Coronavirus (COVID-19)

58 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I know - this was over as a public health emergency in August 2020.  

So much greater success than the experts…

Your classic S(imp)NP go-to of whataboutery when faced with facts is cute, but doesn't alter the reality that, were covid responses viewed in the format of a league table, the good guys of P&B would be in title won by Christmas territory.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To be fair, both Elixir and Bigal have tried to add genuine value to the thread over the last 2 years.

That's considerably more than can be said for you.

Before sneering at others, a bit of self-reflection and self-awareness wouldn't go amiss Whitey.

From a personal perspective, this thread has been very helpful to my sanity. At one point, I felt my wife and myself were the only people that thought the rules and regulations were totally disproportionate to the problem.

To find that there were others thinking along similar lines was just fantastic.

Thanks to you all.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Whether you like it or not, by May 2020 it was crystal clear that covid wasn't going to wipe out millions of people, which was the very real fear just 2 months earlier.

It has, as predicted, targetted almost exclusively just a few types of people - the old, the immuno-compromised and the fatties.

The overwhelming majority of people have either not caught it yet or have suffered nothing more than  a minor inconvenience in terms of feeling a bit shit.

The last 2 years have been about politicians having to be dragged to that understanding.

As a major public health problem, it was definitely over early in 2021 once vaccines were being chucked into arms.

The way our countries have over-reacted to this has been nothing short of economic and social vandalism.

In reality, you were forecasting Armageddon at the start and advocating zero covid in the summer of 2020

Brilliant reverse ferret 😂

:1eye

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

From a personal perspective, this thread has been very helpful to my sanity. At one point, I felt my wife and myself were the only people that thought the rules and regulations were totally disproportionate to the problem.

To find that there were others thinking along similar lines was just fantastic.

Thanks to you all.

You should look back at this thread in the first few months. Any viewpoint other than in favour of strict lockdowns saw your abused and banned. 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Imagine coming across this upset that a bunch of posters on the General Nonsense forum of Pie & Bovril would have navigated the pandemic with greater success than our experts (as highlighted by the success of the decisions made by those reckles toarrrrries when they finally got their finger out).

Hide contents

4a23671e9c45705da281e02d8a96edee0dd19adb

You were actually one of the very few at the start of the pandemic on this thread who had sane views

The reality is that 99% of posters on this thread backed the lockdowns.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:
4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
I got it in February and was still testing positive at Day 10. From discussions with friends this was a fairly common experience.

I was still positive after day 10, caught it late January. Wife was the same.

From memory it was about day 14 before I felt right. Even then it sort of hangs about you. It’s like an annoying but mild cold that just won’t f**k off.

13 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

You should look back at this thread in the first few months. Any viewpoint other than in favour of strict lockdowns saw your abused and banned. 

You'll notice that the mood had turned  decidedly against vaccine passports by the time they were implemented yet in January last year when they were first mooted I posted against them and was given something like 13 red dots including by the likes of VT despite stating that I was not an anti vaxxer 

I never wanted a lockdown, I couldnt understand why all these people were demanding that the government tell them to stay indoors, it was fuckin mental

I've not read the whole thread so can't comment on who said what or when but surely the ability to change your position and point of view as a situation develops is a positive. Sadly our politicians have been stuck in March 2020 mode since March 2020. They have been like a football manager who resolutely refuses to use any of their subs unless its to waste time in injury time. 

My main gripes in no particular order were

1. Rules banning travel within Scotland. You could only be in one place at a time, did it really matter where that one place was? 

2. Closing whole sectors of the economy with no real evidence as to why those and not others. Shutting sport facilites while keeping fast food outlets open during a pandemic when being overweight was a known risk factor still makes no sense. 

3. The whole fear and worry agenda being pushed in your face every day. 

4. The lack of willingness by politicians to put out the message that people die, always have and always will. Keeping a few alive from death by Covid will have led to death by other means for many, many more. 

5. Still waiting on the First Minister to give is one of the promised adult conversations. Being told what you can and can't do and don't dare ask any questions doesn't seem very adult. 

46 minutes ago, ddfg said:

2. Closing whole sectors of the economy with no real evidence as to why those and not others. Shutting sport facilites while keeping fast food outlets open during a pandemic when being overweight was a known risk factor still makes no sense. 

Aye furloughing the fast food industry could have had huge long term positive impacts on health in this country but the government were probably too worried about people who would complain that they will starve unless they can get a pepperoni pizza delivered. 

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

New Zealand courts have removed the country's vaccine mandate as it infringes human fringes. It should be a resigning matter for WEF Young World Leader Adern but she will probably apply the Sturgeon brass neck technique. 

Oh no they haven’t.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/464911/high-court-rules-vaccine-mandates-justified-for-doctors-teachers

4 hours ago, ddfg said:

I've not read the whole thread so can't comment on who said what or when but surely the ability to change your position and point of view as a situation develops is a positive. Sadly our politicians have been stuck in March 2020 mode since March 2020. They have been like a football manager who resolutely refuses to use any of their subs unless its to waste time in injury time. 

My main gripes in no particular order were

1. Rules banning travel within Scotland. You could only be in one place at a time, did it really matter where that one place was? 

3. The whole fear and worry agenda being pushed in your face every day. 

4. The lack of willingness by politicians to put out the message that people die, always have and always will. Keeping a few alive from death by Covid will have led to death by other means for many, many more. 

5. Still waiting on the First Minister to give is one of the promised adult conversations. Being told what you can and can't do and don't dare ask any questions doesn't seem very adult. 

For me it was the total focus on covid to the exclusion of all other factors and the refusal to look at evidence and balance risk.

We’ve known for ages that the risk outdoors is very, very low and yet for large periods it was illegal to go for a walk with 2 mates outside, travel for a bike ride outside your council area or have a pint in a beer garden.

The focus was on encouraging mass panic and fear rather than taking a balanced approach.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The Diet SAGE mob who have endorsed China should consider themselves lucky they're not before a judge. Vile c**ts who were always destined to be on the wrong side of history.