Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Signed up to take part in a study to see if;

- Blood cancer patients are at a higher risk of severe covid.

- Do blood cancer patients mount an immune response to covid and is the response maintained over time.

- Do blood cancer patients gain immunity with a covid vaccination.

- Should treatment be altered to optimise covid19 vaccine immunity.

Norn Iron announcing a 6 week lockdown starting on boxing day. What a fucking farce this is.

Wonder when ours gets announced.

There’s a reason furlough has been extended a month. They’re expecting cases to rise because of this.

13 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

- Do blood cancer patients mount an immune response to covid and is the response maintained over time.

Decent wedge?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Decent wedge?

f**k all 😭

It's a study I've been doing since I was diagnosed. Done by Oxford University and they do it on rare diseases. This is just a side study, need to provide blood and urine samples for up to 5 years on it. If I live that long!

As of course, everyone will stick to the 3 households/8 people rule [emoji6]

Indeed not everyone will stick to the rules just as many haven’t stuck to many of the rules thus far.
Lots of people however will stick to the rules. In fact many will still spend Christmas in a single household. None of that’s newsworthy of course.

Well, I've very recently been given the news that Covid has taken an elderly family member down in Glasgow.  She got sent to hospital after a fall last week, but caught Covid there after just a few days.  As if that wasn't bad enough, her husband eventually collapsed after the stress of her hospital news, and after getting sent to hospital himself, he had a sudden decline last night and died just a few hours before his wife.
With the Christmas relaxation incoming, we'll be joined by many, many more (soon to be) shaken families, but as long as folk can get their aunts / friends together to watch Mrs Brown's Christmas Special over a box of Quality Street after a glorified Sunday roast, it'll all be worth it.  Won't it Boris, you utter f***ing charlatan.
Merry Christmas

Really sorry to hear that Hedgecutter. That’s terrible news. Best wishes to you and your family.

16 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Sounds interesting. When does it start?

My old man was diagnosed almost a year ago with blood cancer after being a stubborn old c**t and not going to the hospital. My mum had to practically drag him there, which as just as well or the daft old f**k would have died (although she has a cheek since she won't go to the GP about arthritis issues). He ended up getting a whole load of transfusions across a week. He's been doing pretty well since summer when he had a shite turn. Think they changed his medication or some shit. I'll need to spea to him.

I would be interested to see how you get on with your study.

2 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

f**k all 😭

It's a study I've been doing since I was diagnosed. Done by Oxford University and they do it on rare diseases. This is just a side study, need to provide blood and urine samples for up to 5 years on it. If I live that long!

I'm on a study too, think I'm on 3 monthly bloods for the duration. It's comparing the 6 monthly injection I'm on to patches they're trying out, it was 50/50 what I'd get, quite happy not having to faff around with patches. No cash for me neither... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Sounds interesting. When does it start?

My old man was diagnosed almost a year ago with blood cancer after being a stubborn old c**t and not going to the hospital. My mum had to practically drag him there, which as just as well or the daft old f**k would have died (although she has a cheek since she won't go to the GP about arthritis issues). He ended up getting a whole load of transfusions across a week. He's been doing pretty well since summer when he had a shite turn. Think they changed his medication or some shit. I'll need to spea to him.

I would be interested to see how you get on with your study.

I've signed up today, think they only started requesting patients last week so probably be a few weeks before it starts.

Glad to hear you dad is doing well. 

20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Really sorry to hear that Hedgecutter. That’s terrible news. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks, appreciated.   FWIW, one of them spent many, many years on the board of a certain SPFL club and will certainly be known by some on here, but I won’t go into any more detail than that.

Daft idea time....

Why not hold some sort of event in most towns so that people can get a few drinks at new year outside with a few bands on or fireworks. Police on hand to help out. I see this as far safer than telling people to stay in. People will just have house parties.

Similar to safe drug areas. People are going to do it so might as well minimise the damage.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Daft idea time....

Why not hold some sort of event in most towns so that people can get a few drinks at new year outside with a few bands on or fireworks. Police on hand to help out. I see this as far safer than telling people to stay in. People will just have house parties.

Similar to safe drug areas. People are going to do it so might as well minimise the damage.

I know no one having a party and would say I'm in the age group most likely to hear or Hogmanay parties.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Daft idea time....

This is an absolutely dreadful idea