Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's probably been rampaging around Shittown-on-Sea up north for months but as soon as London's economy is faced with the consequences of another lockdown we're all supposed to be concerned with their plight.

Someone I follow on twitter mentioned that this was known about in Norway as far back as October (so he says) 

Edited by madwullie

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

People in Scotland told to 'cut down contacts' before Christmas

Link

Can anyone think of a situation where people are continuing to meet hundreds of different contacts with under a fortnight until Christmas, and (in some cases) will continue to do so up until the 23rd December? 🤔

I think you’re exaggerating tbh. Most nail bars won’t be seeing anywhere near hundreds of contacts per day.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Do they test for the strain as a matter of course if a positive test is recorded? I wouldn't have thought there would be time to do that. 

Bit of a worrying development, this. Hopefully the vaccine is not impacted. 

Yes they do to see where it came from. I.e that's how the ruled out the Nike conference being our starting pistol.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ever since Leitch hilariously suggested they were driving the spread I do like to bring it up, so you’re right on the money with that one. 

Ah, right, anti-Leitch, anti-SG.  Got you now.

I should know better than to cross swords with a virologist/epidemiologist/ public health expert.

Edited by Granny Danger

Doesn’t this sort of thing usually happen with viruses? Hopefully the vaccine will take care of it as well because f*ck fucking f*ck another year of this absolute trash. We can’t hide away forever, surely?

Just now, DAFC. said:

Doesn’t this sort of thing usually happen with viruses? Hopefully the vaccine will take care of it as well because f*ck fucking f*ck another year of this absolute trash. We can’t hide away forever, surely?

Depends it might be more contagious but if the effects are the same or "better" and they are treated to some degree by the vaccine then it will be business as usual pretty much. But if this new strand makes you a lot sicker and isn't effected by the existing vaccines then it will be lockdown mark 3 and quite rightly.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Depends it might be more contagious but if the effects are the same or "better" and they are treated to some degree by the vaccine then it will be business as usual pretty much. But if this new strand makes you a lot sicker and isn't effected by the existing vaccines then it will be lockdown mark 3 and quite rightly.

Or it might be a variant that is easily spread but doesn't make anyone very ill. Best outcome for the virus's survival. 

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

The more contagious, the weaker the virus surely. Good news really, since the virus isn't going anywhere

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not really, it’s not the first time you’ve referenced nail bars.

I think it's code for any transmission outside schools, to make the possibility of it ever happening to a significant degree look ridiculous.  It's a running theme on this thread.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Ah, right, anti-Leitch, anti-SG.  Got you now.

I should know better than to cross swords with a virologist/epidemiologist/ public health expert.

I am absolutely not anti-SG/SNP. I’ve voted for them every single time I have voted in my entire life, and will continue to do so, especially with the overall aim of independence.

Unlike you though I am able to see faults in some of the things they do and do not feel they are absolutely blameless. They’ve made plenty of mistakes during this, as all governments have, and I’m happy to point those out. Overall I think they’ve done a reasonable job and am quite happy to continue voting for them.

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ever since Leitch hilariously suggested they were driving the spread I do like to bring it up, so you’re right on the money with that one. 

Old Man Danger can't get his head round someone having concern for any situation other than their own.

I'd put him on Ignore if I was you. I still see the odd quoted post unfortunately but 90% less Danger has been fantastic.

As has been said earlier, the small populations in Scottish neighbourhoods allows for massive skewings of comparable stats. 

The Stirling /Clacks differential is the one I’ve looked at although I don’t  have the detail here right now.

But the essential premise is that Sauchie is indeed the epicentre in Clacks but, because of the open testing centre in Alloa, they are testing roughly twice the proportion of the population and consequently turning up about twice the number of positives c/w Stirling. Combine that with the smallest Council area population sample size and trying to compare/extrapolate becomes a meaningless exercise. 

Several mutations of the virus have been reported during the pandemic. It was also predicted to do so. As long as it's not more lethal I don't think it will have a huge impact on how we deal with it. There seems to be confidence that the vaccines will continue to work which is the most important thing