Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Aye, the reaction from foreign countries seems to have taken them by surprise.
If they have "over-egged the pudding" to justify the removal of the Christmas relaxation period then it has backfired spectacularly.
Lying to the people then assuming xenophobic tweets will resolve the self made issues......

Is this brexit or covid?

A bit of both. 
The two things coming together to precipitate the biggest crisis in memory, and we have Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock at the helm.

Drink that fucker in.

Whilst Brexit was always a disaster waiting to happen, theres always been a touch of hyperbole about the coverage.... I actually dont think it can be overstated what a disaster we are heading into come January.

11 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Good Afternoon. 7 Days on from my last review it is worth a complete council update.   The latest figures encompass  the first 7 days of most places being in Tier 3.  I know Scotgov have decided already to place everyone in Tier 4 but let us take a look and see if the figures are rising yet with the new super spreading Ingurland Variant.

Overall cases per 100K  for 7 days 5th December to 11the December were 110.0 .   Now we are in period 12th Dec to 18th Dec the figure is 116.1  That is a further increase of just 5.54% in relaxed restrictions. 

Let us just take a look at the main councils and ignore the unfortunate Tier 1 areas.

Aberdeen City Tier 3   122.0 to 166.6    Increase 36.55%     Not a good start to being put in tier 3.  Deserve Tier 4 regardless

Aberdeenshire Tier 3     84.2 to 112.6   Increase 33.72 %    As per the city was not a good start after relegation.

City Of Edinburgh  Tier 3  100.4 to 125.0   Increase 24.50%     Wanted promotion but were sliding to Tier 4 anyway.

Clackmannanshire  Tier 3    188.2 to 147.5  Decrease  21.62 %    This council should due to population be coming down quicker. still hotspots 2 weeks after it kicked off.

Dundee City  Tier 3    133.9 to 118.5   Decrease 11.50  Dundee 1st council certainly not deserving Tier 4

East Ayrshire  Tier 3   163.1 to 163.9    Increase 0.49%   I think the sheer high number deserves back in tier 4    

East Dunbartonshire  Tier 3 97.6 to 91.1    Decrease 6.66%   Still dropping in Tier 3

East Lothian   Tier 3   126.1 to 172.8   Increase 37.03%   Got relegated to Tier 3 and still mutant behaviour. All in Prestonpanns and Tranent

East Renfrewshire  Tier 3 130.8 to 136.1  Increase 4.05%   Not unexpected rise after promotion. 

Fife Tier 3   135.5 to 112.7 Decrease 16.82%   Another council that tier 4 is harsh.

Glasgow City  Tier 3 148.2 to 143.9   Decrease 2.90%   Good to see 1st week in Tier 3 and they were still reducing.

Midlothian  Tier 3    147.1 to 147.1   No Change  Stabilised but no real complaints if they were in Tier 4 through normal criteria.

North Ayrshire  Tier 3  172.9 to 205.6   Increase 18.91%    Cesspit of scotland currently. tier 4 deserved. Saltcoats & kilwinning mainly. 

North Lanarkshire  Tier 3 137.7 to 132.4   Decrease  3.85%   Good to see 1st week in Tier 3 and they were still reducing.

Perth & Kinross Tier 3    98.1 to 144.1 Increase 46.89%  Oh ya fecker. The fermers were going Tier 4 regardless

Renfrewshire  Tier 3 131.2 to 127.3    Decrease  2.97%    another council where promotion has not halted progress. 

South Ayrshire  Tier 3  111.0 to 119.9   Increase 8.01%  Ayrshire in general just not playing ball

South Lanarkshire  Tier 3 134.8 to 124.5  Decrease 7.64%%   another council where promotion has not halted progress.

Stirling Tier 3  92.3 to 89.2   Decrease 3.36%       Again progress not halted and Tier 4 a kick in the cans.

West Dunbartonshire  Tier 3  81.0 to 125.9  Increase 55.44%  deserve back in the basement league. a place called Whitecrook leading the surge.

