Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Speaking as a man who got changed in a disabled toilet tonight before giving my textbook plodding display for an hour, I can confirm that fives changing rooms remain closed.
Fecking cooncils who run facilities are the problem. They know rather than a clean with a broom once a week that the showers and changing rooms need constantly cleaned.
What to do.
Oh f**k it keep them closed and just force punters to turn up changed and drive home smelling like shit.
Policy where I am anyway.
The £57 an hour has not reduced along with the facilities.
So not govt restrictions just public sector laziness.

An aptly timed article from The Torygraph - and it's spot on.  It does seem like the pressure is starting to build, so hopefully they get it fucked off fairly soon.

Any "pressure" will vanish in around 4-6 weeks when maw, paw and the weans are no longer wanting their week on the beach unfortunately. The much maligned NZ announced a plan to restart international travel in January, I wouldn't bet on the UK being too much further on than we are now re testing and traffic lights by then.

Speaking as a man who got changed in a disabled toilet tonight before giving my textbook plodding display for an hour, I can confirm that fives changing rooms remain closed.

It’s verging into pointless anecdotal shit but my fives pitches have had changing rooms open since they reopened at Level 1, and the gym I use has never closed the showers/changing rooms at all, even in Level 3.

At the same time even now the local public gym will have someone work the lockers for you so you don’t touch anything, won’t let you get changed and doesn’t even allow swimmers to stop at the edge of the pool in case of.. reasons.

It’s all excuses at this stage. Anything that isn’t normal is an active choice.

Any "pressure" will vanish in around 4-6 weeks when maw, paw and the weans are no longer wanting their week on the beach unfortunately. The much maligned NZ announced a plan to restart international travel in January, I wouldn't bet on the UK being too much further on than we are now re testing and traffic lights by then.
I wouldn't be too sure - there's school holidays in October across the UK - there will still be a lot of people who want to get away.

The biggest pressure will come from the travel industry itself - the threat of major travel firms going under might force them to do something.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

2nd jag done yesterday. Arm killing me this morning, and suspect it'll get a battering tonight whilst I'm crammed into a full McDiarmid Park but it'll be worth it.

Had around a 35 minute wait in a queue of people getting their 2nd jab yesterday btw. They said there was a lot of drop in of younger folk too.

I've got a bit of a head cold today blocked nose and sore head, annoying as I never had any side effects other than a sore arm for round one.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

I've got a bit of a head cold today blocked nose and sore head, annoying as I never had any side effects other than a sore arm for round one.

Yeah my wife was same as you, so far I've just got an arm that I can barely move without it hurting.

Bit shite as my back is fucked, so not moving my arm seems to be causing issues there too.

30 minutes ago, Paco said:

It’s verging into pointless anecdotal shit but my fives pitches have had changing rooms open since they reopened at Level 1, and the gym I use has never closed the showers/changing rooms at all, even in Level 3.

At the same time even now the local public gym will have someone work the lockers for you so you don’t touch anything, won’t let you get changed and doesn’t even allow swimmers to stop at the edge of the pool in case of.. reasons.

It’s all excuses at this stage. Anything that isn’t normal is an active choice.

I am starting to worry that the rules are being applied inconsistently.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah my wife was same as you, so far I've just got an arm that I can barely move without it hurting.

Bit shite as my back is fucked, so not moving my arm seems to be causing issues there too.

I'm just going to stay in bed, hopefully it clears up today. But if I was in your position even if the Vax had put me in a coma I would be demanding to be at the football tonight.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

A law firm is seeking a judicial review of hotel quarantine in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58180307

Interesting one. Per the article, only Ireland and Norway were enforcing this on arrival and are not now doing so to fully-vaccinated travellers. 

I wonder if perceived risks around legal challenges are the reason Europe has generally not gone down this route. Then again, there are many measures that were implemented which also deprive people of liberty. Spain keeping kids in doors during the first lockdown, numerous bans on indoor gatheringsand mixing etc. 

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

True. Hopefully it’s not true.

I canny be fucked with it anymore. The fact that deaths are going up again just annoys me. 

