Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Im honestly not convinced more poeple support restrictions than oppose them.

It only seems to be in yougov type surveys you see this. Social media seems to be full of folk saying get shit opened up.

But more importantly, I can think of a more obvious case for a "silent majority" type scenario when any dissent against restrictions seems to see one painted as a covid denier. A vote on this would see restrictions fully binned IMO.

20 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Normality is coming tho, even if it is delayed significantly it will be no later than next spring even in the most extreme circumstances, because there is just no way that governments can keep burning money whilst enforcing mandatory closure of the economy

They can though. 

A large proportion of the economy doesn't actually create any economic value so there is no difference between someone being paid to work their non productive job and being paid to sit in the house. There is actually a positive impact as the resources which are burned through to run a pub, nail bar or tanning studio aren't used up. 

Given the planet can't actually sustain the level of economic activity we have at present it's likely that governments in future are going to use universal basic income as a kind of permanent furlough scheme.

Edited by Detournement

A long thread which confirms that vaccines actually work, and explains that the majority of the handful of vaccinated patients who are in hospital suffer from prexisting pronounced co-morbities.

In other news, forgive me P&B for I have sinned. Last night my wife and I travelled outwith Glasgow to go for a meal with friends. And it was fucking great.

A long thread which confirms that vaccines actually work, and explains that the majority of the handful of vaccinated patients who are in hospital suffer from prexisting pronounced co-morbities.

In other news, forgive me P&B for I have sinned. Last night my wife and I travelled outwith Glasgow to go for a meal with friends. And it was fucking great.
^^^
Sub human scum IMO.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

HEARTLESS, SELFISH GRANNY KILLER!

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It only seems to be in yougov type surveys you see this. Social media seems to be full of folk saying get shit opened up.

But more importantly, I can think of a more obvious case for a "silent majority" type scenario when any dissent against restrictions seems to see one painted as a covid denier. A vote on this would see restrictions fully binned IMO.

A billion pound company whose business is assessing what people think v your FB feed and you are going with the latter? 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

A billion pound company whose business is assessing what people think v your FB feed and you are going with the latter? 

Is their business assessing what people think or influencing what people think. 

Yougov did the dodgy 50/50 poll in 2014, the 33/33 poll in 2015 GE and had Corbyn down at ridiculously low levels prior to the 2017 GE. They undoubtedly have a history of producing polls which suit the Tory agenda. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It's not scientific, but if you look on twitter, you'll find that a lot of English people are anti-restrictions loosening. I think that's down to dislike of the tories and their self-serving performance throughout, rather than actually considering the implications. Dunno if there's been Scotland only polls? 

Tbf, I bet I dont know a single person that does yougov surveys and I bet most folk would say the same. I dint know who these people are, and I dont have facebook either. I just havent met a single person that still believes in these measures.

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

It's not scientific, but if you look on twitter, you'll find that a lot of English people are anti-restrictions loosening. I think that's down to dislike of the tories and their self-serving performance throughout, rather than actually considering the implications. Dunno if there's been Scotland only polls? 

A lot of it is certainly from the #FBPE crowd, who are now nearing year 5 of their ongoing head's gone. But to be fair if we accept opinion polls as valid, it isn't just them. 

It is depressing as f**k to see the level of support for ongoing restrictions amongst the double vaccinated cohorts. They are generally speaking the people that the restrictions affect the least so it's not surprising to see self-interest in there, but they've been given an effective vaccine and are protected. I really don't know what you do about that to be quite honest. 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A lot of it is certainly from the #FBPE crowd, who are now nearing year 5 of their ongoing head's gone. But to be fair if we accept opinion polls as valid, it isn't just them. 

It is depressing as f**k to see the level of support for ongoing restrictions amongst the double vaccinated cohorts. They are generally speaking the people that the restrictions affect the least so it's not surprising to see self-interest in there, but they've been given an effective vaccine and are protected. I really don't know what you do about that to be quite honest. 

I had to finish that last post in a hurry. 

