Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Who could have guessed that immunity from repeat exposure would end a respiratory virus pandemic the same as err... all others that have come before it - and not wearing a bit of cloth when going to break the seal after you've necked six pints.

It was never a given that there would be umpteen working vaccines against Covid-19, and no government (certainly not on this hellhole island) ever actually established what the plan was if no vaccine was attainable at any point over the last year.

I somehow think Omicron would be being presented completely differently if no vaccine existed.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The J&J vaccine also has boosters that are already being rolled out in locations that have been using J&J as an initial vaccine.

Thanks for that.

Was it ever approved for use in the UK? And if so has it actually ever been administered into anyone's arm in the UK?

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv been thinking about this tonight at work. I feel quite edgy today, and I can only put it down to actual anxiety at this shit. Not something iv ever been able to really identify before but its definitely affecting me in a negative way. I can feel it in my mind and physically.  

I'll wait and see what these restrictions are going to be. A return to WFH full-time will be something I can't avoid (but will be seething about), however any restrictions on seeing other households at Xmas for example will be roundly fucking ignored anyway. 

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

it’s an extension of the vaccine passports coming and it could last til march.

Aye every winter from now on, we will have to prove we are safe from any airborne infections to mingle.

That will essentially protect the NHS without spending any extra money on it.

20 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Thanks for that.

Was it ever approved for use in the UK? And if so has it actually ever been administered into anyone's arm in the UK?

It is approved for the UK but I’m not sure if supplies have been delivered yet.

At the risk of sounding like a selfish arsehole, I’ve had enough of this self isolation pish. If omicron is as transmissible as they say, this Christmas is going to be absolutely fucked for everyone because everyone (as in your average pub goer) is almost guaranteed to get it. Folk are going to miss out on catch ups, memories and a festive sesh because of a shitey variant that evidence suggests so far is a mild version of the virus. The PCR test can detect what variant it is - honestly at the point where I think anyone who tests positive for omicron should be allowed to carry on as normal. The vaccines were meant to spell an end to this. Will we just keep making new boosters every time there’s a new variant and keep getting folk to isolate - forever? Seems that way.

The S*n reporting it’s an extension of the vaccine passports coming and it could last til march.

I now await a full wuhan lockdown. Til June.

IF it’s only an extension to the vaccine passports that’s far better than I thought it would be. I’m guessing those passports will move from 2 to 3 doses at some point like Javid mentioned yesterday.

But I just get the feeling there will be more with this announcement.

PCR came back +ve yesterday.

Was fine yesterday, mainly a head cold and a bit achy then constantly running nose started at 6pm last night.

Woke up this morning with what feels like a mid-level chest infection but not wheezy or crackly. Just tight. Still bunged up as well and a bit shivery, with slightly sore teeth. 

Apart from that, all good. Taste and smell still here. My 2nd day of a new job though and I don't want to phone in on the Sick this early so thankfully I can just put the laptop in and batter through.

Really can't see what can be done other than an extension of vaccine passports. Even restrictions on numbers would require some sort of support package which, as far as I can tell, we don't have.

Suppose we'll just need to wait and see. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Really can't believe we're back in this position of constant worry and anxiety.

14 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

IF it’s only an extension to the vaccine passports that’s far better than I thought it would be. I’m guessing those passports will move from 2 to 3 doses at some point like Javid mentioned yesterday.

But I just get the feeling there will be more with this announcement.

That's where I am too, hoping it's just an extension of vaccine passports for indoor entertainment & hospitality but can't shake the feeling there will be something else - I suspect a return to "don't travel outside your local authority area unless absolutely necessary" might come back in some form but hope I'm wrong.

The mother in law is going the right way about me actively wanting to get covid so I have to cancel plans to visit over Xmas. 

In addition to her ridiculous testing requirements for visiting, she has now requested that We don’t attend a close mates wedding this weekend (she was roundly told to f**k off) and is badgering my mrs to get our booster before our visit, bordering on harassment. 

In my work we have been told in line with upcoming advice everyone must work from home from tomorrow unless you are on essential duties (I.e physically printing and posting all the stuff).

So there are definitely going to be some big(?) changes today.

Schools are closing on Friday
No papers, no party
Reckless tories
Begging bowl denied, bad Westminster
Make no excuses for 'saving' lives
Care more
We just don't know
Do what we say or we'll go further
Enough about the debate / vote in Westminster today, what's your predictions for Scotland ?

Seriously the rhetoric is now almost identical from both administrations. Dorries saying this morning it's extended vaccine certification or hospitality and indoor events close for example. I suspect we are going to get more of the appeal type "measures" rather than actual law as they know that after the revelations of the last couple of weeks actual legal restrictions on household mixing are going to see high levels of non compliance. They have also ruled out schools closing early so don't see that being announced today either. While I think closing schools would have made sense, you just need to see the reactions here yesterday to see it wouldn't be universally popular.