Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I didn’t realise that lateral flows are all but stopped in Scotland. I thought the SG had said they would continue to provide them regardless of what the UKG did. Pharmacies no longer stock them, and you can’t order online, so testing is back to having to go to a test centre if you have symptoms I assume.
Feel a bit shite today so was going to get some tests but as I’m literally not able to I’ll just have to treat it like any normal cold.
I don't know about other sectors but you can still get them in schools.

If I didn't post on P&B I would never have heard of either Devi or Deepti.
At the beginning of Covid, Devi seemed to have a daily slot on GMB. I've seen less of Deepti but she pops up on Channel 4 news every now and then to spout her nonsense.

I'm quite passive when it comes to Covid these days but at the height of the pandemic / my seeth, Devi blocked me on Twitter after I dared question one of her many nonsensical tweets.

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
I didn’t realise that lateral flows are all but stopped in Scotland. I thought the SG had said they would continue to provide them regardless of what the UKG did. Pharmacies no longer stock them, and you can’t order online, so testing is back to having to go to a test centre if you have symptoms I assume.
Feel a bit shite today so was going to get some tests but as I’m literally not able to I’ll just have to treat it like any normal cold.

I don't know about other sectors but you can still get them in schools.

And I ordered some online yesterday and they arrived today. I don't have enough to last until my day 10 and I was hoping for early relaise.

27 minutes ago, RH33 said:

And I ordered some online yesterday and they arrived today. I don't have enough to last until my day 10 and I was hoping for early relaise.

Looks like you can't order the free ones online anymore. If they've run out in local collection points too you can buy them at £1.89 a pop, prices may vary..

https://lloydspharmacy.com/products/lateral-flow-test-kit-non-travel?variant=39626459414591

P.S. Given what they were charging for travel tests I thought they'd really be ripping the pish on this, seems not.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Looks like you can't order the free ones online anymore. If they've run out in local collection points too you can buy them at £1.89 a pop, prices may vary..

https://lloydspharmacy.com/products/lateral-flow-test-kit-non-travel?variant=39626459414591

I couldn't order them last Friday but managed to yesterday

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

As for Deepti's personal attacks on Devi, I think we've come to expect this from another thoroughly discredited scientist. A day or so back, Deepti was trying  to claim in a series of defensive tweets that her own emotional volatility and outbursts were somehow a character strength and symptomatic of someone who cares and that the world would be a better place if only we could encourage these sorts of emotional outbursts from others.

The 'advocating for a better culture in academia' line in her Twitter bio makes me laugh everytime. Apparently this is best demonstrated by a series of personal attacks on people who disagree with her. The JCVI in particular have been the subject of some pretty nasty unpleasantness and, being a Government advisory, don't really have the the ability to respond robustly. 

I felt sorry for her initially as she is seemingly clinically vulnerable and is obviously worried, but it's clear that it's gone beyond clouding her judgement. She is just an unpleasant person and it shows. 

Fake sage has generally gone with her and Pagel throughout as the front runners, although occasionally Reicher or Michie (who are both on actual SAGE) pop up also. Not sure what level of influence Gurdasani has had on the latter two, but it seems the government won't be listening to them any more at any rate, so her message continues to circulate amongst only the most deranged #fbpe accounts. 

Would implore people to look around them: these people are thankfully an increasingly small minority. 

6 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The nonsense of "Covid above all else" continues as the local fire crew in Braemar were unable to fight a very serious fire the other week due to Covid cases.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen-aberdeenshire/4091045/braemar-fire-crew-was-grounded-with-covid-during-horror-hotel-inferno/

Luckily no one was injured or killed in the fire. Surely in these situations though tackling a potentially dangerous fire should take precedence over having to isolate due to what is a mild illness for the vast majority of people.

Good Lord.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I was in Preston last weekend for a couple of nights and didn’t see a single mask, screen or anything covid related the entire time. Clearly it must be the type of places you and I go are very different.

The card only legacy is one I’m all aboard for!

Billy Jean King has been borderline 'things will never be normal ever again' throughout, tbf. Was he not musing that nuclear war is likely in the Ukraine thread? Seems like a total catastrophising bed wetter.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

And regarding Deepti, her views on masking are very clear.

She wants them to be mandatory and permanent until there is a cure for both covid and long covid..

And by mask, she doesn't mean fabric or surgical. She means properly sealed FFP3 masks.

Apparently her opinion has now morphed into "an inconvenient truth".

She is absolutely not alone in this opinion. There are very influential scientists who hold the same view.

We are paying these lunatics from the tax system.

It's a shame Deepti's minority of psychos lost and lost badly. Not that it was ever a surprise.

It's a shame Deepti's minority of psychos lost and lost badly. Not that it was ever a surprise.
Your confusing me with someone else re nuclear war and as for my posts re England I was pointing out that in the main it is well ahead of here. Like it or loathe it you are going to continue to see people masking long after the legal requirements end. It might not be more than say 5% but let's be honest pre Covid you could have walked round Glasgow all week and never seen one. I use the mask example as that will be the most visible one. Why that would bother non mask wearers is baffling to me, live and let live.

one of those twitter replies

NOT the normalisation of death & let's pretend it's normal

DEATH IS COMPLETELY FUCKING NORMAL YOU STUPID c***s ! IT'S THE MOST COMPLETELY FUCKING NORMAL THING THAT EVER HAPPENED. IT WILL HAPPEN TO LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF US INCLUDING YOU , YOU STUPID FUCKING c***s  

Wales is to press ahead with scrapping self-isolation rules and the legal requirement to wear a mask in shops, buses and trains on Monday.

