Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Given how much our 'experts' have gotten hopelessly wrong, it's surely fair to start asking what benefit, if any, they have brought to the pandemic response.

If we had no expert input at all, would we have been much worse off?

A pretty damning indictment of their entire profession and purpose.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Edinburgh. Seems to be a pretty big mobilisation here at the moment, I know plenty in their late 20s/early 30s with appointments over the next few weeks.

That's an oof then, hopefully not much longer. While not feeling at all at risk, like for others on here it will make travel so much easier. Got to do your bit for the #herd as well.

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

WHO confirming today that vaccines are cigaring all known variants, so any independent SAGE clown claiming that 'we just don't know!!!!111!!!' should be subject to disciplinary action in their jobs and shut out by the media for peddling fake news.

There is no valid reason to delay lifting restrictions because of shan variants then: the vulnerable are as protected now as they will ever be. 

Their Europe director is slavering nonsense about travel, however:

Posted at 12:35

Avoid resuming international travel, says WHO Europe director

image.gif.480ac62da1fcf56c31452742f46848f4.gif
Copyright: Getty Images
Pockets of rising transmission could spread and become "dangerous resurgences", Hans Kluge saidImage caption: Pockets of rising transmission could spread and become "dangerous resurgences", Hans Kluge said

Countries should "rethink or avoid" international travel because of uncertainty over new variants, the World Health Organization's regional director for Europe says.

As the UK government faces criticism and confusion over its traffic light system for international travel, Hans Kluge says increased mobility in Europe could jeopardise the current fall in cases and small outbreaks could lead to "dangerous resurgences".

"Most of us are still susceptible to the virus and not vaccinated yet. Right now, in the face of a continued threat and new uncertainty, we need to continue to exercise caution, and rethink or avoid international travel," he tells a news conference.

"Vaccines may be a light at the end of the tunnel - but we cannot be blinded by that light."

He says the variant first identified in India is able to spread rapidly and could displace the Kent variant that is currently dominant in Europe.

But he says all variants that have emerged so far can be controlled with public health measures and all respond to approved vaccines.

Yeah... that's being ignored right across the continent, champ. heh.png

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Surely though once everyone in the workplace has been vaccinated there’s no need to worry about one or two who’ve refused the vaccine? The vaccinated would be safe  and the unvaccinated would need to live with the chance of getting it

Does the phrase "Medical in Confidence" mean anything to you? 

Not being facetious, but in this oversharing society, we have to remember that we still have some rights to a private life. Priests, lawyers, doctors - all bound to keep your secrets unless (in some cases) to do so would cause harm to others. 

How is that working now ? I was reading few months back maybe more about how many Aussies had been stuck abroad and couldnt get back. Some of them had been due to leave the country they were in to move back and ended up 6 months later maybe more  still not able to get back

The Australian government are doing repatriation flights and have actually increased the flight numbers tbf, due to expanding their Howard Springs quarantine facility. The last flight is 24 May. They’ve come out and said there won’t necessarily be more, so she’s had to take it.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Does the phrase "Medical in Confidence" mean anything to you? 

Not being facetious, but in this oversharing society, we have to remember that we still have some rights to a private life. Priests, lawyers, doctors - all bound to keep your secrets unless (in some cases) to do so would cause harm to others. 

I agree. I think it should be a persons choice what they chose to do. I certainly don’t care if the people I work with have had or not had the vaccine.

It wouldn’t surprise  me though with the way things are going that you’ll get some employers demanding to know vaccine status 

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Given how much our 'experts' have gotten hopelessly wrong, it's surely fair to start asking what benefit, if any, they have brought to the pandemic response.

If we had no expert input at all, would we have been much worse off?

A pretty damning indictment of their entire profession and purpose.

Absolutely - I remember there was one telling us this whole thing was over as a Public Health crisis nine months (and many, many thousands of deaths) ago. 

