Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Westminster is paying furlough salaries using a mechanism called the Ways and Means account with the BoE which effectively enables them to  print as much GBP as they require (it is supposed to be short term only but that may change).
Indy Scotland wouldn't be able to do that and would need to borrow from the bond markets at high interest rates before paying out furlough beyond the GBP they were holding. 
Edit - if the Growth Commision plan was implemented.
What do countries like, say, Denmark and Slovenia do, putting aside that their responses were more politically astute than that of UK ?

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What do countries like, say, Denmark and Slovenia do, putting aside that their responses were more politically astute than that of UK ?

The Danes have their own currency because they are smart.

Slovenia has had some harsh austerity over the past few years. I've no idea how they are funding their crisis response but you can't compare being in the EZ to using Sterling. 

41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Westminster is paying furlough salaries using a mechanism called the Ways and Means account with the BoE which effectively enables them to  print as much GBP as they require (it is supposed to be short term only but that may change).

Indy Scotland wouldn't be able to do that and would need to borrow from the bond markets at high interest rates before paying out furlough beyond the GBP they were holding. 

Edit - if the Growth Commision plan was implemented.

Tbf was Scotland's plan not to use Sterling initially and then set up it's own currency and central bank?

Whether that could have been achieved in 5 years is a different question

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Furlough scheme plus plummeting oil prices. I'm pro independence but that looks like a nightmare for us if we had went alone tbf.

That’s bollocks.  I have the Detourment guy on ignore because of the sort of pish he continually posts.  It’s a pity I have to read it when folk rise to the bait.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s bollocks.  I have the Detourment guy on ignore because of the sort of pish he continually posts.  It’s a pity I have to read it when folk rise to the bait.

I can’t work out how to put someone on ignore. Not that there’s many but couple long winded ones I’d like too.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The photographer who was snapping Starmer has clarified that he was talking about getting across the road for something.

Anyway, I’ve found the cure on Serb TV

IMG_1009.jpg

Just a historical note- the Serb Army retreated from the Austrians in 1915 through Albania and a f*ck of a lot of them died of disease on the journey (the current temporary hospital in Glasgow is named after a nurse who went out to Serbia to help at the time). So the batshit professor here seems to be claiming some kind of genetic herd immunity passed down to descendants. 

"Seems legit"- D. Cummings

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

I can’t work out how to put someone on ignore. Not that there’s many but couple long winded ones I’d like too.

If you click on your own avatar/user name and go into ‘ignored users’ under settings it’s easy to follow.

This will probably be the last post you see from me.

23 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Well I got letter through my door today. Apparently on my street we are doing a street bubble blowing for the medical workers tomorrow.

Well this is happening. There is pretty much a street party going on. Some c**t is on stilts.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
11 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:
Well this is happening. There is pretty much a street party going on. Some c**t is on stilts.

Please be in tomorrow's news for killing this c**t.

I was tempted to take him down with my bicycle but I would have had take out a couple of small children with him

14 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

There's some c**t on stilts at the street party round the corner from me. I think it's a birthday party, but no-one seems to mind because of all the fucking VE day parties that are going on. Have i missed an announcement? 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There's some c**t on stilts at the street party round the corner from me. I think it's a birthday party, but no-one seems to mind because of all the fucking VE day parties that are going on. Have i missed an announcement? 

Maybe, I should get my Union Jack out and let these European fucks know who won the fucking the war

13 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Maybe, I should get my Union Jack out and let these European fucks know who won the fucking the war

Are you the guy in Belgium? Remind them what Farage said about them not being a proper country too. 

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
12 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

In that case you'd better not forget a Soviet flag.

Is a North Korean flag an acceptable substitute?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If you click on your own avatar/user name and go into ‘ignored users’ under settings it’s easy to follow.

This will probably be the last post you see from me.

I find you fairly inoffensive!