Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Perhaps you are confused by my attempt at levity - it's not actually a big "if", it's an erroneous use of the word. There is absolutely no doubt that there will be further spike.
Also, that last sentence seems to contradict old prof Hugh Pennington.

Now I'm certainly not an expert, and i have no idea whether there will be a second spike, but he's got some pretty good credentials. What are you bringing to the table, other than absolute certainty on a topic you're not that clued up on?

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If we ramp up testing it is inevitable we will have an increase in cases, with or without relaxations.

That doesn't mean we will see a further spike in hospitalisations or deaths.

You appear to have missed the word "recorded" before "cases".

You're not alone in this, but all these graphs do nothing more than reinforce Mark Twain's*  statement about statistics.

I am looking around me day to day, and I am seeing firsthand the effects of our nation's ill-preparedness for this situation*, and their horribly reactive response throughout the crisis. I am also hearing from friends in the NHS who are walking shells, frazzled beyond emotional reponse by the conditions they're working in. I am seeing the shortening of tempers, the paranoia and suspicion in the supermarkets, the lessening of patience with children after weeks of lockdown. I am thankfully not seeing, but am sadly perfectly willing to believe the massive rises in domestic and child abuse. God alone knows the scale of the MH crisis we are building up.

This shitstorm is a long, long way from ending. People are dying, and will continue to die, because the elected Government of this country are absolutely fucking incompetent.

People are dying, and will continue to die, because that Government is beholden, not to the people, but to commercial enterprise.

People are dying, and will continue to die, because this country decided it was a good idea to hand over the care of our most vulnerable people to profiteers.

People are dying, and will continue to die, because they have abdicated their reponsibility to think for themselves and will blindly follow tablooid stories.

People are dying, and will continue to die, because they believe that restrictions and guidelines are for other people.

People, entirely innocent people, are dying and will continue to die depite following all guidelines because of all the above.

Still, good old Boris has another b*****d, the EPL are planning to restart and at least one old fucker made it to 100, eh? Rule fucking Britannia!

*Some disagreements over the origin of the quote, but I like Twain.

23 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

As for the second bolded section - while myriad entities are already tracking your phone at will currently, the idea of selling this kind of State Surveillance to the right-wing electorate will, I feel, be the moment when the lumpenproletariat ditch their Union Jacks and start to kick back. I'm pretty far to the left in my ideals, and the word that came to my mind when this story was followed by a feature on neighbours grassing on neighbours was "Stasi".

There are certainly privacy concerns about contact tracing but it's been effectivein countries like South Korea.  They had this in place due to earlier coronavirus outbreaks so have a headstart on other countries but it's a balance.  Here's a good summary of the system South Korea use

COVID-19 contact tracing system with roots in MERS

What distinguishes the Korean model in controlling COVID-19 is its ability to trace individuals diagnosed with the disease who may have come into contact with the infected individuals. It’s known as the COVID-19 Smart Management System (SMS).

South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) runs the contact tracing system that uses data from 28 organizations such as National Police Agency, The Credit Finance Association, three smartphone companies, and 22 credit card companies to trace the movement of individuals with COVID-19. This system takes 10 minutes to analyze the movement of the infected individuals. For people who come in contact with an infected person, the KCDC informs the local public health center near the infected citizen’s residence and the health center sends the notification to them. If they test positive, they are hospitalized at the COVID-19 special facilities. Those without symptoms are asked to remain self-quarantined for 14 days.

The legal basis for accessing such personal information was prepared after the 2015 MERS outbreak when the government learned that tracing the movement of infected individuals and people who came in contact with them is crucial. As a safety measure, only epidemic investigators at KCDC can access the location information and once the COVID-19 outbreak is over, the personal information used for the contact tracing will be purged.

31 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
1m is not 2m.

Thanks for that Pythagoras.

In any enclosed space trying to stay 2m apart as opposed to 1m is significantly more difficult.  Particularly if that enclosed area has some seating that is fixed as opposed to moveable.

On a wider note, it’s interesting to note that for some posters the main objective in these troubled times is still to be as cuntish and contrary as they normally are.

It says a great deal about their lack of maturity

(I don’t mean you DiegoDiego).

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree. It will be a natural progression, however, if there are no spikes in hospital admissions and deaths.

