Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand how you can conclude that "they" are rushing things when you don't know how it works.
One last time - who are "they"? I could find you a lab worker that says it could be 6 years before a vaccine is made. I could find you a politician saying one would be out before the end of 2020. Lots of different people have lots of different opinions on it. This is why I'm asking you to define who "they" are. 
As NotThePars has said too, we have a huge number of people working on this vaccine, it's likely the process will be faster than it normally is. And in any case, the government or scientists aren't able to just throw out an untested vaccine, we have regulations for this shit.
From experience anything medical has different levels of red tape.
The FDA is probably the best known legislative body and the more intrusive the treatment the longer the trials and more documented it needs to be.
A vaccine is about as dangerous as you can get other than a replacement body part.
If needs must then im sure a few fences could be jumped i suppose?
Even something like nail clippers could take over a year to get licensed. Its a nightmare and the fda can shut down any business importing to the US overnight if rules are broken.

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand how you can conclude that "they" are rushing things when you don't know how it works.
One last time - who are "they"? I could find you a lab worker that says it could be 6 years before a vaccine is made. I could find you a politician saying one would be out before the end of 2020. Lots of different people have lots of different opinions on it. This is why I'm asking you to define who "they" are. 
As NotThePars has said too, we have a huge number of people working on this vaccine, it's likely the process will be faster than it normally is. And in any case, the government or scientists aren't able to just throw out an untested vaccine, we have regulations for this shit.

The pharmaceutical companies under pressure from governments.

I didnt say it would be untested. Just meant that i am not overly convinced the side affects would be fully understood at the time of its release

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

and in turn governments under pressure from their wealthy backers and supporters, also from the general public and popular media.

Wealthy backers being business leaders who are losing millions with their companies and in turn their own personal wealth.

Those wealthy backers including big pharma, the money train goes round and round

Only a quickie as I'm not clever enough to get involved too deeply, most companies,some shops can supply a flu vaccine, not sure at what cost. If say a covid19 vaccine costs £50+ then who are going to pay for it anyway ? and what if there isn't a guarantee that covid gets beaten by the jab ? Maybe the government brings in a vaccine just to calm the nation or ease their fears. 

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

It’s interesting to see the folk - on here and elsewhere - that seek to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic seem to really go after Devi Sridhar with a vehemence I haven’t seen them go for others.

You may disagree with her views - although she’s clearly better-qualified to express them than some morons on a Scottish football forum - but it is curious to observe those morons get so red-faced about her in particular. What is it about a successful, non-white woman they find so triggering? Just a curious observation. 

Arseholes were complaining about Catherine Calderwood well before she broke lockdown rules. Several articles in the usual rags denegrating her and calling for Hugh Pennington to be brought back from the scrapheap.

Whereas no one is questioning Jason Leitch's qualifications despite him being a fucking dentist.

Casual every day misogyny

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

Arseholes were complaining about Catherine Calderwood well before she broke lockdown rules. Several articles in the usual rags denegrating her and calling for Hugh Pennington to be brought back from the scrapheap.
Whereas no one is questioning Jason Leitch's qualifications despite him being a fucking dentist.

Boys will be boys

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

A/ Pretty sure Jason Leitch qualifacations have been questioned on here many times.

B/ Pretty sure Jason Leitch never publically told those struggling with mental health that others are struggling too so it will all be fine.

46 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Tbf it's not as if you'll find too many UAE subjects on the frontline of anything: that's what their modern slave labour system is for. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
37 minutes ago, Snafu said:

and in turn governments under pressure from their wealthy backers and supporters, also from the general public and popular media.

Wealthy backers being business leaders who are losing millions with their companies and in turn their own personal wealth.

I asked the question a few weeks ago..'what is the government's exit strategy?'....and I was told the answer is 'a vaccine'. 

If that's true, then governments everywhere will be putting enormous pressure on pharmaceutical companies to come up with something, and undoubtedly the pressure will be on approving agencies to give these vaccines the green light ASAP.

One thing's for sure, there's only so much in the way of restrictions and lockdowns that people can take. People have put up with lockdown for 6 months on the belief that it was absolutely and would lead to better things......I seriously doubt that another 6 months of life being turned upside down is feasible. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I asked the question a few weeks ago..'what is the government's exit strategy?'....and I was told the answer is 'a vaccine'. 

If that's true, then governments everywhere will be putting enormous pressure on pharmaceutical companies to come up with something, and undoubtedly the pressure will be on approving agencies to give these vaccines the green light ASAP.

One thing's for sure, there's only so much in the way of restrictions and lockdowns that people can take. People have put up with lockdown for 6 months on the belief that it was absolutely and would lead to better things......I seriously doubt that another 6 months of life being turned upside down is feasible. 

Clearly governments have difficult balances make, and it's easy for us on here to criticise, but sooner or later decisions have to be made where either we open up the economy with a rushed vaccine, or continue with restrictions which may prove to cause more long term damage. Not saying I support all the governments have done, but at the same time I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, would any of us done better?

It's absolutely mental btw that care workers and other important frontline staff are currently struggling to get viable tests and quick turnaround times on tests due to demand from snippy parents who just want their weans punted back out of the house ASAP. If there was an unlimited testing capacity then sure, let's test everyone with common symptoms. As it is, there needs to be much more streamlining of tests for key workers/high risk groups while the rest of the population are told just sit in their fucking house for two weeks and wait it out.

This also applies to football incidentally: if there is any shared burden of testing between the general public and football clubs then the latter needs to take a back seat and if that means sitting two weeks out after symptoms emerge at a club then so be it. 

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What exactly is your beef with that statement?  Its content or who it was delivered by?

The content, using a term like “shit soup (various flavours)” trivialises mental health issues

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's the ONS published statistics that show that since June, more people have died from pneumonia and the 'flu than Covid-19.

Yet we're all being hidden away in caves, with the government(s) seemingly happy to destroy the economy and the way we live our lives in the vain hope of 'suppressing' the virus. 

Following on from my above point about mental health. More people have died from suicide in the last week than have died from covid. That’s not factoring in people losing their life to cancer, heart attacks, strokes, pneumonia, road accidents. All things we could take measures to prevent but we don’t and carry on living our life as normal without “restrictions” 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Unsure if this is a serious post but there are a lot of people who still actually believe that (i.e. that he is 'just' a dentist).

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The content, using a term like “shit soup (various flavours)” trivialises mental health issues

Following on from my above point about mental health. More people have died from suicide in the last week than have died from covid. That’s not factoring in people losing their life to cancer, heart attacks, strokes, pneumonia, road accidents. All things we could take measures to prevent but we don’t and carry on living our life as normal without “restrictions” 

Well, none of the things you mentioned are communicable diseases. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Nor are we not taking measures to prevent them. 

What about all those seat belts, speed limits and road signs?

Of all on the list only the road accident example includes a direct community element, and we actually do put in place restrictions and regulations to try and prevent them.