Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a benchmark, the high water.

Your sort wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

I've built a house, Sarge.  I'd be chucked in the trenches with the RPG.

42 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

Has anyone had the AZ vaccine lately? Does anyone think we’ll cancel it over here? I’m due to get it today but feeling a bit nervous. 

Wife had her first dose, finally, yesterday.  Bit of a dead arm but nothing else.

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

Has anyone had the AZ vaccine lately? Does anyone think we’ll cancel it over here? I’m due to get it today but feeling a bit nervous. 

It was the AZ one I had on Saturday. I've had pretty much no side-effects apart from a bit of a sore arm and feeling tired yesterday.

27 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Have you dug trenches though? I'm not counting drains or foundations in this.

On some jobs it felt like I was digging fucking trenches!

Dad (age 75) had the AZ one at the end of February. No issues.

Word of warning about anecdotal linkages. At uni one lecturer told me that he could make a graph - which he did - showing the rise of HIV in the UK and the rise of colour TV ownership. For about 10 years these graphs went in the same direction. Now clearly there is no linkage between the two things, so beware looking at graphs and saying that X must lead to Y because there is a similar trend. 

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yes, it's *definitely* me that's come across as an absolute weapon here.

Well it wasn't me, you don't get a free hit because you misread more than one post.

I realise it makes me sound like a triumphanist Brexiteer but the approach of the EU and national governments within the EU to the vaccination programme has been absolutely shocking.  They are well behind where they could and should be and seem to be dealing with this by demonising one of the best vaccines against this disease.  Truly remarkable.

If this was being done by Trump or Bolsarano or a government like that you can only imagine the reams of spicy hot takes on social media and in the press about the stupidity of populism etc.  Sadly, it's the countries fetishised as grown up and normal that are doing it.  What a farce.

I had it at the end of February, and I also had a CVA (stroke) eighteen months ago. I'm not over concerned.

Dont cancel it mate. 
In saying that, what is it you're worried about? Quite a few users on here had it. I got Pfizer but would happily have injected the AZ one into my eye if that's what was offered. 
Thanks for the reminder, Wullie - I've got my lovely, straight into the eyeball, RVO injection on Friday. There are more pleasant ways to pass the time.[emoji30]

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I realise it makes me sound like a triumphanist Brexiteer but the approach of the EU and national governments within the EU to the vaccination programme has been absolutely shocking.  They are well behind where they could and should be and seem to be dealing with this by demonising one of the best vaccines against this disease.  Truly remarkable.

If this was being done by Trump or Bolsarano or a government like that you can only imagine the reams of spicy hot takes on social media and in the press about the stupidity of populism etc.  Sadly, it's the countries fetishised as grown up and normal that are doing it.  What a farce.

yep 100%, they've made a rip roaring c**t of it yet they have escaped the scathing criticism that would be rightly directed at a populist government. I think it's because no one in the media - traditional & social- wants to be labelled as a tory triumphalist brexiteer, unless of course they already are one

I agree with the radio presenter who described this as the "footballification" of politics and subsequently everything that's derived from it, obviously there have always been people who support the same party every time no matter what, but there didn't seem to be this blind support for everything and all things a party, or entity does including refusal to acknowledge flaws. Remember old stories of some old firm fans refusing to by ANY clothing made by the "other" sides' kit manufacturer ? this is where some of us are at now with politics

yep 100%, they've made a rip roaring c**t of it yet they have escaped the scathing criticism that would be rightly directed at a populist government. I think it's because no one in the media - traditional & social- wants to be labelled as a tory triumphalist brexiteer, unless of course they already are one
I agree with the radio presenter who described this as the "footballification" of politics and subsequently everything that's derived from it, obviously there have always been people who support the same party every time no matter what, but there didn't seem to be this blind support for everything and all things a party, or entity does including refusal to acknowledge flaws. Remember old stories of some old firm fans refusing to by ANY clothing made by the "other" sides' kit manufacturer ? this is where some of us are at now with politics
Quite agree with the "my team, right or wrong" attitude towards politics both on here and in real life. O'Brien nailed it with the football analogy, imho. It's childish, and leads people to entrenched positions from which movement is difficult if not impossible, no matter how much evidence is presented.
Just look at the folk still presenting Brexit as a good thing. Folk who aren't insulated from its effects, I mean.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Quite agree with the "my team, right or wrong" attitude towards politics both on here and in real life. O'Brien nailed it with the football analogy, imho. It's childish, and leads people to entrenched positions from which movement is difficult if not impossible, no matter how much evidence is presented.
Just look at the folk still presenting Brexit as a good thing. Folk who aren't insulated from its effects, I mean.

Is this the James O'Brien who less than a month ago had a meltdown at a Corbyn supporter who phoned in expressing their doubts about Starmer? :lol:

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The worst is that I don't think the likes of Macron and Von der Leyen realise the damage that they have done here. You can't blame them for being upset at the delays which are AZ's responsibility, but to then deflect the blame by trashing the vaccine was never going to end well. They have caused a huge problem from which they may never recover. 

I don't have much time for politicians as most of them are opportunists and will say anything, but this isn't about whether their idea works over their opponent's - it's a question of scientific fact. People are entitled to take this at face value in the absence of the usual spin. As a result, these words have been highly damaging - to bring people back round they essentially have to say that they were wrong, which they won't do. It's also harder to persuade people of something when you change your own view and have already told them something else. 

It should have been abundantly clear from the likes of Trump that words matter, but they seem to have overlooked this and thought it wouldn't happen to them. It's arrogance. 

Edited by Michael W