I know it's pretty pessimistic, but I can't see any situation where there won't be a spike in admissions and deaths. Nothing has really changed from before this half arsed lockdown, so I can't see why it would be different now. 

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So you're against face masks and testing, tracing and isolation. What are you in favour of, indefinite lockdown?

I wear a mask whenever I am out and about - it protects the environment from me, not the other way round. I'm absolutely aware of the importance of increased handwahing, sanitisation and increased cleaning standards at home and work. Isolation is a recognised medical answer to myriad problems rlating to infections. Am I in favour of these? Of course not, but we're in the middle of a pandemic.

I'm absolutely in favour of using technology to track and trace. I have major concerns with the State having unfettered access to personal data. The current Government has said and done nothing to assuage these concerns, although they have totally missed the fucking boat on this procedure.

I'm not in favour of carrying on indefinitely as we are, but the lockdown has, once implemented, displayed areas where it is overreactive and areas where more control is needed. It should be a "live" and therefore constantly changing regime.

A test for having had the virus remains the one thing* which will safely allow an overall slackening of the lockdown, and some kind of phased return to normality. The current testing is, when you factor in the media noise around it and the misplaced public perception of their function, worse than useless - even if we test two hundred thousand a day.

* Ithink we can agree a safe vaccine is firstly, the thing which will get us back to whatever normal is going to be, and secondly a long way off.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I know it's pretty pessimistic, but I can't see any situation where there won't be a spike in admissions and deaths. Nothing has really changed from before this half arsed lockdown, so I can't see why it would be different now. 

Tragically, there are fewer easy targets for the virus will help.

40 minutes ago, 101 said:

No but a mask and 2m must be a pretty high % of effectiveness. 

Aye, but he's arguing for a mask instead of 2 m distance, not for a mask as well as 2 m distance.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There are certainly privacy concerns about contact tracing but it's been effectivein countries like South Korea.  They had this in place due to earlier coronavirus outbreaks so have a headstart on other countries but it's a balance.  Here's a good summary of the system South Korea use

I quite agree it's an incredibly clever and potentially life-saving operation. The problem isn't, for me, even in my cynical disdain for the GBP's ability to follow advice and guidance, the public's compliance. It is more that we have a totally different society to those of East Asia and any Government would hesitate to implement such measures. I also have concerns ovr their competence to implement t&t in the first place.

45 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Obviously, you're an attention-seeking halfwit and your posts have to be viewed using that filter, but this is juat wrong. Stupid and ill-informed, as we'd expect, but mainly just wrong.

Explain how wearing a mask prevents physical contact? Sure masks have a (greater or lesser) protective function, but they're not Superhero capes.

As for the second bolded section - while myriad entities are already tracking your phone at will currently, the idea of selling this kind of State Surveillance to the right-wing electorate will, I feel, be the moment when the lumpenproletariat ditch their Union Jacks and start to kick back. I'm pretty far to the left in my ideals, and the word that came to my mind when this story was followed by a feature on neighbours grassing on neighbours was "Stasi".

Covid isn't spread to any significant degree by 'physical contact': it's spread by airborne particles from the airways. The whole point of social distancing is to reduce - not eliminate - the risk of said particles travelling from one person to another by maintaining a minimum distance. An effective face covering/mask achieves the exact same goal at source by trapping the particles (more specifically, the large water droplets)  that everybody sprays out just by breathing and speaking never mind coughing.  It is both an alternative to and better solution than social distancing, which involves far higher costs to the economy and society for an indefinite period of time. 

As for your second point, nobody should be obliged to share their personal data and location for the sake of controlling the epidemic. But if you want to access a much broader range of public services, amenities and travel than are available now then that is the quid pro quo you should have to accept until the epidemic is eliminated. A combination of these two measures is the only sane way out of this mess.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Japan's problem will be that they never allowed a first spike in the first place.

Locking down too early and then relaxing without eradicating delays the inevitable rather than preventing it.

Japan didn't start a partial lockdown until the 7 April. Even then it was to allay strain on it's health care systems in certain areas.

Like Sweden they wouldn't be able to enforce a 'China' like hard core lockdown due to its constitution.

Japan declares state of emergency over coronavirus Japanese leader Shinzo Abe announces month of restrictions and unveils record stimulus package