Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The inability of a large section of the UK public to grasp that if you tell one of the most densely populated countries on the planet to meet outside and not indoors then the outdoor spaces of its cities/environs will become quite busy says a lot about the overall level of critical thinking skills in this country.

Edited by vikingTON

19 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

The outdoor events will be back soon enough, TRNSMT may well have been able to go ahead on the original date, the organisers have quite rightly taken the % call as they'd need plenty of time to prepare with a chance of losing all their investment involved in that preparation. 

"Soon enough" is conjecture.

Taking into consideration everything we know and have learned about the virus over the last 12 months there is zero scientific reason for East Fife v Clyde being behind closed doors tomorrow, for example.

Clyde fans would be unable to travel due to the current legislation in place, but that is no reason why East Fife can't sell 400 tickets.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Is there actually much risk of mass gatherings at outdoor festivals during the height of summer, when infection rates then are totally negligible anyway? I'm not convinced there is.
Main stages probably not, but you've also got the dance tents and other venues that might pose some issues. Also have to think about people camping/sharing tents

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Soon enough" is conjecture.

Taking into consideration everything we know and have learned about the virus over the last 12 months there is zero scientific reason for East Fife v Clyde being behind closed doors tomorrow, for example.

Clyde fans would be unable to travel due to the current legislation in place, but that is no reason why East Fife can't sell 400 tickets.

Of course it's conjecture, I'm only a bawbag posting on a football forum. 

As for the rest, there's a lot more that would need to open before fans at football matches, I for one am not that desperate to have the option of attending Ayr games anytime soon. 

I agree with you when it comes to mass gatherings, and like you say TRNSMT has been moved back to September to acknowledge the likely time period when these types of events can resume. However, there is a middle ground between something like TRNSMT and no outdoor events at all.
A regular meeting at Hamilton Park, or a football match with a few thousand fans etc are incredibly low risk, yet are banned because of the point blank refusal to explore the possibility that being outdoors in not massive numbers is actually safe.
Just because we can't have mass festivals just yet, doesn't mean there should be no outdoor events at all.
Absolutely agree those are safe

Here’s the data for today gents:

542 new cases of COVID-19 reported

28,144 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.1% of these were positive

6 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive 

21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

237 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

A decrease of 2 in intensive care and a decrease of 13 in hospital 🍺

1 minute ago, ClathyDave said:

28,144 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.1% of these were positive

There's a good chance we could have next to no one in hospital by the 26th April, yet you still won't be allowed a drink inside a pub/restaurant, and can't even get a 'legal' game of 5s. Wild. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer fascist jackass. Honestly surprised he's lasted a whole year without this happening. The individual state governors are now ordering vaccines and lockdowns because Bolsonaro won't.

7 minutes ago, ClathyDave said:

Looks as though we’re not going to get hospital stats Friday - Monday inclusive due to Easter, so I’d imagine it’ll be smoke central on Tuesday once we see the accumulated drop in hospital numbers over that period.

There's a good chance we could have next to no one in hospital by the 26th April, yet you still won't be allowed a drink inside a pub/restaurant, and can't even get a 'legal' game of 5s. Wild. 
Failure to speed this up is/will be an absolute fucking disgrace.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Failure to speed this up is/will be an absolute fucking disgrace.

They will have to either seek 4 party consensus or not move beyond what they have promised otherwise it would effectively be electioneering imo.

Just now, 101 said:

They will have to either seek 4 party consensus or not move beyond what they have promised otherwise it would effectively be electioneering imo.

True, although Douglas Ross was pushing for opening things back up quicker the other day. I'm not sure any party would like to be seen to be holding back our freedoms for no valid reason so hopefully they will sensibly open up quicker. 

If they do speed up the easing of restrictions it will not be that much quicker anyway. They might bring the date forward from 26th April to the 19th or something but I doubt it will be any sooner. Which is starting to look excessive.

5th of April when the stay at home order is lifted would be a suitable date for reopening gyms, pubs, allowing people to meet outside of pointless bubbles which few people will have followed anyway.

If we were to open things earlier when would be likely to hear? I'd have thought we would have heard by now if there was any intention to deviate from the "roadmap".

Barbers and some retailers are obviously due to open next week but that doesn't seem like enough notice to give the likes of pubs and restaurants as they'd have to stock up etc.

42 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Of course it's conjecture, I'm only a bawbag posting on a football forum. 

As for the rest, there's a lot more that would need to open before fans at football matches, I for one am not that desperate to have the option of attending Ayr games anytime soon. 

Why?

If fans at football matches is safe, why do they need to wait for other things to open?

There is absolutely no logic or reasoning in saying (for example) "you can't go to the cinema, so you can't go to the football"

Whether or not you are desperate for something is also, frankly, irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

If we were to open things earlier when would be likely to hear? I'd have thought we would have heard by now if there was any intention to deviate from the "roadmap".

Barbers and some retailers are obviously due to open next week but that doesn't seem like enough notice to give the likes of pubs and restaurants as they'd have to stock up etc.

Doubt it would be an issue. Pubs and restaurants don't need to open on the first day they're allowed to although they'd obviously want to. If they ended up a couple of days behind because of short notice I'm sure that would still be far better than having to wait another 2 or 3 weeks to open.