Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm struggling to work out what aspect of this entirely reasonable answer caused you to fly off the handle in the first place.

Where did I fly off the handle?

35 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
NS is living in fantasy land if she thinks that people are going to choose an overpriced long weekend in the pishing rain at Loch Lomond over a last minute getaway come September / October

Depends what they are charging - TUI have upped their prices by 30-40%.

Probably owing more to the 20% of your original booking off if you rebook thing they have going on just now for any holidays they have cancelled due to Covid-19 than demand etc.

But these are not 'last minute' prices

49 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It is for me in renfrewshire. Glad that its been normal for yourself!

Drop the wee one round, my three can teach them all their bad habits!

Just now, MixuFruit said:

the handle!

😂

I thought you meant the end of this

"NS is living in fantasy land if she thinks that people are going to choose an overpriced long weekend in the pishing rain at Loch Lomond over a last minute getaway come September / October"

Which I thought was an incredibly low bar for "flying off the handle"

I suspect @craigkillie is confusing me with someone else

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wow you are quite creepy, yes some doctors work in both their practices (ie the times impacted by nursery provision) and in out of hours or in hospices( the shifts shes had to cut down on). Im not after free childcare and never have been.

Its really not 'creepy' to recall information that you provided in an argument on a public forum two hours ago, compare it to your latest story and then discover that you're talking pish. And that garbled explanation above leaves me none the wiser as to what you're actually talking about. 

If there was a council nursery in my town we’d use it, there isn’t.

There's one in the next town over though, so send your sprog there. Problem solved!

You seem to have invented this theory that im looking for summer child care, im not, the nursery we use is open all year, thats the issue, im left without alternatives

You've already shown that you have plenty of alternatives: you just don't think that any of them are ideal for you in terms of cost or convenience. I'm afraid that's just tough. There's a global pandemic going on and the local council does not exist to provide a bespoke service for your needs. 

and Im of the opinion that opening beer gardens and having mass gatherings with no semblance of social distancing flies in the face of the argument that my child cant continue his education in his nursery for apparently the same reasons.

If you find a beer garden that has been opened in Scotland with 'no semblance of social distancing' then you can take it up with your polis colleagues and get it closed down. Given that there's no evidence that they pose a significant risk of infection under the ongoing safety measures, your moralising nonsense about people having a pint while your poor wee sprog 'can't continue his education' (during the summer) can be filed in the bin where it belongs. 

Quite incredulous that you hold the view that people who work arent allowed to have a say or to ability to write to their elected members, simply because they are in your opinion ‘wealthy’, again ive no insight into your own finances but im not ‘wealthy’. Fascinating nonetheless.

You're entitled to write to your elected members but given your complete lack of self-awareness as to what local councils have to prioritise right now - as well as your laughably inflated sense of what you're entitled to from them - it's no surprise to me that you haven't received a satisfactory answer. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂

I thought you meant the end of this

"NS is living in fantasy land if she thinks that people are going to choose an overpriced long weekend in the pishing rain at Loch Lomond over a last minute getaway come September / October"

Which I thought was an incredibly low bar for "flying off the handle"

I suspect @craigkillie is confusing me with someone else

I would agree it's not flying off the handle but it's clear from her actual comments that she didn't "think" people would stick to holidaying here, just that it was her preference. Hence, I don't think she's living in fantasy land over the issue, she'll be well aware that 10 days in Majorca is far more appealing than 2 weeks in Glencoe after the shit show of a year people have put up with but she'd much prefer if people stayed here and contributed to our economy.

Edited by The Moonster

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Its really not 'creepy' to recall information that you provided in an argument on a public forum two hours ago, compare it to your latest story and then discover that you're talking pish. And that garbled explanation above leaves me none the wiser as to what you're actually talking about. 

- wife works in a GP surgery and in out of hours, its two separate jobs, shes had to stop doing the latter but they never impacted on when we needed nursery shifts as they tended to be weekends or evenings, I don't get whats complicated about that for someone who seems to be an expert on everything.

There's one in the next town over though, so send your sprog there. Problem solved!

- its not the next town over.

You've already shown that you have plenty of alternatives: you just don't think that any of them are ideal for you in terms of cost or convenience. I'm afraid that's just tough. There's a global pandemic going on and the local council does not exist to provide a bespoke service for your needs. 

-I'm not asking the council to provide me with anything, i want our nursery to re-open, thus reducing the burden on the council. I've employed someone so again i'm not asking for the council to do anything, their provision wasn't workable, unfortunately both my wife and I have to travel to work and the location of the council provision precludes us from that. I do think that given my explanation that our nursery offered to be a local centre for council provision and was for some unknown reason rejected is fair enough.

If you find a beer garden that has been opened in Scotland with 'no semblance of social distancing' then you can take it up with your polis colleagues and get it closed down. Given that there's no evidence that they pose a significant risk of infection under the ongoing safety measures, your moralising nonsense about people having a pint while your poor wee sprog 'can't continue his education' (during the summer) can be filed in the bin where it belongs. 

You don't think that pubs opening causes a risk of infection? People aren't sticking to the new safety measures. Again you keep bringing this back to some kind of summer childcare thing, its not, its a year round nursery.

You're entitled to write to your elected members but given your complete lack of self-awareness as to what local councils have to prioritise right now - as well as your laughably inflated sense of what you're entitled to from them - it's no surprise to me that you haven't received a satisfactory answer. 

- I know exactly what councils have to prioritise just now, I don't want anything from my council, I dont get what part of that you can't get in your smug little brain?

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

As much as vton is using his usual arsehole style of posting, i think his general point is right in this case.

