Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

As is another respondent on that thread claiming that 25% of all those infected end up with "long covid" (that would be over 3 million in the UK if it was remotely true).

These same people will also be quick to scream "yer peddling misinformation" at others without a hint of irony.

Even the Gurdasani calculator doesn't produce numbers like that. 

Rage is all they've got. They've comprehensively lost the argument; zero covid is dead in the water and their accompanying, miserable, dystopia hell is gone with it. 

You love to see it. 

That pays for my shopping every month so that's a real disappointment. Even taking that aside, I think continuing the survey would be a good idea just from a scientific point of view, it's not like it's putting anybody out the way restrictions are, and it might help with our understanding for any future pandemics.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Our only hope here is that every major developed country removes all restrictions and Scotland literally becomes an outlier.

Right now, she gets away with her control freakery because most other developed countries still have restrictions in place.

We're going to have to be patient I'm afraid.

European countries that have either scrapped masks and vaccine passports before Scotland, or are planning to within the next month:

- 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England

- 🇩🇰 Denmark

- 🇸🇪 Sweden

- 🇸🇯 Norway

- 🇫🇮 Finland

- 🇮🇸 Iceland

- 🇫🇴 Faroe Islands

- 🇮🇪 Republic of Ireland (Northern Ireland likely to follow)

- 🇳🇱 Netherlands

- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic

- 🇵🇱 Poland (masks still in place indoors but barely enforced)

- 🇭🇺 Hungary (as above)

A truly embarrassing state of affairs.

Edited by Elixir

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That pays for my shopping every month so that's a real disappointment. Even taking that aside, I think continuing the survey would be a good idea just from a scientific point of view, it's not like it's putting anybody out the way restrictions are, and it might help with our understanding for any future pandemics.

In fairness, I have little issue with the ONS survey, but if it stops the obsessing over covid data, it's probably a positive development. Our surveillance methods for influenza should also suffice for covid.

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

European countries that have either scrapped masks and vaccine passports before Scotland, or are planning to within the next month:

- 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England

- 🇩🇰 Denmark

- 🇸🇪 Sweden

- 🇸🇯 Norway

- 🇫🇮 Finland

- 🇮🇸 Iceland

- 🇫🇴 Faroe Islands

- 🇮🇪 Republic of Ireland (Northern Ireland likely to follow)

- 🇳🇱 Netherlands

- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic

- 🇵🇱 Poland (masks still in place indoors but barely enforced)

- 🇭🇺 Hungary (as above)

A truly embarrassing state of affairs.

- 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Wales (Mark Drakeford FFS)

Get to f**k, Sturgeon, and take your shan, tinpot administration with you.

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I see Wales is ditching passports and masks other than in shops and public transport in a few weeks. Aiming to remove mask mandates completely in March.

Could be a get out for Sturgeon to do the same hopefully.

You would imagine we will follow. 

It's been *two years*. How about your 'new normal' is you losing a few pounds. Unlucky.

'There should be a new normal'

_123217774_d272dfb9-bf17-4e03-813b-e699e
Leandra Craine is concerned too many restrictions are being lifted at once

Leandra Craine, 23, who works for Disability Wales, said she was worried too many restrictions were being eased at once.

"I especially think of friends and family members who are immuno-supressed and have been having to shield for two years," she added.

"My main concern is that being too quick could really destroy the work we've done so far over the last two years so far.

"We're just lucky enough to benefit from vaccines, for example, and we're more protected... I don't think we should go back to normal as was, as I don't think it was working too well.

"I think there should be a new normal."

Leonardo-DiCaprio-laughing-meme-template

Edited by Elixir

32 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's been *two years*. How about your 'new normal' is you losing a few pounds. Unlucky.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-laughing-meme-template

"I especially think of friends and family members who are immuno-supressed and have been having to shield for two years," she added

I don’t find that a reasonable argument for me to wear a mask taking a piss in the pub 

Seriously though, you can use that excuse indefinitely and it feels like such a cop out to return to normality 

“I don’t think we should return to normal, it wasn’t working too well” is up there with some of the most self centred views throughout all of this. 

She also says we’re going to destroy ‘two years of work’ and ‘we’re lucky to benefit from vaccines’. I mean, where do you start with that logic? 

ETA - I don’t like to make a habit of getting angered by random punters views but she really boiled my piss for some reason. 

Edited by Dons_1988

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

"I especially think of friends and family members who are immuno-supressed and have been having to shield for two years," she added

I don’t find that a reasonable argument for me to wear a mask taking a piss in the pub 

Seriously though, you can use that excuse indefinitely and it feels like such a cop out to return to normality 

This is nonsense btw.

First of all you’re talking 500,000 people across the UK who are immunosuppressed in a nation of 67,500,500. Having some kind of underlying health condition is not the same as being immunosuppressed and I’m concerned that the two terms are being used interchangeably (possibly deliberately by bad faith actors trying to argue for more restrictions)

Secondly, shielding was in place from March 2020 to August of the same year and then again from December 2020 until April 2021. That’s a total of 9 months by my calculator and certainly not two years. 

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This is nonsense btw.

First of all you’re talking 500,000 people across the UK who are immunosuppressed in a nation of 67,500,500. Having some kind of underlying health condition is not the same as being immunosuppressed and I’m concerned that the two terms are being used interchangeably (possibly deliberately by bad faith actors trying to argue for more restrictions)

Secondly, shielding was in place from March 2020 to August of the same year and then again from December 2020 until April 2021. That’s a total of 9 months by my calculator and certainly not two years. 

You're forgetting that people deciding to voluntarily weld themselves into their house is now society's fault, and Nobody Can Possibly Move On until their irrational needs are met.

Bad news for any mental health practitioner who will see more genuine cases of need being elbowed aside by people who can't co-exist with a glorified cold virus. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

You're forgetting that people deciding to voluntarily weld themselves into their house is now society's fault, and Nobody Can Possibly Move On until their irrational needs are met.

Bad news for any mental health practitioner who will see more genuine cases of need being elbowed aside by people who can't co-exist with a glorified cold virus. 

I saw a paper yesterday that said that these immunosuppressed individuals (small in number as they are) are at 2x the risk of developing severe covid than the general population. Only double. 2x a tiny number is still a pretty small number.

Gain some perspective everyone. 

you could solve this clown show by not testing and getting on wi your lives

So your advice if we have an infectious disease is to go and spread it to everyone?

For the record, woke up feeling shit this morning and guess what. After two years, this wee c**t has caught up with me.

45 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The way the media has portrayed the truckers protest in Canada has been absolutely disgraceful, so negative.

They're getting plenty of backing from the right wing media south of the border, along with the likes of Trump and son and Ben Shapiro etc. Not so much from Canadians though.

Edited by welshbairn