Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I think I’m going to stop watching the news and reading the paper. There’s just so much negativity and doom and gloom. I read today that a vaccine may never be found, so what have we to do? All stay at home and never leave our town/city? I also read that they may “scrap” the upcoming football season. There is nothing to look forward to at all, no gigs or sports or going to a restaurant for a relaxing meal. Will none of this ever happen again unless a vaccine is found? If so then it’s not a world I want to “live” in 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's generally how daily averages over a year work.

I said weeks ago a 10% increase was acceptable. If we didn't have a single newsworthy cause, a 10% increase wouldn't raise many eyebrows.

On a day to day basis that is  about166 per day in Scotland up from the usual 151.

It's not about making it look small. It's about being realistic. The headline making death numbers will take place over around 6-8 weeks of the year as a whole. The economic impact of shutting everything down will resonate for years.

Both the Scottish and UK governments have had plenty time to work on finding a way out. It's time to start putting those ways out in motion.

All that totally ignores what would have happened without the lockdown measures, in my area 7 or 8 ICU beds were occupied out of 11 in hospitals, what would have happened if we had left it until 15 or 20 needed those beds just for covid 19, that would have been disastrous.

Without being too political about it, we were not set up for a full blown herd immunity approach in Scotland and our method of funding pretty much tied Sturgeon' hands to a fair degree. 

20 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

What number of excess deaths per day is acceptable to you in a UK or Scotland only context without spreading them out over a year or whichever time unit you require to make it look small? 

Isn't this really the 'adult conversation' we were supposed to be having but has yet to happen.

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think I’m going to stop watching the news and reading the paper. There’s just so much negativity and doom and gloom. I read today that a vaccine may never be found, so what have we to do? All stay at home and never leave our town/city? I also read that they may “scrap” the upcoming football season. There is nothing to look forward to at all, no gigs or sports or going to a restaurant for a relaxing meal. Will none of this ever happen again unless a vaccine is found? If so then it’s not a world I want to “live” in 

We'll be left to decide for ourselves what risks we're willing to take if no vaccine is imminent, don't think the social distancing will totally disappear for a while either way. 

The news compete with each other and try to sensationalise everything. It's bad but will get better.
Theres a massive scientific effort to help with this, would be surprised if there isn't a breakthrough in the next few months or year.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The news compete with each other and try to sensationalise everything. It's bad but will get better.
Theres a massive scientific effort to help with this, would be surprised if there isn't a breakthrough in the next few months or year.

A year is a long time when you have depression and have nothing on the horizon to look forward to, or even work to go to. You’re right about the news trying to sensationalise everything. The only time they have something “positive” to say isn’t when it’s something sickly sweet like Tom Moore, or some kid cycling round the block to raise money, or nurses doing women tik tok dance 

The Centre for Evidence Based Medicine produce good breakdowns for Covid deaths by actual day of death for England. Seems to show overall deaths leaked on April 8th. Sadly they don’t seem to do it for Scotland, not sure anywhere does similar?

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-death-data-in-england-update-13th-may/

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s great news. Hopefully we can get hair cuts here asap. Mines is long overdue 

I am sure you would enjoy this aspect of it: "In the meantime, they are looking into alternative solutions, such as attaching the mask to the jaws of clients with tape"

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/health/111618/new-coronavirus-may-never-go-away-who-warns/

8 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I am sure you would enjoy this aspect of it: "In the meantime, they are looking into alternative solutions, such as attaching the mask to the jaws of clients with tape"

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/health/111618/new-coronavirus-may-never-go-away-who-warns/

Jeez. Things like that, and also the thought of what restaurants will be like make the “future” sound like a very horrible horrible place. Not pleasurable at all 

Did it rise above 1? Yes, for about two days. You can see here how it's bounced around between about 0.7 and 1.1 in the 3 and a bit weeks since restrictions were eased.
The point is most uk media are reporting Germany's easing to have been a disatrous mistake which has seen cases soar. When that isn't the truth.
I don't know why they feel they need to do this.
20200513_185625.thumb.jpg.ee7b146ace43a410756e98170b172b73.jpg

