Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Me,me,me,me,me,me,me,book deal, me me,me,me,tvshow,me,me,me,sunshine,me,me,me,masks,fear,fear,fear,me,fuckmentalhealth,me,me,me,u-turn,me,me,fear,fear,me,me,me

'I'm an optimist but I would have said to delay several more weeks just to make sure.

How many times do they want to sell apples off that cart?

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'I'm an optimist but I would have said to delay several more weeks just to make sure.

How many times do they want to sell apples off that cart?

I've no problem with 'experts' disagreeing with the Government. But I do have a problem with them doing so in public.

Dear unelected 'expert' please f**k off and stop undermining the effort to give me my normal life back.

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sadiq Khan saying he is looking at options to retain legally mandated mask wearing on TFL services. How the hell does a mayor have powers to do that ???

No doubt Burnham to try similar. This could get farcical

Johnson was able to ban alcohol on the tube so Khan probably can insist on masks. 

No idea about Burnham as not all Mayors have the same powers, albeit transport is one of them. Hopefully another confrontation with Mr Northernman doesn't lead to another wholesale reversal. 

I keep saying it - anyone insisting on mask wearing can still wear their own. And instead of all the feet stamping about selfish other people rendering them pointless, buy a proper FFP3 one and stop thinking a piece of cloth or paper is the answer. The FFP3 mask will protect you. 

The vast majority of us that won't be wearing them do protect others - we've been vaccinated. 

The real failure about opening up is why haven't we managed to accelerate vaccinations in the last month or so.  

The decision to restrict the Astra Zeneca vaccine to over 40s made sense at the time - we had reduced the wave, we had reduced spread and were on top of the pandemic.  However, that decision was taken on the 7th of May - in the UK that day there were 2,490 cases.  Yesterday there were 27,000 cases, mostly in the under 40s.  That changes the risk profile for using the Astra Zeneca vaccine on under 40s.  At the very least it should surely be offered to under 40s - if the government is going to say that people should use their own judgement about restrictions surely they can allow under 40s to use their own judgement regarding the AZ vaccine.

9 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

#Lambda variant also trending. Search for it and you'll get a laugh.

I love this logic. 

The Tories will make lots of money by killing people, which will fall predominately amongst people that vote for them given the age profile. 

Surprised that killing your own voters has never caught on before!

Edited by Michael W

Sadiq Khan saying he is looking at options to retain legally mandated mask wearing on TFL services. How the hell does a mayor have powers to do that ???

No doubt Burnham to try similar. This could get farcical

Said it before on this thread, but for peak patter Sturgeon should announce masks must be worn in public when in greater Manchester. The sheer hilarity of Burnham trying to overrule her on mask wearing and undermine Johnson on freedom of choice would be great entertainment.

Some of the responses to the announcement about easing that I've seen on social media are completely crazed.  This isn't just the attention seeking types that usually get posted in this thread - it's people I know, who seem to essentially think that Boris Johnson wants everyone to die.  Quite a bit of it is the misery-guts misanthropic leftist phenomenon that is pretty common on social media and a lot of it is also independence supporters who hate the Tories - I can only assume that Scotland following the lead on reopening a couple of weeks after England won't be seen as evidence of genocide.

25 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'd delay until 2034 just to be sure.  Oh and keep the hospitality sector limited to soft drinks and soccer behind closed doors.

No international travel ever again either just to be sure.  We just don't know.

Mods please.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As is having a photo of yourself wearing one as your avatar.

That is toe curling behaviour right there.

It’s just another social media pathetic left vs right tribal thing. It started with trump being so anti COVID restrictions so folk on Twitter felt compelled to show anti trump and caring they are. 

The folk who protest any covid restrictions regardless of circumstances are equally as bad. 

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Some of the responses to the announcement about easing that I've seen on social media are completely crazed.  This isn't just the attention seeking types that usually get posted in this thread - it's people I know, who seem to essentially think that Boris Johnson wants everyone to die.  Quite a bit of it is the misery-guts misanthropic leftist phenomenon that is pretty common on social media and a lot of it is also independence supporters who hate the Tories - I can only assume that Scotland following the lead on reopening a couple of weeks after England won't be seen as evidence of genocide.

Its just the ever increasing polarisation between the screaming hysterics who are convinced we are facing Armageddon and libertarian edgelords who first learnt the words civil liberties 16 months ago and haven't tired of using them.

Doesnt seem much room for the view that now is the right time to try and open up however, we haven't fully vaccinated enough to gain herd immunity so cases are likely to go even higher which will put pressure on the NHS.  Not because of absolute numbers of younger people getting ill and needing treatment but because we have a health service that is staffed inadequately by people who have worked under huge pressure since the pandemic began with high levels of long term sickness absence.

Edited by Aladdin

33 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've no problem with 'experts' disagreeing with the Government. But I do have a problem with them doing so in public.

Dear unelected 'expert' please f**k off and stop undermining the effort to give me my normal life back.

Stunning turnaround from Todd here! :lol:

5 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

People trying to look and sound serious whilst using the phrase “Variant Factory” all over the TV this morning 

This is just the latest in the chain that started with “we may never have a vaccine”

Saw them supporting Napalm Death at the Cathouse in 1993. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Worth noting that for all the frothing , the rage and the total meltdowns about our children getting seriously sick and potentially using them as guinea pigs to let it run rampage, this is the total number of hospital cases in children in Scotland since the start of the pandemic. This is where the current rage and 'terror' is being directed.

image.png.ef504ca111876e61aff8a8f586660f24.png

And the total number of deaths in Scotland since the start of the pandemic.

image.png.c99e47ff34e1b27e1498db9f3a2329c3.png

This is the hill these zero covid nutters choose to die on.

2.3% of all hospital cases.

0.00038% of all deaths.

Such people need genuine help.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s just another social media pathetic left vs right tribal thing. It started with trump being so anti COVID restrictions so folk on Twitter felt compelled to show anti trump and caring they are. 

The folk who protest any covid restrictions regardless of circumstances are equally as bad. 

Remember when the 'progressives' were calling Trump xenophobic and unhinged for shutting the borders?

I can't quite remember when the 180-flip came.

12 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

People trying to look and sound serious whilst using the phrase “Variant Factory” all over the TV this morning 

This is just the latest in the chain that started with “we may never have a vaccine”

People who thinks 'vArIaNtZ' have a greater chance of occurring in a highly vaxxed population, are cretins.