Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Best just get him put down. Don’t want to catch the sniffly wifflys now do we

Not sure I can afford vet fees, I'll just set her free instead to roam the wilds of the west of Scotland.

38 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Not sure I can afford vet fees, I'll just set her free instead to roam the wilds of the west of Scotland.

Just flush it down the bog. 

"Farewell old friend. I send you off to Davy Jones' Locker with good wishes and happy memories."

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I must be misunderstanding your post cos I can't see what you are disagreeing about.

I think I'm in agreement with what you've posted here.

I've probably missed something.

Just the point you made that one peer review journal was as good as another - I don't agree with that.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Been in a Teams call with a few colleagues. One tested positive today (no symptoms). Another's son tested positive (again, no symptoms). A third had to isolate a couple of weeks back as she tested positive with mild symptoms. 

Time to end this, really. 

Then again, just search for "BA2" on twitter and you'll see that apparently we're scunnered with a new variant on its way. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I tracked down the article that all this noise is based on (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.480335v1.full.pdf). Not yet peer reviewed. 

But all this about it being more pathogenic (ie damaging) is based on experiments conducted on hamsters. 

Call me a cynic, but I don't think we should lock down/force mask wearing/use vaccine passports based on 20 hamsters in a lab experiment. Even if these hamsters have been vaccinated! I'd rather wait on the real world data.

The bad faith actors and alarmists are saying this because Hong Kong etc are starting to be absolutely pumped rotten. Nothing at all to do with them having practically zero immunity and low uptake of the shan Chinese vaccines, obviously... Not to mention their policy of firing anyone who merely tests positive straight to the hospital, regardless of severity.

It is a sub-lineage of Omicron that has been dominant in places like Denmark for several weeks. Nobody gives a f**k for obvious reasons.

Real world data on BA2 should be out there as its been around for month already and it is already blocking out its sister co-variant and taking over. This is the one that apparently can give you the shits, but otherwise no more serious than BA1.
This obsession with the virus as if we are still stuck in early 2020 and denial that it is not a serious public health problem now is part of the issue discussed earlier in the day, should we drop everything when the variant siren goes off again? Not now, surely we have a bigger problem with all those people including children whom have been neglected by the NHS over the last two years. This has to become priority now over this continuing pointless circus that is only going to cost more lives. Plus there are people whom are struggling to adjust to everything opening up as the virus becoming less and less of a threat to health. Ironically some of these who have anxiety over this are some of the ones who need medical attention asap but have fallen off the radar over the two years and are stuck in a loop.

Because the politicians, even the ones who are dropping restrictions are not coming out and telling folk that the virus respresents no more threat to the vulnerable than anything else they can and always have been able to catch on a day to day basis, and a vanishingly small threat to the young and healthy.

Theres now no doubt that there absolutely are people who are choking for this to go on and on. There was a point where this was debated, why would anyone.... etc. I cant answer that, but its absolutely happening

Lifted virtually all the Covid restrictions here yesterday morning. Was in the supermarket without a mask, as were most folk, and it was good to feel back to normal.

On a possibly related note, my employer sent out an email this morning confirming that following the lifting of the applicable restrictions, we are all expected back in the office on the 28th of this month. This afternoon the office went on fire…

Edited by Ross.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It’s when you manipulate someone into doubting their own sanity. Comes from a 1940s noir film, The Gaslight.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And it's now being used by the likes of Gurdasani to mean "you're telling me that I am wrong about covid and that I'm over-reacting". In other words, disagreeing with her professionally means you are gaslighting her.

She's an idiot of the highest order.

I've struggled to understand the term and having lacked the enthusiasm to carry out any meaningful research on the matter, I'm indebted to ICTChris for his succinct guidance.

I think I can offer a good gaslighting example and it is connected with a flagrant mischaracterisation of the events surrounding the indy ref in 2014.

Is there anyone out there who can help me track down the gaslighter in chief?

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Could have sworn there was a post on here by @Elixirtalking about Independent Sage disbanding tomorrow but I can't find it now.

I'll believe it when I see it. This doesn't sound like a group ready to walk away:

It’s a cracking statement in s comedy gold kind of way tbf.

Point g is a real humdinger.

What a bunch of self promoting fannies.

57 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Could have sworn there was a post on here by @Elixirtalking about Independent Sage disbanding tomorrow but I can't find it now.

I'll believe it when I see it. This doesn't sound like a group ready to walk away:

I'm sure the government will take heed and prioritise the gurning of these irrelevant losers. 

Free tests seem to be the latest, pointless hill they've chosen to die on, after being blasted off their 'reckless Tooooaaaries ignoring Omicron!!!111!!' take like the Yanks getting bodied by the Viet Cong. 

It certainly is, and well done to the SG on passing the admittedly low bar of getting better value than Matt Hancock securing mates' rates from NHS England. 

As ever though, what PE gives with one hand (page 9) it takes away with the other (page, err, 10 of the same issue) by pointing out yet another glaring issue with the SG's care more strategy of lobbing off the bottom of fire doors:

IMG_20220218_214703__01.thumb.jpg.10292c2364eb78721ca1107cf1c16a03.jpg

I'm sure that the SG will announce the complete and utter folly of their idea in due course, what with them being interested in holding an adult conversation with the people of Scotland at all times.

Ireland confirming the removal of mask rules on the 28th of this month and will also be shortly telling their version of sage to stand down, Nicola is going to look very silly if she doesn't at least give a date for binning the mask mandate.

i'm not up to speed on european politics but would anyone describe the governments of norway, sweden finland denmark switzerland and ROI as reckless right wing populists?

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

It certainly is, and well done to the SG on passing the admittedly low bar of getting better value than Matt Hancock securing mates' rates from NHS England. 

As ever though, what PE gives with one hand (page 9) it takes away with the other (page, err, 10 of the same issue) by pointing out yet another glaring issue with the SG's care more strategy of lobbing off the bottom of fire doors:

IMG_20220218_214703__01.thumb.jpg.10292c2364eb78721ca1107cf1c16a03.jpg

I'm sure that the SG will announce the complete and utter folly of their idea in due course, what with them being interested in holding an adult conversation with the people of Scotland at all times.

I thought they had already announced that this utterly ridiculous idea had been binned?

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The sheer audacity of these fuds asking for scientific evidence and risk assessments. Their 'credibility' is in absolute bits. Tried to bounce us into a Christmas lockdown, cases plummeted post July 19 last year after all their screeching, then again after the binning of 'Plan B'. There are countless other examples.

Risible.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Ireland confirming the removal of mask rules on the 28th of this month and will also be shortly telling their version of sage to stand down, Nicola is going to look very silly if she doesn't at least give a date for binning the mask mandate.

i'm not up to speed on european politics but would anyone describe the governments of norway, sweden finland denmark switzerland and ROI as reckless right wing populists?

Ah, but in Scotland from 28 February, the weans will be allowed to take off their bits of cloth in the classroom - just not in corridors and communal areas!

Again, risible.

At least Christine Tait-Burkard was on STV News today saying they should be in the bin by mid-March, though that's still too late.

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

I thought they had already announced that this utterly ridiculous idea had been binned?

I must have missed Nicola Sturgeon's admission that her "basic common sense" idea (c. 10 days ago) was actually a crock of shite. I'm pretty sure that the largely Unionist media would have covered that in great detail tbh. 

Perhaps one of the diddy storms was a good day to bury bad news though.