In response to rising cases, driven by a sub-type of Omicron, the Welsh government said it would keep some, but not all, of its remaining Covid rules.

Companies will still be expected to asses the risk of Covid in their workplaces and take precautions.

But face coverings will only be legally required in health and social care.

All of Wales' coronavirus regulations were due to expire on 28 March.

The Welsh government had planned to let them lapse but earlier this week ministers said they were thinking again.

What remains of the law will be extended for at least a further three weeks, with another review due on 14 April.

PCR tests for the general public will no longer be available from Monday, although the Welsh government plans to keep lateral flow tests free for people with symptoms until June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60863358

SG have to end this mask rule a week on Monday now. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Your confusing me with someone else re nuclear war and as for my posts re England I was pointing out that in the main it is well ahead of here. Like it or loathe it you are going to continue to see people masking long after the legal requirements end. It might not be more than say 5% but let's be honest pre Covid you could have walked round Glasgow all week and never seen one. I use the mask example as that will be the most visible one. Why that would bother non mask wearers is baffling to me, live and let live.

It’s not really about “live and let live though” is it? Nobody is saying they shouldn’t have the choice to mask up if they want.

People are and will be free to wear them, in the same way they’re free to wear hazmat suits or full beekeeper clobber if that’s what they want to do. Nobody is stopping them, but equally others have the right to question the logic.

My issue is that encouraging ongoing mask usage is an abdication of responsibility from ScotGov - they can’t get the messaging around managing risk right given high case numbers but low ICU etc, so masks fill that gap nicely - and because “personal responsibility” probably sounds too Tory or something.

Edited by anotherchance

It’s not really about “live and let live though” is it? Nobody is saying they shouldn’t have the choice to mask up if they want.
People are and will be free to wear them, in the same way they’re free to wear hazmat suits or full beekeeper clobber if that’s what they want to do. Nobody is stopping them, but equally others have the right to question the logic.
My issue is that encouraging ongoing mask usage is an abdication of responsibility from ScotGov - they can’t get the messaging around managing risk right given high case numbers but low ICU etc, so masks fill that gap nicely - and because “personal responsibility” probably sounds too Tory or something.
I'm 100% advocating personal choice / responsibility but that doesn't come with the caveat to question, sneer at or even get in a froth at those that will undoubtedly continue to wear masks or take any other precautions regardless of their reasons for doing so.

In my eyes anyone that continues to lose their shit at someone continuing to take precautions after the legal requirement to do so has been lifted are suffering lasting effects of this whole escapade as much as those who they will be piss boiling towards. It would be bizarre behaviour.

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Wales is to press ahead with scrapping self-isolation rules and the legal requirement to wear a mask in shops, buses and trains on Monday.

In response to rising cases, driven by a sub-type of Omicron, the Welsh government said it would keep some, but not all, of its remaining Covid rules.

Companies will still be expected to asses the risk of Covid in their workplaces and take precautions.

But face coverings will only be legally required in health and social care.

All of Wales' coronavirus regulations were due to expire on 28 March.

The Welsh government had planned to let them lapse but earlier this week ministers said they were thinking again.

What remains of the law will be extended for at least a further three weeks, with another review due on 14 April.

PCR tests for the general public will no longer be available from Monday, although the Welsh government plans to keep lateral flow tests free for people with symptoms until June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60863358

SG have to end this mask rule a week on Monday now. 

Not really a surprise Welsh Labour are giving up on the charade given their counterparts in London have clearly gotten bored with it since the war in Ukraine started - after trying to score political points with it in the month or so around when they were getting dropped there.

42 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I'm 100% advocating personal choice / responsibility but that doesn't come with the caveat to question, sneer at or even get in a froth at those that will undoubtedly continue to wear masks or take any other precautions regardless of their reasons for doing so.

In my eyes anyone that continues to lose their shit at someone continuing to take precautions after the legal requirement to do so has been lifted are suffering lasting effects of this whole escapade as much as those who they will be piss boiling towards. It would be bizarre behaviour.

'Precautions' that are pure pantomime? That merely serve as a reminder of the shit times for the rest of us? Nah, they can rightly be denounced for their clownery.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Will those people be wearing the protective goggles and other full PPE that are needed for an effective  'precaution'? If not, then it's just for show really.

A show that often involves them growling at/running away from the infectious scum around them. 

Meanwhile, in that place the Gurdasani's and Pagel's of this world would happily have the entire planet conforming to:

Just if a reminder was needed that these people are genuine nutters, and any of their 'advice' can be regarded as such.

14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

If I see anyone wearing those hilarious face screens again, I'm of the mind to stop and simply point and laugh incredibly loudly. 

I'm more sanguine about it. People can wear whatever they like - they could be in a scuba outfit if they wanted. 

It's the sense that some people are trying to guilt or shame people into following their lead in masking up that bothers me. 

I'm more sanguine about it. People can wear whatever they like - they could be in a scuba outfit if they wanted. 
It's the sense that some people are trying to guilt or shame people into following their lead in masking up that bothers me. 
This is it. Live and let live and all that but it has to work both ways.

That's perfectly fair if someone calls a non mask wearer out for not wearing one but if they are quietly going about their business and not interfering in mine then it's fine by me.

If masks end as hoped a week on Monday I will be done in this thread. It will be officially over and life will go on to the latest crisis. I for one will stop caring right there and then what anyone else is doing Covid wise. Might as well move it to PnB Gold.