But you specifically said in this post earlier that it didn't.
It's the same with the media. Ask anyone what had happened to infections in Germany since restrictions were first lifted on April 20th and they'd tell you they'd tripled.
They haven't, they have continued to fall.
Germany being forced to reimplement lockdown measures. It hasn't. In fact it plans to ease more.
R apparantly was back over 1. It isn't.
I can't get my head around this type of reporting. People are obviously glued to news reports to see what's happening elsewhere. Why the need to be sketchy or dishonest with it?
Similar when announcing deaths. They still announce x number have "died in the last 24 hours" rather than mentioning a good chunk were from previous days. Absolutely fine to announce the total being recorded, of course, but why not be open and honest about when the deaths actually occurred?
It's no wonder people are as scared as they are.
You can't complain about the media distorting the facts and then distort them yourself.

25 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

All that totally ignores what would have happened without the lockdown measures, in my area 7 or 8 ICU beds were occupied out of 11 in hospitals, what would have happened if we had left it until 15 or 20 needed those beds just for covid 19, that would have been disastrous.

None of that has anything to do with refusing to lift or change any restrictions weeks after the peak.

The idea that, going forward, any deaths from Covid-19 each day running alongside allowing people to work, rest and play is completely unacceptable is ridiculous.

You aren't saying that, I know, but there are plenty on facebook / twitter etc who are. It's mindblowing.

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I think it would have been carnage if Boris hadn't mentioned social distancing measures on 15th March followed by lockdown a week later, it's easy to sit back and take you're blinkered view now, Scotland had 300 ICU beds at the start, another fortnight or so without intervention would have saw the NHS swamped IMO. 

That was the whole point of lockdown.

Most (nearly all) other countries have had lockdowns, some more stringent than ours. They can't all be wrong.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But you specifically said in this post earlier that it didn't.
You can't complain about the media distorting the facts and then distort them yourself.

I can when they are still pushing articles saying that is above 1, when it has already dropped below again.

Using something that was true for 2 days out of 23 to scare people in the days following BJ easing some restrictions is poor.

It's not me that's distorting the facts in that regard.

34 minutes ago, bendan said:

Isn't this really the 'adult conversation' we were supposed to be having but has yet to happen.

It's too political in UK and Scotland for that, we already had Carlaw making political capital out of the care home situation using very understated UK numbers as back up. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It's too political in UK and Scotland for that, we already had Carlaw making political capital out of the care home situation using very understated UK numbers as back up. 

Why is it that everything other than just doing the same thing is too something for the UK or Scotland?

Not specific to you but It's a lazy argument.

Edited by Todd_is_God

wtf really? Like pretending they live in it for 20 minutes?

When I was selling my house last October, the agent had arranged a viewing for a mother and daughter. She actually told me before hand, that they’re complete time wasters and having been viewing at least one property a week for the past 2 years. If it was up to her, she’d tell them to f**k off but can’t, as they could complain to her superiors.

These idiots literally spend their free time wandering about other people’s houses.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You might be surprised how little that particular stretch of road has changed.

People like their holidays and might be willing to spend significantly more than they do at  present.

The problem with that is that if people decided foreign holidays are a bigger priority than, say, an extension that spells bad news for the domestic economy my business.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why is it that everything other than just doing the same thing is too something for the UK or Scotland?

Not specific to you but It's a lazy argument.

We can only skirt about the edges whilst our funding comes from Westminster, be great if all 4 nations could go their separate ways on this if they wished but they can't. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

On a tangent, those holidays are the absolute pits.

Did one a few years ago and never again. Cattle being herded through meal times then left to just get drunk by the pool until eventually shipped back to their UK hovels.

We used to go all inclusive to Benidorm. Thoroughly enjoyed it.