But this was always going to happen over time, it's why boosters will become an annual thing for the vulnerable, or at least until we really are in a state where Covid is no more than another common cold strain due to eventual repeated infections.

Oh, and it's obviously ideal for Big Pharma's bank balance. Andrew Pollard (Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, sold at cost) has only recently criticised this. People getting 'breakthrough infections' that are essentially the sniffles is not an issue. The pandemic is still ending.

57 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, Elixir said:

An aptly timed article from The Torygraph - and it's spot on.  It does seem like the pressure is starting to build, so hopefully they get it fucked off fairly soon.

Except there's the October Holidays, and Christmas, and the fact that the UK will continue to slip further behind its competitors. I also imagine as the number of fully vaccinated folk 'testing positive' abroad increases over autumn and winter and therefore leaving them stranded, which isn't happening to EU or US citizens, the media criticism will only continue.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

A law firm is seeking a judicial review of hotel quarantine in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58180307

Lobbing anyone coming from the Global South into prison for ten days, despite being vaccinated and even testing negative, was never going to be a good look. The 'progressives' love it, though.

The house of cards that are the policies of Australia, New Zealand and China etc really are starting to fall apart. They always were going to eventually, though. History won't be kind to those who endorsed it.

Except there's the October Holidays, and Christmas, and the fact that the UK will continue to slip further behind its competitors. I also imagine as the number of fully vaccinated folk 'testing positive' abroad increases over autumn and winter and therefore leaving them stranded, which isn't happening to EU or US citizens, the media criticism will only continue.
I'm not disagreeing and I have two trips booked between now and Christmas. Long weekend in Paris in October is simply unviable with the current testing requirements and while I would grudgingly pay it in November for 2 weeks in the Canaries I'm far from convinced that won't be cancelled by the operator as they are currently cancelling left right and centre to consolidate flights due to the lack of demand which is almost certainly down to the cost and uncertainty caused by the testing requirements.

I'm not disagreeing and I have two trips booked between now and Christmas. Long weekend in Paris in October is simply unviable with the current testing requirements and while I would grudgingly pay it in November for 2 weeks in the Canaries I'm far from convinced that won't be cancelled by the operator as they are currently cancelling left right and centre to consolidate flights due to the lack of demand which is almost certainly down to the cost and uncertainty caused by the testing requirements.
I can think of at least one major carrier who won't survive this if it goes on much longer.

It would be far cheaper for the government to either reduce or get rid unnecessary tests (or at least provide them for free) than the substantial bailouts they will need to pay to keep the industry going or to cover costs of travel businesses that go under.

Just been given my second vaccine appointment but I can’t make it, and was going to bring it forward to basically next week if possible, but when going to rearrange it’s claiming there’s no appointments available at any location at any time.

Are places still doing walk-ins and can I just show up any time now or does it have to be after 8 weeks from first one?

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Banks seemed to be doing that long before covid was a thing. I remember a few times turning up to pay money into my account and while I was queuing someone coming up to me and telling me I could just deposit it in an envelope into their wee box.

Aye RBS in Forfar started this stuff 2-3 years ago when they got an automated pay-in machine installed in the branch. I didn't mind this actually as I was getting fed up with using the tellers for pay-ins and getting asked every fucking time if I wanted information on their mortgages, insurances and to do a quick survey about the banking experience.

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Just been given my second vaccine appointment but I can’t make it, and was going to bring it forward to basically next week if possible, but when going to rearrange it’s claiming there’s no appointments available at any location at any time.

Are places still doing walk-ins and can I just show up any time now or does it have to be after 8 weeks from first one?

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the 8 week limit causing that. I rearranged my second vaccination appointment as well and I couldn't find anything earlier then the date I finally booked. Turned out the day I had my second jab was bang on 8 weeks so I'd imagine the system prevents you booking one before that 8 week wait.

Edited by NorthernLights

11 hours ago, Elixir said:

What do you mean? SAGE gave the go ahead for the 19 July unlocking after getting 21 June pushed back.

Ultimately it's the government that makes the decisions, and that although easing the restrictions in July was the correct decision BJs justification was vacuous.