West Lothian   Tier 3 114.1 to 99.4  Decrease 12.88%   Another promoted council behaving in Tier 3 and now a kick in the baws

Angus Tier 2  66.3 to 49.1  Decrease 25.94%    Celebrated back in the Pubs.  Cases still decrease.  Double relegation. Madness

Falkirk   Tier 2  99.4 to 80.2  Decrease 19.31%    Celebrated back in the Pubs.  Cases still decrease.  Double relegation. Madness

Inverclyde  Tier 2   60.4 to 66.8   Increase 10.59%    it is only 52 cases in total.  Madness

Argyll & Bute  Tier 2   37.3 to 38.4   Increase 2.94%   Could have been celbrating promotion but done a Swindon.  Madness

The only oddity among the Tier 1 crew was that it has kicked off in the Scottish borders.  Cases surged to over 100.4.  They would have had a potential double relegation.  The rest of the teuchters will be spewing into their final beers.

Comparing our figures with the areas of Wales where the new variant has taken hold, I think it's obvious why the SG has acted.

image.thumb.png.0a1e02b967d2d9a6934ae91c4f7ce1d5.png

More than 40 countries have now banned flights from Britain in the last 24 hours but 9 months into the pandemic we still allow flights in from all over and those on board are free to do as they please but please self isolate. You could not make this up.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Looks like nationwide restrictions could be the future for us. I'd be furious if I lived somewhere rural and couldn't leave the house due to high case numbers in Glasgow or Edinburgh. 

people who live out in the sticks of south lanarkshire have already experienced that, tier whatever recently had locked down because of shitholes like Cambuslang & Rutherglen which are weegie as f**k, but are part of South Lanarkshire Council

John Swinney on the radio this morning again stating “schools are safe”.
Jesus wept.
I know you and I have not seen eye to eye on this but I agree with you.

You can't say schools are safe - at best you can say there is a risk but that it is at a level that is acceptable.

With this new strain I'm not sure they can say even that - given that the indications are that it may be passing more quickly amongst young people than the existing strain.

In terms of schools being open - do the kids wear masks all day in class? 
I work in a Spanish school and the regulations are fairly tight - masks on all day, 1.5m apart at all times (mostly works), windows open all day, desks cleaned after every lesson, etc. We have been lucky not to have any cases of transmission in school (as far as we can establish) but that's obviously not the case everywhere here. 
Yeah, I agree. There are some elements of people just wanting to get their kids in no matter what but the lack of financial support seems to be the main driving point is it not?
Depends which LA you are in - compulsory for S4 to S6 in tier 3/4 LAs - some like Dundee have made them compulsory for S1 to S6.

There are still the usual exemptions - we've got 2 groups for those - those with recorded reasons (no masks at all) and those where the parent insists there is an exemption (usually in class but not in the corridor).

The problem with Perth and Kinross, is it’s full of fucking arseholes.
We’d have deservedly gone into tier 4 regardless.

The council would still fucking whinge and claim it’s no fair.

If the prevalence of covid in an area is low, the chances of it spreading around a school are also lower. 
You have a two areas: one with a rate of 120 per 100k, and another with 30 per 100k. Both schools have 1000 pupils. Which school is riskier? 
It's why I have argued against blanket school closures/blended learning - if cases in a school do reach an unacceptable level they should be closed and move to remote learning.

Same in the school I work in. At lunch and break kids are outside if it is dry and year groups are kept seperate if indoors. I don't want to jinx it but we have, somewhat astonishingly, almost made it to the end of the year without a single confirmed case amongst staff or pupils. And we are in Lanarkshire. No idea how we have managed it...
Holy water?

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Got details?

Just as it says, details of the booking process were seemingly leaked in various staff whatsapp groups etc and people who knew they werent eligible booked vaccine appointments. Trust found out a couple of days later and sent out an email asking people to cancel these appointments (too late for many).