3 hours ago, supermik said:

Brother in law was told he needed triple bypass surgery just before the pandemic started. Operation kept being cancelled. He died on Monday. 😢

That's truly awful mate. Sorry to hear that 

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

I see the Lorne Hotel on Sauchiehall Street has gone into administration with the loss of 30 jobs.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19314568.renowned-glasgow-hotel-collapses-administration/

Never stayed there myself, but passed it a lot on the way to and from the west end into the city center on my weekends in Glasgow a few years ago.

Surely more to the point it should have been the Square Sausage Hotel 😉

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-gigs-and-shows-no-more-dangerous-than-going-shopping-trials-reportedly-suggest-12310556

COVID-19: Gigs and shows no more dangerous than going shopping, trials reportedly suggest

Matches at Wembley, a nightclub in Liverpool and the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield were among the test events.

Chris Robertson, news reporter
Chris Robertson

Entertainment reporter @_ChrisRobertson

Wednesday 19 May 2021 10:35, UK

People enjoy their time at a nightclub, as part of a national research programme assessing the risk of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) transmission, in Liverpool, Britain April 30, 2021. REUTERS/Carl Recine
Image:Trial events were held in Liverpool and London
  •  

•  

•  

•  

Events without masks and social distancing are as safe as going to a shopping centre or eating in a restaurant, early reports appear to suggest.

Preliminary data, as seen by The Times, suggests that COVID-19 transmission can be significantly reduced at big events by the introduction of screening and improved ventilation, allaying fears that gigs, concerts and sports matches could cause serious coronavirus outbreaks.

It comes amid confusion and tension over the easing of the final lockdown restrictions in June, which are now being questioned following the appearance of yet another variant.

skynews-liverpool-club-night_5362048.jpg

Play Video - UK clubbers take part in COVID trial event

UK clubbers take part in COVID trial event

According to the paper, the results of the trials will be sent to ministers over the next few days, as they work out what to do in the next steps in the fight against COVID-19, with the pilot events being a key detail involved in the decisions.

A decision about fully reopening the economy is due to be made next month, but there are fears the date could be pushed back in light of the new variant.

Advertisement

A government source told The Times that the data was "encouraging", adding: "It will help make the case that these large events are not inherently more risky than other parts of the hospitality sector.

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, Alex_14 said:

My partner is going back to Australia this week. Obviously has to quarantine. As part of that they attach a ‘health band’ to her, essentially an ankle tag and tract all of her health stats. It’s very Big Brother.

Not the case. Ankle tags were mentioned in the media last year but that’s all.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/covid-19/covid-19/trying-get-home/covid-19-re-entry-and-quarantine-measures

Jason Leitch is going to be in tears this week as VaRiAnTs!!!! get their pants pulled down again by the vaccines and large scale events are shown to be of minimal risk.

Im sure given his philosophy of data not dates, he will be promptly climbing down from his cross over outdoor events such as.... football matches.

• 432 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 28,589 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 1.6% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 5 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 83 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 3,063,648 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,742,072 have received their second dose

Are the cigars in Danger of going out?

massive number of tests , including targeted surge testing in areas of high prevalence - no big increase in %  positivity  

Hospital numbers up, not by a huge amount but still, be interesting to see the age and vaccine status.. , 

nae deaths

I say crack on, what will the shitebags in goverment say ? - we just don't know

• 3,063,648 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,742,072 have received their second dose
massive number of tests , including targeted surge testing in areas of high prevalence - no big increase in %  positivity  
Hospital numbers up, not by a huge amount but still, be interesting to see the age and vaccine status.. , 
nae deaths
The latest news from down south seems to be suggesting lots of household mixing actually drove the caseloads in the likes of Bolton, and there isnt much difference with the variant.

Get out of our lives.

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

nae deaths

More tests will always throw up more cases, however given that one more person is in ICU and a handful more are in hospital over the course of the last week, I don't think we should be stubbing out the Cohiba's quite yet. Positivity is remaining fairly steady and hospital numbers when you consider these are across the whole of Scotland, are absolutely fine, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Are there not thousands of hospital beds in Scotland?

I've seen various figures of between 13000 and 20000 but yes, thousands.  ICU beds was around 170 prior to the pandemic but that has been increased to near 600 or so