Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I noticed that royal ascot was a pretty major event that took place on Saturday (derby day) - perfect timing for the great and good to enjoy their champagne.

I wonder if that played a part in the choice of date. It goes without saying that certain industries and events have more clout than others with the highest decision makers in the land.

What a completely clueless post.

There was no "Royal Ascot' last Saturday. Ascot is a 5 day event that takes place in June. You appear to have confused yourself with the great day known as Derby day which is always on a saturday. Don't make comments or even further worse have the idiocy to make bs claims on areas you nothing about. 

36 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't actually see what's wrong with criticising care homes. Yes it's only a piece of the puzzle and the delay to lockdown was probably the major reason we had such a terrible response compared to elsewhere but covid or no covid improving the terms of that workforce so they get something as basic as sick pay should be an outcome of this.

It didn't help that care staff were getting shifts across different homes to cover for staff shortages.

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

There is something slightly fishy about this. 

Person goes to the pub Saturday, feels ropy Sunday manages to get tested on Sunday, results on Monday and everyone knows by Monday night. 

Is the system really that quick? Great if it is.

I am a bit suspicious that the folk that went out were either ill or were already awaiting a test result. 

9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Person goes to the pub Saturday, feels ropy Sunday manages to get tested on Sunday, results on Monday and everyone knows by Monday night. 

I am a bit suspicious that the folk that went out were either ill or were already awaiting a test result. 

Yes it should be that quick however unlikely that the person got the virus at the pub and providing people kept their distance it's unlikely they infected many people.

Edited by 101

8 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Must have been the case, which doesn't exactly fill you with hope...

"Feel like shit but it's super Saturday innit? Few pints'll sort me right aaht"

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yes it should be that quick however unlikely that the person got the virus at the pub and providing people kept their distance it's unlikely they infected many people.

Missing the narrative there though.

It's an almost exact copy of the "schools forced to close" story ran on 3rd June.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't actually see what's wrong with criticising care homes. Yes it's only a piece of the puzzle and the delay to lockdown was probably the major reason we had such a terrible response compared to elsewhere but covid or no covid improving the terms of that workforce so they get something as basic as sick pay should be an outcome of this.

The Department of Health and NHS England must be thrilled, though - everyone will be laying into Johnson whilst overlooking why the care homes debacle ended up happening. Namely because some genius allowed patients to be discharged straight into them without a Covid test. 

I agree fully that care homes are not blameless here - the sick pay issue was frankly astonishing. I know they are run as a business, but this is basic stuff - make people that aren't paid very much come to work and risk infecting residents, people will die. As well as being morally reprehensible this is rather, erm, bad for business. 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Missing the narrative there though.

It's an almost exact copy of the "schools forced to close" story ran on 3rd June.

I didn't read the story, I have now and the alarming thing is the pubs are doing the ring round England have extremely expensive contractors to do contract tracing why on earth are landlords having to do it. Utterly shameful landlords can't offer a test or further support so it's completely pointless.

Edited by 101

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

I didn't read the story, I have now and the alarming thing is the pubs are doing the ring round England have extremely expensive contractors to do contract tracing why on earth are landlords having to do it. Utterly shameful landlords can't offer a test or further support so it's completely pointless.

I'm not sure they have to do it, or that they are forced to close.

Both read like a choice to do so being made by landlords naturally desperate to keep the good faith between them and their customers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Royal Ascot was a couple of weeks back.

Ahh, my bad.

I watched the Derby (which was mental, btw) - and saw plenty of top hats swigging champagne.
What a completely clueless post.
There was no "Royal Ascot' last Saturday. Ascot is a 5 day event that takes place in June. You appear to have confused yourself with the great day known as Derby day which is always on a saturday. Don't make comments or even further worse have the idiocy to make bs claims on areas you nothing about. 
Bit harsh but fair enough.

I should've been more clear that i wasn't trying to say there definitely was a link. It was more about the fact that some industries and events will have 'the ear' of the government, and some will not - link back to beauty sector claiming sexist for not allowing it to return with pounds). But like i say, i fucked it up.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure they have to do it, or that they are forced to close.

Both read like a choice being made by landlords naturally desperate to keep the good faith between them and their customers.

Unless to government was paying me to do it not a chance I would be doing their job for them.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Ahh, my bad.

I watched the Derby (which was mental, btw) - and saw plenty of top hats swigging champagne.
Bit harsh but fair enough.

There’s no doubt that racing has the ear of government through rich owners. You only need to look at how racing was exempted from any gambling commission review changes.  The top hats you mention will have been the owners who were allowed at the course in a segregated area.

There’s no doubt that racing has the ear of government through rich owners. You only need to look at how racing was exempted from any gambling commission review changes.  The top hats you mention will have been the owners who were allowed at the course in a segregated area.
That's what i thought.

It's obviously not the only reason why Saturday was chosen, but it's important to remember that those kinds of c***s still kick about in modern society - and they'll have great contacts with those in power.

18 minutes ago, 101 said:

Unless to government was paying me to do it not a chance I would be doing their job for them.

To be fair, you don't own a pub that has been closed for 3 months. There's also nothing saying that the test and trace people will not be contacting those impacted. In fact it hints at the opposite. I suspect the landlord is going over and above out of courtesy, nothing more.

Edited by Todd_is_God

That's the bit I didn't get. News this morning interviewed the owners of one of the pubs affected and he said he was in the process of contacting the people who had provided their details on arrival. Why ? That has got to be the work of track and trace staff surely not the pub owners.