Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Seriously?  That’s your take on this?
I think it’s great news, as we all know the vaccines work, and the more vaccinated the better
Thats a pretty common medical take on it also, as plenty have questioned the morality of vaccinating one for the benefit of another.

Take up for 12 to 15 year olds will be less than 50% IMHO.

Just wait for the first Facebook maw claiming that her weans don’t need it as they play in the dirt and their immune system is healthy.

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

She's been desperate for this because it's what Devi says should happen.

I don't really care either way if those under-18 are vaccinated or not as they're simply not at risk from Covid.

If you're looking at it from a domestic normality viewpoint then it's better they get jagged.  If you're taking the wider view about risk it's better they don't get jagged and more vulnerable cohorts around the world get those vaccines.  In world terms we're actually talking about "irresponsibly using" a drop in the ocean of what the world needs but that's how the WHO and other countries will be looking at it.  the big bad west looking after their own and sticking two fingers up to the needy.

Now it will be "restrictions will fully be lifted when all 12-15 year olds are vaccinated". Absolute pish we seem to be waiting until every last adult, teen is vaccinated. What next wait until next year when everyone is advised to get a booster? Nonsense and we shouldn't have waited a moment longer to lift restrictions when the elderly and  vulnerable were double dunted 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Now it will be "restrictions will fully be lifted when all 12-15 year olds are vaccinated". 

This was my first thought too. Which will then roll into "once boosters given to the vulnerable", then "boosters given to all adults".

24 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Seriously?  That’s your take on this?

I think it’s great news, as we all know the vaccines work, and the more vaccinated the better

We're already in a state where the virus has been totally de-risked to that of any other respiratory infection. I suppose if teenagers want to be vaccinated they can be, but it's really not necessary. In time, it will be even less necessary.

It's more the knicker-wetting that 'the bairns will get ill/LoNg CoViD if they're no vaxxed' that grinds my gears.

20 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If you're looking at it from a domestic normality viewpoint then it's better they get jagged.  If you're taking the wider view about risk it's better they don't get jagged and more vulnerable cohorts around the world get those vaccines.  In world terms we're actually talking about "irresponsibly using" a drop in the ocean of what the world needs but that's how the WHO and other countries will be looking at it.  the big bad west looking after their own and sticking two fingers up to the needy.

Yup, this sums things up pretty nicely.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This was my first thought too. Which will then roll into "once boosters given to the vulnerable", then "boosters given to all adults".

We know what the 'solution' to this is though. 

It's in NYC. It's in the EU. It's in England from the 26th of September.

Happy for kids to be vaccinated, I'm just not convinced we need it given the threat that they face from the virus being tiny. Kids with clinical vulnerabilities or living with adults with these should however be vaccinated, and I expect we'll cover 12-15 year olds too once approval is given. 

This was also revealing from the ONS survey:

Edited by Michael W

It's been inevitable for some time to be fair.
With virtually everyone else double vaccinated, it's going to be kids who are the only ones left to pass the virus around in large numbers.
For a government absolutely obsessed with case numbers this is exactly the news they've been waiting for.
Question is how long will it take to get through that cohort.
You would think they could bash through them in no time at all by sending the nurses into the schools

6 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Anyone had to covid test a 2 year old? Any tips? Our wee one is borderline high temp on the nursery thermometer and if it goes up he will be sent home and unable to go back unless he produces negative covid test. Praying it goes down as its hard enough getting calpol in him 😭

Temp was 36.5 when I collected him. Hallelujah! 

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
It's been inevitable for some time to be fair.
With virtually everyone else double vaccinated, it's going to be kids who are the only ones left to pass the virus around in large numbers.
For a government absolutely obsessed with case numbers this is exactly the news they've been waiting for.
Question is how long will it take to get through that cohort.

You would think they could bash through them in no time at all by sending the nurses into the schools

won't help when half of them are off isolating.

On a serious note my fag packet calculations would estimate around 120,000 16-17 year olds in Scotland.  No idea how long it will take to get them onto the system and get this drive up and running but assuming no supply issues (which I doubt as I think we have plenty stock at the moment) there's surely no reason they can't get them first jagged before schools go back.  It's not like the vaccination centres are stretched at the moment.

That's what happens in primary schools for the flu. There were about three nurses who managed to complete a whole class in twenty minutes.

Granted that's a nasal spray one.

To be absolutely honest, the vaccine passport I have for travelling between Ireland and the UK was not checked at all, our actual passports were not checked either. Tomorrow we will see the way back