Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This is a really petty point to make.
Tl, dr

'I don't know what or who by, but something must be done'

The old boy mentioned in the quote at the top has decided to do something proactive but a lot of us prefer to sit and have a pop at everything and everyone on the internet.

Some of your posts astound me.  

However well intentioned this old guy is his actions don’t help, they provide a distraction and a deflection from the issue of NHS funding.

The problem, seeing as you're having a hard time putting your finger on it, is the old boy has raised about as much money as the Duke of Westminster has donated when if his inheritance was not in a trust he would have paid several billion pounds of tax.
My point is that folk tend to reduce very complex issues down to simple soundbites because they've not read enough of the detail. Anyone that thinks this crisis would have been easy to handle for any government should be automatically ignored. Yes some big mistakes have been made, and i certainly don't think the right people are in charge, but the idea that any of this is easily fixed is absolutely ridiculous. But we're all fucking experts on social media and sites like this.

I'm still not sure what point you're making. I would love to see any government crack down properly on tax avoidance. But that's not an issue that relates directly to the handling of this crisis. It's a wider political point that never gets enough oxygen in the media or with the public.

But the old boy has done something pretty fucking impressive. Yes it's being over-covered but don't blame him for that.

Some of your posts astound me.  

However well intentioned this old guy is his actions don’t help, they provide a distraction and a deflection from the issue of NHS funding.
Don't be so fucking ridiculous.

Of course the effectiveness of the money will depend on exactly how he donated it (locally, or with clear stipulations).

Then there's the very important point that a lot of people want (and actually need) a sign of positivity on the news just to break up the constant stream of graphs and death figures.

The idea that this hinders things is tinfoil hat stuff. I suppose he's part of some big tory conspiracy.

42 minutes ago, bendan said:

Scotland's tinpot death reporting continues:

9 Apr - 81

10 Apr - 48

11 Apr - 47

12 Apr - 24

13 Apr - 9

14 Apr - 40

15 Apr - 84

Does any other country compare?

It doesn't matter too much in itself, but if we are to relax the lockdown, we'll need a serious number of people doing testing, tracing and (managing) isolating. No indication at all that we have the capability to do that.

What has happened here? Is that 84 yesterday the actual number from the previous 24 hours, plus a backlog from the holiday weekend?

If that is the case either 84 is a very good sign, or there must still be some to be added on.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This is a really petty point to make.
Tl, dr

'I don't know what or who by, but something must be done'

The old boy mentioned in the quote at the top has decided to do something proactive but a lot of us prefer to sit and have a pop at everything and everyone on the internet.

That's great and nobody should be sneering at him , however that's not really the point.

The point is that It's a national bloody disgrace that our Health service has and is seen as an inconvenience by many and the whole point is that a country such as the UK should NOT need to rely on an old bloke pushing 100 to try and raise money for a state owned and run institution.

Let's be clear, we're spending upwards of £100 Billion (potentially up to £200 Billion) on a ridiculous rail link that isn't required and which will only serve a very small percentage of the country, which ironically, is already the best served area of the country.

The country is a joke.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Don't be so fucking ridiculous.

Of course the effectiveness of the money will depend on exactly how he donated it (locally, or with clear stipulations).

Then there's the very important point that a lot of people want (and actually need) a sign of positivity on the news just to break up the constant stream of graphs and death figures.

The idea that this hinders things is tinfoil hat stuff. I suppose he's part of some big tory conspiracy.

It’s not a Tory conspiracy but it’s a headline on every media outlet when the real headlines should be about NHS underfunding and how the Tories and DUP voted against a pay rise for nurses in 2017.

I sometimes think blissful naivety is the worst enemy of progress.

17 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

yeah - don't you think it'd be better if the electorate had a choice of two viable potential governments rather than feeling coerced in to voting for one party against their collective conscience simply because the other are so limited ?

utopian maybe, but bi-partisanship works for everyone's benefit if there's a sensible opposition in place to challenge the incumbents, rather than allowing them to coast along unchallenged and pretty much do as they please on a whim, safe in the knowledge that they'll be returned again at the next election

anyway - politics forum for this pish - apologies for going off piste...

Are you a little Englander?

You cannae think of another option?

And you’re the numpty who posted this in the virus forum

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What has happened here? Is that 84 yesterday the actual number from the previous 24 hours, plus a backlog from the holiday weekend?

If that is the case either 84 is a very good sign, or there must still be some to be added on.

I don't think the numbers have ever been the actual number of deaths in the last 24 hours. Like confirmed cases (where test results can take days to come through) it seems to be about the point at which they are counted, which is subject to the staffing levels and working hours of those doing the counting. There was also a big drop in test results confirmed (fell to a low of 699) over the weekend, and in fact we are generally not testing any more than we did  two weeks ago (about 1100 to 1200 a day).

I think the only thing we can know from the figures is that Scotland does not, even in a national emergency, have the capability to test and report in a timely and accurate manner.

Edit to add: Best stats seem to be coming from the ambulance service - number of covid-suspected patients taken to hospital by ambulance is down to about 260 on Apr 14 from a peak of over 400.

Edited by bendan

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If this strain had a 100% death rate would the world have been organised enough to build an underground shelter and select some people to be put in there? How would they decide who to send and how many would need to to ensure a wide enough gene pool?

