Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Although at least back in the day, "working class tories" genuinely did have f**k all, and the party could convince them that was because of immigrants/commies/corrupt unions etc.

Nowadays, it's far pettier and weirder. These "working class tories" are far more likely to be homeowners who don't live in the big cities. They don't even mind getting shafted themselves as long as they know somebody else is getting shafted harder. If they have blue hair and are working a bar job in their third language (the metropolitan elite who are out of touch with the common man!!!) then even better.

That's why I find it laughable to suggest that left wing parties have sold out the working class, when in fact many of the "working class" are now firmly lower middle class in terms of homeownership and wages, and will happily vote Tory if it protects the value of their poorly-constructed new build and its astroturfed garden out the back.

That just reeks of anti aspiration. Surely we want people to be connected and trying to better themselves. I’m not sure about the commies/immigrant stuff, but corrupt unions have certainly done no end of damage in the UK.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

You'll need a vaccine passport to go to the FA Cup final, but feel free to pile onto all the crowded tube trains up to Wembley without one on the same day

It's a mockery of a set up. An absolute farce. 

The average age of covid deaths is 84 ffs. They're acting like the demographic of festivals/gigs etc could drop down dead due to being within a half mile radius of someone with a cough. Those must vulnerable will be double dosed by late June anyway so who the hell cares if someone gets a wee cough for a day or two? Theres no justification for vaccine passports domestically 

33 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Although at least back in the day, "working class tories" genuinely did have f**k all, and the party could convince them that was because of immigrants/commies/corrupt unions etc.

Nowadays, it's far pettier and weirder. These "working class tories" are far more likely to be homeowners who don't live in the big cities. They don't even mind getting shafted themselves as long as they know somebody else is getting shafted harder. If they have blue hair and are working a bar job in their third language (the metropolitan elite who are out of touch with the common man!!!) then even better.

That's why I find it laughable to suggest that left wing parties have sold out the working class, when in fact many of the "working class" are now firmly lower middle class in terms of homeownership and wages, and will happily vote Tory if it protects the value of their poorly-constructed new build and its astroturfed garden out the back.

The best move the Tories have made is convincing the people you describe above that someone making 30k a year has more in common with a billionaire than they do with someone on universal credit.

4 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

That just reeks of anti aspiration. Surely we want people to be connected and trying to better themselves. I’m not sure about the commies/immigrant stuff, but corrupt unions have certainly done no end of damage in the UK.

I don't think I can emphasise just how dull, insular and un-aspirational a person's life/political outlook must be if their only concern is protecting the inflated, artificial value of their very cheaply-constructed house in suburbia that has a driveway and the aforementioned 3G pitch that constitutes a back garden.

No idea what your point about people being connected is meaning, because we are less connected than ever before. People don't speak to their neighbours in the same way they used to and sometimes indeed viscerally loathe them - and would happily grass them to the police in record time (something we've seen plenty of during these lockdowns btw).

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's a mockery of a set up. An absolute farce. 

The average age of covid deaths is 84 ffs. They're acting like the demographic of festivals/gigs etc could drop down dead due to being within a half mile radius of someone with a cough. Those must vulnerable will be double dosed by late June anyway so who the hell cares if someone gets a wee cough for a day or two? Theres no justification for vaccine passports domestically 

But that's consistent with the Government messaging throughout.

"Anyone can get it" and the rather odd SG adverts a month or so ago with absolute lard buckets being wheeled out to show that it can affect young people too.

I don't know whether this is the brainchild of a massively risk averse government, or a way of trying to take the focus off the fact they have spent a year terrifying people by massively overstating the relevant risk, hoping that by the time a year has gone by the vaccines will have reduced covid-19 to a minor illness at worst, and people won't realise.

7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I don't think I can emphasise just how dull, insular and un-aspirational a person's life/political outlook must be if their only concern is protecting the inflated, artificial value of their very cheaply-constructed house in suburbia that has a driveway and the aforementioned 3G pitch that constitutes a back garden.

No idea what your point about people being connected is meaning, because we are less connected than ever before. People don't speak to their neighbours in the same way they used to and sometimes indeed viscerally loathe them - and would happily grass them to the police in record time (something we've seen plenty of during these lockdowns btw).

