Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 total deaths where Covid-19 was listed on the death certificate / -40 excess deaths

As of 1/7 daily hospital admissions were averaging 2.3 per day.

As of 5/7 ICU admissions averaged 0.3 per day.

We presumably shouldn’t be surprised by deaths being lower by 40 than the yearly average for this time of year. Some of these 40 will be in the excess deaths seen earlier in the pandemic.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

We presumably shouldn’t be surprised by deaths being lower by 40 than the yearly average. Some of these 40 will be in the excess deaths seen earlier in the pandemic.

I agree.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are like for that come October - December

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Not really. South East Asia has probably got more long-established and relatively high-standard English-language news sources than many other parts of the world, and those new sources tend to get a big more leeway in what they can report than local-language ones. So, when Googling in English you've got a reasonable chance of finding a story from one.

For example, Malaysian newspapers were loudly banging the airborne stuff that is now being reported in The West quite some time ago based on local scientific studies.

Seems a strange thing to dismiss a report simply because you don't know the context of the paper it appeared in.

I'm gonna have to agree with the general thrust of what you're saying here. I certainly found the Straits Times and S China Post to be pretty informative when I read a few copies of each back in the day.

Far be it from me to suggest the Inverclyde Sage is anything other than entirely fair and unbiased, but dismissing a news source purely because it is based in a far-flung part of the world seems a wee bit prejudiced.

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are like for that come October - December

We might start seeing deaths of people who have failed to get treatment / appointments during lockdown at that point. The numbers are going to be all over the place for a while after this I think, to the extent it'll be tough to work out the cause 

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

We might start seeing deaths of people who have failed to get treatment / appointments during lockdown at that point. The numbers are going to be all over the place for a while after this I think, to the extent it'll be tough to work out the cause 

It may well be tough to work out direct cause in individual cases, but it's the easiest thing in the world to see that a pandemic hitting a completely unprepared population with an underfunded healthcare system was going to have somewhat negative outcomes. 

And we knew this would be the result.

Yes that’s a fair point too. It remains to be seen the extent of that. What is certain is that many who would have died over the next short to medium time period will have already died.

So I imagine all the "nippy" haters on twitter, having spent the week slagging her for taking a week to meekly agree to what the UK govt said re travel are now going to be incandescent about their differing line on spain

The Daily Telegraph: but... but... how will Spanish tourists be able to deal with regulations, when they might not even be able to speak English? Aye 'cos there are fucking thousands of Franco-era Spaniards with zero prior exposure to English who are going to spend their summer holiday in drizzly Glasgow.

B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png  B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:
Text today...

GOV.SCOT We are now able to make further changes to our shielding advice. Today at 12:30, the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport will be giving an update on these changes. These changes will come into effect on Friday 10 July. You can watch live on BBC Scotland or on Twitter @scotgov or you can listen on the BBC Scotland radio station.

A wee teaser rather than just tell you in the text , pish communication.

It's probably too nuanced to put in a sort text message - better for people to hear it explained thoroughly.

It's probably too nuanced to put in a sort text message - better for people to hear it explained thoroughly.

Governments should only have policies that can be explained in emojis.