Coronavirus (COVID-19)

• Nicola Sturgeon says that she will allow gyms and swimming pools to open from 31 August
  • However, Ms Sturgeon says that non-essential office working will not be allowed as it "presents too great a risk at this time"

So if you sit in an office, looks like you're not getting back to work anytime soon! 

Seems it ok to pack people into a gym though, that'll be sweating and coughing near each other.  Think she's got this the wrong way round.

• Nicola Sturgeon says that she will allow gyms and swimming pools to open from 31 August
  • However, Ms Sturgeon says that non-essential office working will not be allowed as it "presents too great a risk at this time"
So if you sit in an office, looks like you're not getting back to work anytime soon! 
Seems it ok to pack people into a gym though, that'll be sweating and coughing near each other.  Think she's got this the wrong way round.

Non-essential office work can be done from home, so there is precisely zero benefit in reintroducing it

3 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

For someone who (normally) works in an office and never goes to the gym I am more than happy with this.

Edited by FuzzyBear

Christ you will be in a minority of 1 with that stance on here, they have been screaming for gyms to reopen for weeks.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18662461.kingspark-school-dundee-school-closes-multiple-cases-covid-19-confirmed/

Kingspark school: Dundee school closes after multiple cases of Covid-19 confirmed

Kingspark School in Dundee is to close for the rest of the week after a rise in the number of coronavirus cases in adults who are connected with the school.
Health bosses confirmed six adults have tested positive, and the school will now undergo a deep clean as a precautionary measure.

OK so we have six adults who all somehow managed to get the virus from somewhere or from the same person?
Either that or there is an unaccounted number of people carrying the virus in the area.
Or maybe they all knew the guy with the puppy.
Allegedly they were all on a night out together.

As someone who works in an office and regularly goes to the gym it makes perfect sense to me.

I can do pretty much every aspect of my job from home and I'm sure a lot of others are the same. That being the case, what's the point in having folk pack on to trains and buses to sit in an office for 8-9 hours when they don't have to?

With regards to gyms, I'm sure social distancing measures will be put in place and it should be straightforward to limit numbers/implement a booking system if need be. There's also no evidence that the virus can be transmitted via sweat but, regardless, I'm sure there will be strict hygiene measures in place anyway.

In summary: your post is a lot of pish.

As someone who works in an office and regularly goes to the gym it makes perfect sense to me.

I can do pretty much every aspect of my job from home and I'm sure a lot of others are the same. That being the case, what's the point in having folk pack on to trains and buses to sit in an office for 8-9 hours when they don't have to?

With regards to gyms, I'm sure social distancing measures will be put in place and it should be straightforward to limit numbers/implement a booking system if need be. There's also no evidence that the virus can be transmitted via sweat but, regardless, I'm sure there will be strict hygiene measures in place anyway.

In summary: your post is a lot of pish.
I think a lot of businesses will be looking at smaller office spaces with more staff working from home - using hotdesking and touchdown areas for those that need it when they do come into work.

5 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

If the gyms have social distancing in place then I have to disagree from experience.  A work building that I was based in recently had various 2m warning and "no more than 4 people at a time" signs on all the office doors.  despite this, most of them had folk working next to one another and more than the limit inside, whilst the gym up the stairs (which had every 2nd machine taped off) was always full, but everyone was easily adhering to the rules.

What happens on paper and what happens in reality are clearly two very different things.     

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Non-essential office work can be done from home, so there is precisely zero benefit in reintroducing it

Not all office jobs can be done from home.  Can chefs in the works restaurant "work from home"?

I am pleased that gyms are reopening, but it should have been later than offices reopening.

1 minute ago, Tenkay said:

Not all office jobs can be done from home.  Can chefs in the works restaurant "work from home"?

I am pleased that gyms are reopening, but it should have been later than offices reopening.

We have been told it is highly unlikely we will be back in the office this year.  

6 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I assumed by "non-essential" then it means that essential office work ok.

Your point about chefs in the kitchen is valid, but if the office staff are working at home there is no need for a chef

I'm working from home right now, and while it's fine I would definitely like my office to be open at some point soon, not least because I'm about to be welcoming a newborn baby into my "home office". However, I think it's fair enough that these are amongst the last things to go back if the businesses involved are able to facilitate home working anyway.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What exactly is the plus side of opening offices?

Folk that work in offices that do jobs that can't be done from home can earn a living?

Good for you mate.  I'm sure this new way of working will suit a lot of people.....
.....who also won't give a shit about others being made redundant.
I don't really know what you mean by this but my view has nothing to do with others being made redundant.

I work in insurance and our main work provider recently went tits up. My job is up in the air until my employer gets something else sorted. None of that has anything to do with the fact that, while I have a job, I can do it from home and have no need to go into an office.

People realise that a so-called ban on "non-essential office work" doesn't mean an all out ban on office work, right?   :huh:

Also, this refers to work in which a shared office isn't essential to complete, nothing to do about non-key workers that genuinely can't do their work from home. 

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

I don't really know what you mean by this but my view has nothing to do with others being made redundant.

I work in insurance and our main work provider recently went tits up. My job is up in the air until my employer gets something else sorted. None of that has anything to do with the fact that, while I have a job, I can do it from home and have no need to go into an office.

I think the point that's being made though is that a lot of people think that everyone who works in an office is theoretically able to do it from home, but there are a lot of support staff in offices - janitors, cleaners, catering staff to give a few examples - that have been largely forgotten about.

Of course, there's the capitalist side of the argument that if offices close those jobs aren't required anyway, but it's still a pretty shitty way to lose a job.

I'm surprised and pleased that we're getting something today, I fully expected to get f**k all or even a step backwards with the new cases, I guess they're bound to know that just with the first lockdown , it can only go on as long as folk haven't lost patience with it

Also what with these new powers? the police already had the power to break up house parties pre covid , have they just lowered the bar for them turning up mob handed to clear everyone oot?

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

My exciting life normally revolves around football on a Saturday, teaching during the week, and the gym/fives to fill up the rest of the time. The full lockdown has in some ways extended into the easing up period for me as a result. Going back into school was brilliant and having fives back on Monday will be a life saver.

3 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Good for you mate.  I'm sure this new way of working will suit a lot of people.....

.....who also won't give a shit about others being made redundant.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Folk that work in offices that do jobs that can't be done from home can earn a living?

Can you give some examples of office-based roles that are completely incompatible with home working? I'm sure that some legitimate positions still exist but if your job is both non-essential and can't be done with all the remote technology now at hand then it's quite likely to be a bullshit role ready to be culled this autumn regardless.  

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'm working from home right now, and while it's fine I would definitely like my office to be open at some point soon, not least because I'm about to be welcoming a newborn baby into my "home office". However, I think it's fair enough that these are amongst the last things to go back if the businesses involved are able to facilitate home working anyway.

If the government is planning on allowing spectators outdoors according to a 'limited capacity' then I think it would make sense to explore opening office spaces on a similar principle to a fraction of the workforce at any one time. The problem perhaps is that they fear some employers will just try to fire as many people back into the office as possible, which is also the shrieking narrative of many daily newspapers who need the mass commute back to prop up their failing business model.