Interested to know why? My point being i think its shite pubs have opened and my kids nursery isn't allowed to given that the risk involved in either is similar given drunk people and kids seem to have issues with social distancing. I think its fair to suggest  its rubbish that given the council havent allowed our nursery to open due to concerns over social distancing yet my sister in law who is a nursery nurse works in one of the centres in the same council area tells me that social distancing isn't practiced nor enforced in the hubs being provided by the council?

Remember the rules

If what you want is not included in the easing of lockdown its terrible blah blah

If it is incuded everything is fine

Just follow these simple rules to find out why and what they are posting 

Probably owing more to the 20% of your original booking off if you rebook thing they have going on just now for any holidays they have cancelled due to Covid-19 than demand etc.

If that were the case then prices should only have gone up 20% not the 30-40% they have done.

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

- wife works in a GP surgery and in out of hours, its two separate jobs, shes had to stop doing the latter but they never impacted on when we needed nursery shifts as they tended to be weekends or evenings, I don't get whats complicated about that for someone who seems to be an expert on everything.

Except that's not what you said earlier. Here it is again:

The nursery have recognised that the council child care isnt good enough for key workers and offered their premises to open regular hours at a discounted rate for local key workers etc and were refused as Renfrewshire council felt their provision was good enough. As a result we’ve had to hire an out of work nursery worker to look after the wee man, which still means my wife had to cut down on her shifts meaning our income is significantly down too

So either it did have an impact or it did not but you're still absolutely all over the place as to which it is.

Needless to say it's an absolute disgrace that the council didn't take into account those who still want to work three jobs between them when setting up their support for key workers in the face of a global pandemic.

I'm not asking the council to provide me with anything, i want our nursery to re-open, thus reducing the burden on the council. I've employed someone so again i'm not asking for the council to do anything, their provision wasn't workable, unfortunately both my wife and I have to travel to work and the location of the council provision precludes us from that. I do think that given my explanation that our nursery offered to be a local centre for council provision and was for some unknown reason rejected is fair enough.

If the majority of key workers are either i) okay with dropping their kids off at the existing council facilities or ii) simply make alternative arrangements because they're not trying to work three jobs at the same time then why should the council give additional taxpayers' money to your favoured local provider? You already have a range of options available - more than the vast majority of parents in fact - that they don't fit your precise ideal-world scenario is really not the council nor anybody else's problem right now. 

You don't think that pubs opening causes a risk of infection? People aren't sticking to the new safety measures.

You mean the pubs that have been open outside-only in Scotland for 24 hours? That's some sweeping conclusion that you've drawn already. 

I know exactly what councils have to prioritise just now, I don't want anything from my council, I dont get what part of that you can't get in your smug little brain?

So why did you 'make representation' to your SNP council and MSP if you don't want anything from the council? Your mind is just a maze of self-pity and injustice right now.  

Edited by vikingTON

37 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

If that were the case then prices should only have gone up 20% not the 30-40% they have done.

Sorry, it was a poorly worded post.

Except that's not what you said earlier. Here it is again:

So either it did have an impact or it did not but you're still absolutely all over the place as to which it is.

Needless to say it's an absolute disgrace that the council didn't take into account those who still want to work three jobs between them when setting up their support for key workers in the face of a global pandemic.

It's impacted on us financially significantly yes, but that's besides the point. Look i'm not being funny but what the f**k even is it to you? Do you want me to put in a break down of my wife and I's rota's or something? She's had to stop doing out of hours shifts yes. Those shifts don't impact on when we need nursery provision but unfortunately due to us having disabled people we care for then she's doing more of my share of that because i'm having days off cancelled to work more to cover sickness etc in my own job. I'm not even sure you deserve an explanation but for some reason you clearly don't have a grasp on the point I'm making. 

If the majority of key workers are either i) okay with dropping their kids off at the existing council facilities or ii) simply make alternative arrangements because they're not trying to work three jobs at the same time then why should the council give additional taxpayers' money to your favoured local provider? You already have a range of options available - more than the vast majority of parents in fact - that they don't fit your precise ideal-world scenario is really not the council nor anybody else's problem right now. 

Thats great for people who work 10-2 monday to friday, ideal. I don't neither does my wife, yet our nursery which did meet our needs has had to close as i've explained previously. I don't have any additional options open to me, the only singular option i have is to employ a child minder. The councils already pay money to the child care provider, that's the fucking point, they already provide some of the 'free' hours but have had to close in favour of the hubs. 

You mean the pubs that have been open outside-only in Scotland for 24 hours? That's some sweeping conclusion that you've drawn already. 

So why did you 'make representation' to your SNP council and MSP if you don't want anything from the council? Your mind is just a maze of self-pity and injustice right now.  

Maybe I wrote to them to express my dismay at the handling of the pandemic and the lack of logic displayed in closing nurseries and making key workers jobs far more difficult at a time when their jobs are already being made more difficult. 

Look I really don't know what point you're trying to make here, its clearly more personal than an actual point. So i'll summarise my argument, you're welcome as I fully predict you will, to disagree, but you have no insight into my own personal circumstances, financial or occupational besides the very limited information i've provided on here, how that allows you to make any fully formed opinion or position on my circumstances from down your nose is absolutely baffling. 

-nursery closed = bad, no alternative cover provided in 10 miles of my home and only open limited hours which due to shifts and work circumstances isn't of any use to us, location of nursery also significantly out of the way meaning its a no go. No other options as all local nurseries forced to close. Had to employ worker. Don't believe its adequate range of options given my own nursery is willing to open and provide full service but is being prevented from doing so (i'm not looking for freebies just something resembling the service we need). I disagree with the councils position which is that they provide hubs which aren't socially distanced etc when providers are willing to open.

If you have a problem with that then fine, i'm done debating it with you.