1455950491444.jpg.36ea393a5ce3d59448acb166669dff17.jpg

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

I don't think the numbers have ever been the actual number of deaths in the last 24 hours. Like confirmed cases (where test results can take days to come through) it seems to be about the point at which they are counted, which is subject to the staffing levels and working hours of those doing the counting. There was also a big drop in test results confirmed (fell to a low of 699) over the weekend, and in fact we are generally not testing any more than we did  two weeks ago (about 1100 to 1200 a day).

I think the only thing we can know from the figures is that Scotland does not, even in a national emergency, have the capability to test and report in a timely and accurate manner.

Edit to add: Best stats seem to be coming from the ambulance service - number of covid-suspected patients taken to hospital by ambulance is down to about 260 on Apr 14 from a peak of over 400.

The deaths are reported as they were recorded as opposed to when the person physically stopped breathing and I'd say this is the only way you can report it.

Previously the registry office only opened 5 days, however this has now changed to 7 so the figures should now be more accurate, however there was an Easter holiday which quite obviously skewed the figures, not just here I may add, but throughout both the UK and Europe.

Incidentally, Scotland's reporting appears to me to be streets ahead of England's as we're providing figures for the care home deaths, home deaths and a complete breakdown and explanation of these figures as per the report released yesterday.

That's great and nobody should be sneering at him , however that's not really the point.
The point is that It's a national bloody disgrace that our Health service has and is seen as an inconvenience by many and the whole point is that a country such as the UK should NOT need to rely on an old bloke pushing 100 to try and raise money for a state owned and run institution.
Let's be clear, we're spending upwards of £100 Billion (potentially up to £200 Billion) on a ridiculous rail link that isn't required and which will only serve a very small percentage of the country, which ironically, is already the best served area of the country.
The country is a joke.
The nhs does not rely on this money, that's just not true.

He started out to raise 1000 quid and it went viral.

The news is covering it because folk need to feel a bit of positivity in amongst the gloom. A lot of folk still get the vast majority of their news from the traditional methods. Now that's not a healthy state of affairs in terms of media ownership in this country but to suggest it's a big plot to distract is just ludicrous. It's a positive human interest story at a time of crisis.

And again you've ended with an empty platitude, the very definition of daily mail thinking - "this country is a joke".

I guarantee you'd be saying exactly the same no matter which country you lived in.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You have a soft spot for this keep calm and carry on birthday caird pish so you'll always defend it as lifting the nation's spirits, maybe it does for some. For other's it's no different to stuff like smiling tories or liberal democrats being pictured opening a food bank.

It also plays into a wartime blitz spirit narrative that is very definitely being pushed by the media because it implies rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in is praiseworthy while criticising shortcomings is a cowardly moral failing. I somehow doubt if this old boy had a beard and wore a shalwar he'd get so many headlines. It appeals to a certain kind of person (you're not one of them) who really needs to have the wider issues about funding and governance thrust under their noses. Too bad they'll just be clicking like on facebook and moving on.

Yes, it's like being asked to donate to the Department of Trade and Industry or the Department of Transport to assist with the construction of HS2. Would people think this is a good cause ?? 

I doubt it, but there's really no difference.

Who knows, maybe the old boy could try that as his next project ??

It’s not a Tory conspiracy but it’s a headline on every media outlet when the real headlines should be about NHS underfunding and how the Tories and DUP voted against a pay rise for nurses in 2017.
I sometimes think blissful naivety is the worst enemy of progress.
I completely agree with you about the lack of a decent media in this country. The right have always had a firm grip.

But this is undoubtedly a national crisis and sitting back with a 'i told you so' attitude is a pretty shite approach to take. A lot of folk are genuinely worried and struggling and are trying to get used to unprecedented circumstances.

This thread is a mixture of lovely nurses pics, some brilliant articles, some very good posts made by folk who know the detail and keep folk right (see the most recent post by brendan), and posts that just moan about everything or everyone.

It's these last ones that annoy me.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

If you hook any big fish I'll help with the netting.

I’m not even remotely kidding, which UK celebrity is more popular than Piers right now? His haters are coming out and saying fair play to him for his contributions and today he’s given Hancock a proper grilling and asked him what millions of people were wanting asked. 

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The nhs does not rely on this money, that's just not true.

He started out to raise 1000 quid and it went viral.

The news is covering it because folk need to feel a bit of positivity in amongst the gloom. A lot of folk still get the vast majority of their news from the traditional methods. Now that's not a healthy state of affairs in terms of media ownership in this country but to suggest it's a big plot to distract is just ludicrous. It's a positive human interest story at a time of crisis.

And again you've ended with an empty platitude, the very definition of daily mail thinking - "this country is a joke".

I guarantee you'd be saying exactly the same no matter which country you lived in.

I don't know where to start with this being honest, but I'll try.

1. They do, because they're underfunded and staff have insufficient equipment including PPE.

2. Feelgood comic style facebook pish for the moronic masses.

3. It IS a joke, but I say that through years of experience of living through various debacles which could and would be avoided in countries with decent Government, such as Germany as an example.

4. I can't answer that, as I DON'T stay in any other country and you most certainly CAN'T guarantee it.