GDP, let alone aviation and related supply chains. Without this being able to boom again in future, the economic argument for independence won't be won. Lessons should be learned from last time.
Aye but.... something something New Zealand

15 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Our care system is propped up by millions of unpaid carers but most have probably had to wait their turn for the vaccine rather than getting a wee jump the queue. 

I would certainly rather have waited my turn than jumped the queue because my wife’s got incurable cancer. Fanny. 

You seem to be conflating short-medium term losses of routes with permanent losses. It does not matter much to Glasgow Airport that Heathrow won't be back to 100% operation as well, when they're running at 5 or 10%. 
Is there a subject you're not a SME on?

Airlines will not operate all routes when the green light is given, that is the same for any country, any airport and any airline. It could take years for pre-Covid routes to be restored, that's the mood music from the airline industry.

However if there is a demand and a profit to be made, the route will be back. It may take a while, but anyone looking at it with a dash of pragmatism will realise that.

You may carry on losing your head over a few sound bites from an airport CEO whose bread and butter holiday routes will be amongst the first to be up and running.

There is currently no tourism, so the hotel quarantine issue is largely immaterial, unless you seriously think they'll retain it for flights from Malaga or Tenerife when travel/tourism resumes.

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I would certainly rather have waited my turn than jumped the queue because my wife’s got incurable cancer. Fanny. 

And there will be plenty that would have preferred to be higher up the queue to reduce the risk of transmission. Fanny. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

And there will be plenty that would have preferred to be higher up the queue to reduce the risk of transmission. Fanny. 

Good for them. I haven’t jumped any queue. Everyone in our family has been vaccinated according to the JCVI list. You’ve always come across as an utter superior c**t on here, but this takes the biscuit. f**k you. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Good for them. I haven’t jumped any queue. Everyone in our family has been vaccinated according to the JCVI list. You’ve always come across as an utter superior c**t on here, but this takes the biscuit. f**k you. 

Who cares what you and yours have done, there are plenty of others that could have and should have climbed the list. 

52 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Except it is true.  There is no International travel roadmap in England either, there might be by the middle of next month, there might not be.

The UK Gov has given an indicative date of 17th May to review intermational travel.

In light of this, you can currently book an EasyJet flight from Manchester to Palma a few days later.

Guess where EasyJet have no scheduled flights from? That's right, Scotland.

It's absolute head in the sand stuff to expect airlines not to react to the SG's dithering by shelving routes from Scottish airports, however temporary, which will have wider reaching consequences than "they might be back in a year or two"

Edited by Todd_is_God