Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We still can on Christmas day what exactly were you planning given all the precautions or warnings over the last week. Christmas day is and always was plenty despite what was announced previously.

Of course this is 1 massive f**k up by all the UKGs but I still don't get that anyone was hoping for or expecting anything different from the actual outcome. Most of those now complaining have been openly predicting it on here for weeks !

It's utter shite, it really is but hardly a surprise so on that basis not the hard pill to swallow some are making out. I personally expected nothing different, perhaps I just have low expectations of government.
I think you're being pretty myopic here.

My health has been horrendous recently and with very little hope of things improving i had put a lot of focus into visits to our parents (the in laws on the 26th and my parents on the 27th).

It was something to hold on to - 2 days where my kids could see their grandparents - which i know means so much to them.

Those plans have been fucked over, and I'm massively gutted.

My mother in law has a terminal illness and for that reason time is incredibly precious.

I fully understand that a lot of people are able to see this as a relatively minor sacrifice but other folk have all sorts of physical and mental illnesses that add a layer of complexity to life.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My health has been horrendous recently and with very little hope of things improving i had put a lot of focus into visits to our parents (the in laws on the 26th and my parents on the 27th).

It was something to hold on to - 2 days where my kids could see their grandparents - which i know means so much to them.

My mother in law has a terminal illness and for that reason time is incredibly precious.

I fully understand that a lot of people are able to see this as a relatively minor sacrifice but other folk have all sorts of physical and mental illnesses that add a layer of complexity to life.

I thought terminally ill were exempt.  Is this not the case?

42 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sadly it'll make no difference as your lifelong cult members like @Wee Willie will donate and vote for them for eternity

FFS I'll vote for the SNP and donate to them until Scotland  is independent (I ken) and hopefully that'll no be from here to eternity 😊

35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In worse news

Jings, Crivvens and Help ma boab!

To be a fly on the wall at the private government debriefings. As others have said, they must be given all sorts of horror stories to pull deeply unpopular measures like this out of their arses at short notice. Just imagine the reality sledgehammer that Trump must have been battered with in order to get him to do anything at all.

Anyway, best of luck, folks. As I've been telling myself for years, things can't stay this bad forever.

nah, they got told literally 3 days ago christmas was all fine, they've just stopped listening to an in-credible government
The government have messed up but those scenes make me angry. I realise that some are faced with desperate situations but if the 70% thing is correct then this should be stopped. Its madness.

Would not be surprised (or feel they'd done anything particularly wrong) if a lot of folk in this position just go 'f**k it' and visit anyway.
I was up for that but my mum is now pretty spooked by the announcement.

It also sounds like travel restrictions are going to be policed a bit more, which obviously puts folk off.
She's had the cancer for a few years, and lasted longer than first predicted. She's been much worse recently but it's hard to judge.

I've always told my wife to forget about the restrictions and do what she has to do. But taking the kids through was going to be the plan, so now we're just unsure.

1 hour ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

entitled twat, so what you're saying is '''m protecting what's mine'' and everyone else can get fucked ? Maybe its you who should go to your son in London, Your f**k you jack attitude is the norm down there.

Civic and joyous.

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

They were exempt from shielding. Unsure about this, but if I was staring at my last Christmas so and I fucking would be spending it on my tod in the house 

I'm not having a go and realise that loads of folk will be affected. The point I was making was that is it a surprise ? Did you honestly not think for a moment this might happen ? It was predicted by umpteen pseudo experts on here alone.

I am not being unsympathetic to anyone I'm just surprised folk didn't see it coming. As for the restrictions themselves it's up to everyone to make their own decisions based on their personal situation. Yours sounds like it would be permitted even now given your circumstances so no need to give it a second thought and certainly no need to beat yourself up about doing what you feel is right.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I was up for that but my mum is now pretty spooked by the announcement.

It also sounds like travel restrictions are going to be policed a bit more, which obviously puts folk off. She's had the cancer for a few years, and lasted longer than first predicted. She's been much worse recently but it's hard to judge.

I've always told my wife to forget about the restrictions and do what she has to do. But taking the kids through was going to be the plan, so now we're just unsure.

If things are looking pretty final, I'd personally keep the kids in all weekend and next week and basically quarantine, and go and see them first before visiting anyone else. 

Like @Billy Jean King  said, it's not worth beating yourself up and worrying about what is "right" - what's right is whatever you want to do in that situation. 

Edited by madwullie

The government have messed up but those scenes make me angry. I realise that some are faced with desperate situations but if the 70% thing is correct then this should be stopped. Its madness.
The "70% thing" means this "new" (known about for weeks) strain is 0.7 times more contagious than whatever other strain they are measuring it against. I think it's very convenient how they've conveyed this to make it seem like 70% is a big number and I find it intriguing they've chosen, I presume purposely, to do it this way.

I'm not having a go and realise that loads of folk will be affected. The point I was making was that is it a surprise ? Did you honestly not think for a moment this might happen ? It was predicted by umpteen pseudo experts on here alone.

I am not being unsympathetic to anyone I'm just surprised folk didn't see it coming. As for the restrictions themselves it's up to everyone to make their own decisions based on their personal situation. Yours sounds like it would be permitted even now given your circumstances so no need to give it a second thought and certainly no need to beat yourself up about doing what you feel is right.
I absolutely didn't see this coming, as the numbers in Scotland have been relatively stable - and i thought Boris was pretty determined to avoid another humiliating climbdown that would piss off his right wing fanbase.

And the idea that p&b predictions are a good indicator of reality is a bit far fetched. There's a lot of shite spouted about all sorts of topics on here.

Well that's a lot of nonsense, plenty of people care about others.  Yes we know you have had a rough time but in the new year you need to find a way to be around more positive people and stop seeing the negative in everything 
Life will be more enjoyable.
Youre not wrong but let's not pretend society hasnt went downhill over the last few decades and people are much more selfish now.
To say it hasn't is as warped as my view but dont want to argue.

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

To be a fly on the wall at the private government debriefings. As others have said, they must be given all sorts of horror stories to pull deeply unpopular measures like this out of their arses at short notice. Just imagine the reality sledgehammer that Trump must have been battered with in order to get him to do anything at all.

Anyway, best of luck, folks. As I've been telling myself for years, things can't stay this bad forever.

I agree. I know these are pretty extreme times and it's easy to attach ulterior motives to everything the govts do, but this kind of shit is so unpopular I genuinely don't think they'd be doing it unless the felt they had to. Johnston especially would execute his own mother if he thought it would make him more liked. 

I haven't read all the posts about todays' announcement and so far I've been supportive of Nicola Sturgeon's approach but today is the second time I've thought she's losing control. 

And how long does she need to take to cut to the chase? She spouted on for at least 10 minutes saying nothing

Edited by FK1Bairn
Typo

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I agree. I know these are pretty extreme times and it's easy to attach ulterior motives to everything the govts do, but this kind of shit is so unpopular I genuinely don't think they'd be doing it unless the felt they had to. Johnston especially would execute his own mother if he thought it would make him more liked. 

I would be concerned if I was Nicola’s Mum then, given that she pretty much replicates everything that he does.