That’s just people’s perception of being successful. I agree that having a poorly built, mock Tudor house in Cumbernauld doesn’t mean that one has “arrived”. I totally get where you are coming from, but we are living in a World of the aforementioned poorly constructed houses,  along with BMW’s on pcp’s and yappy little fucking dogs.

I’m not quite sure who’s to blame for it though.

If we wait until 2050, I could be both
Good idea and everyone should have ankle tags to make sure they're following the regime sorry rules. I'm sure the tories know someone they could give that contract to.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But that's consistent with the Government messaging throughout.

"Anyone can get it" and the rather odd SG adverts a month or so ago with absolute lard buckets being wheeled out to show that it can affect young people too.

I don't know whether this is the brainchild of a massively risk averse government, or a way of trying to take the focus off the fact they have spent a year terrifying people by massively overstating the relevant risk, hoping that by the time a year has gone by the vaccines will have reduced covid-19 to a minor illness at worst, and people won't realise.

Personal highlight was Scot Gov and some news outlets parading obsese 40 somethings getting oxygen as the prime example of "anyone can get it" and need hospital treatment.

Even now, it shouldn't be a case of needing to spend hours and hours thinking about messaging - just emphasise the Israel stats as an example of what mass vaccination does (rather than deliberately vague nonsense about Chile's rates) and encourage people to get the jag when called.

Anything else is just talking for the sake of talking.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-holidays-boris-johnson-travel-b1826155.html

So do we think we'll largely follow the same roadmap for International travel as England or create a mess with differing rules?  We all know NS likes to harp on about regretting allowing travel last year and how she won't make the same mistake again, but what does that mean exactly? it's a big gamble playing hard ball with peoples summer holidays with an election coming up.

First, if the Scottish Government even try to dick about again, I hope the airports and aviation industry have them in court at the drop of a hat.

Second, however, the testing requirement even if vaccinated still completely boils my piss. It is purely to get more money out of people, and after all, the Government have certainly spunked away enough on this white elephant, which is why they continue to drag it out. Surely say, this time next year/going into next summer, this utterly tedious, pointless testing requirement will be history.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Quite a few fatties in those pics. 

I am glad they are out and should be made to walk up and down to shift some weight as we know now overweight people are at more risk

The disgusting fatties are still risking things for all of us:

43 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

but corrupt unions have certainly done no end of damage in the UK.

Curse those trade unions, dishing out lucrative PPE contracts to their trade union cronies, wasting billions on incompetent trade union test and trace systems, giving their trade union mistresses hundreds of thousands of pounds in public money, I mean could go on.

32 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Personal highlight was Scot Gov and some news outlets parading obsese 40 somethings getting oxygen as the prime example of "anyone can get it" and need hospital treatment.

Or the otherwise healthy young guy who felt tired for a couple of days being brought out as a warning.

I saw numerous comments in reply to that one absolutely ridiculing it and, now that I think about it, I haven't seen any of those adverts since.

28 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

To be quite honest, if the torries are in charge of giving out tenders for implementing this vaccine passport, then I’m not worried about it in the slightest, why worry about something that will be so late and so half arsed that itl have no effect on us at all

Possibly because the law requiring one to enter premises will be in place well beforehand which effectively is another form of lockdown.

34 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

To be quite honest, if the torries are in charge of giving out tenders for implementing this vaccine passport, then I’m not worried about it in the slightest, why worry about something that will be so late and so half arsed that itl have no effect on us at all

More millions billions for Serco to fcuk it up.

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I think you think you've hit upon some sort of 'gotcha' content that the government have overlooked.

It does not relate to clinically tested and approved vaccinations. You could also gain access via a recent negative test, proof of antibodies from previous infection.

I'm not pro domestic vaccine passport but your claims are utter nonsense.

Wondering if @Thereisalight.. now realises why this is the equivalent of 'Magna Carta' quoting morons? 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

2 free LFT tests per week for anyone that wants them in England..... Shovelling more public money into the hands of their pals one assumes

That's their favourite pastime, always has been always will be.