Also meant to add that there genuine anger down south regarding how late the second lockdown was and the culpability of WM for the tens of thousands of deaths that resulted from the delay. Rightly of wrongly, that anger doesn't seem to exist as strongly up here. I think that colours English perceptions of restrictions and whether they should remain in place, given the tories are moving to lift them and people think they've fucked up previously - it probably doesn't help that cases are rising while they are still saying they'll open up. 

It doesn't seem to be quite as fringe a view up here as it seems down south that vaccines break that link and it is much safer to open up now. Of course that's just what I see on twitter and could easily be influenced by who and what I follow, but the views on this thread are certainly not echoed to any great extent on the English twitter regions I access compared to the Scottish 

Prior to the 2014 referendum, I hardly knew anyone who admitted to being pro union. But we all know what happened there.

Just because you don't encounter many pro restriction people doesn't mean they aren't out there. 

I frequent another forum which is dominated by posters from England. Their covid thread has a significantly different tone to this one with the vast majority very uneasy at the prospect of restrictions being lifted. 

Daily Cases Update:   No change to the upwards trajectory.  This time another 5.83% and positivity up to 2.2% , Scottish infections are up 175% in 3 weeks.  Northern Ireland continue to drop. I wonder if their vaccine progress is paying off better than ours. We now have twice the numbers that they do.

Renfrewshire as predicted goes top.  Edinburgh (Silverknowes over 1000) and Dundee surges continue. All parts of Ayrshire firing upwards.   

Unless case numbers are totally binned then I expect level 1 can be kissed goodbye to for everyone bar a few teuchters.

In Europe no major country now is above 150 per 100K.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 21st May to 27th May  were 2986 now 3160 up 5.83%.  Positivity was 2.1% now 2.2%.   Cases per 100k were 54.7 now 57.8

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average  26.2 to 27.0 up 3.05%, England  24.8 to 25.7 up 3.63%,  Wales  8.7 to 8.9 up 2.30%, Northern Ireland 30.9 to 28.8 down 6.80%

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Naughty Level 3 Councils

Renfrewshire  132.3 to 145.2  Up another near 10% and as predicted 4 days ago goes top.

East Renfrewshire    124.6 to 138.2  Bit of a spike again up 30% in 2 days but no real hotspots

Glasgow City   133.9 to 132.0   Down for 3rd day in a row.

Dundee City  89.1 to 96.4  A particularly diverse part of Dundee clearly affected.

Clackmannanshire    114.5 to 95.1 Back on the down part of the rollercoaster now.

Midlothian    86.5 to 89.8

City Of Edinburgh  65.9 to 71.8  Silverknowes now Scotland's no go area at 1008.1 per 100K    City up astonishing 38% in 48 hours

East Dunbartonshire  69.0 to 70.9  

South Lanarkshire 69.3 to 69.3

North Lanarkshire 50.4 to 60.1  Up over 60% in 3 days 

North Ayrshire  52.0 to 60.1

South Ayrshire  46.2 to 58.6  Up close to 200% in a few days.

Under 50 Level 2 Criteria Club

East Ayrshire   45.9 to 47.5

Stirling  40.3 to 44.6 

Fife    35.1 to 37.5

Perth & Kinross  30.3 to 34.9  

Falkirk   34.8 to 32.9

West Lothian  24.6 to 26.8

Angus   21.5 to 25.0

Inverclyde   20.6 to 23.1

West Dunbartonshire   24.7 to 21.4

Highlands 8.9 to 20.4  Fort William boozer outbreak appears.

The Should be in Level 1  Club Sub 20.0image.jpeg.2ac60f85799d1453b2fa133e8de973d3.jpeg

Aberdeen City   15.7 to 15.7  

East Lothian  11.2 to 14.9 

Moray   14.6 to 13.6

Argyll & Bute   9.3 to 11.6

Aberdeenshire  10.3 to 8.4

Scottish  Borders 5.2 to 4.3

Dumfries & Galloway 2.7 to 4.0 

Western Isles  3.7 to 0.0

Orkney Islands  9.0 to 0.0 

Shetland Islands 0.0 to 0.0

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The most patronising man in the business is at it again

Why are we still obsessing with cleaning everything within an inch of its life / with entry and exit controls in an outdoor environment?

On one hand we'd moan if they just didn't allow this, but it is also fair to point out that it sounds absolutely pish at the same time.