Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's all about ra skools and lazy parents spiel has been going on for about 6 months now, got well boring 5 months ago.

If only the government's idea of putting parents before public health was compatible with a respiratory virus pandemic, but here we are 6 months later with the entire fucking mainland sent into lockdown again instead. 

I've got a radical idea the current Nuclear war heads are coming to the end of their life why don't we nuke the worst effected areas or alternatively threaten anyone who closes their borders to us with total destruction. We may as well use the 200 or so missiles it would be a shame to waste them.

Don’t be daft. Billy Connelly said they were full of feckin sandshoes. Bloody dodgy nuclear warhead salesman. Fecked off with all that commission too !!

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Most working parents were off at that time" lolwot. Any numbers to back this up?

I appreciate this is the same person who said the only people who have functionality to work remotely are a small subset of accountants. 

In March - June I was on furlough so that solved my childcare problem. My wife was working from and has done so for the duration.

This time round, as I work in manufacturing / construction, at present I'll be back at work after the holiday and my wife will be back at work too. Unrealistic to expect her to work from home and school our son. Neither of us are considered "key workers" (although that's something I'd challenge!)

We have no family nearby, and are really struggling to think of what to do. 

This situation will be repeated many times over across the whole country surely?

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've just realised that I broke Covid laws numerous times today by driving to Seafield via the Bypass, thus entering East and Mid Lothian.  I'm a lawbreaker.

ETA - How can I block a specific poster from seeing my post, eg philpy?

I have a key worker's letter if you need cover for being a filthy lowlife Covid spreading criminal.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

In March - June I was on furlough so that solved my childcare problem. My wife was working from and has done so for the duration.

This time round, as I work in manufacturing / construction, at present I'll be back at work after the holiday and my wife will be back at work too. Unrealistic to expect her to work from home and school our son. Neither of us are considered "key workers" (although that's something I'd challenge!)

This situation will be repeated many times over across the whole country surely?

These are the cold hard numbers I was after to justify the use of the word "most". Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Steven W said:

It's really not 'unrealistic' for either/both parents in a dual parent household to either:

- explore WFH: I note that you say 'unrealistic' here rather than ' not possible'

- take short-term leave for childcare purposes.

What would you do if your child got sick/unable to attend school for a few weeks for any other reason? A school is not your failsafe resort for childcare and in the event of a global pandemic that should not happen. 

Your Liverpool-esque sense of injustice about not getting a key worker badge has also been noted. 

Edited by vikingTON

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Most working parents were off at that time" lolwot. Any numbers to back this up?

I appreciate this is the same person who said the only people who have functionality to work remotely are a small subset of accountants. 

^^^ Doesn’t think most folk were off during the initial lockdown.  What a buffoon.

The Office for National Statistics has over 46% of those in employment as working from home in April. Given this doesn't include "key workers" I think it's pretty safe to assume that "most" parents being "off work" in the spring is anecdotal and not supported by any sort of data.

Not sure I agree with this. That's one question that needs to be considered but there are numerous competing priorities which need to be balanced.
All I've been waiting for is a bit honesty from those in charge and this "grown up conversation" we were promised, rather than patronising pish about wrapping paper being shiny and making our own sunshine from The Guys.
Just on wrapping paper I see several overseas postal services are now refusing to handle mail from the UK. Just how far is this going to go. It's a response more akin to anthrax than a slightly different variant of a virus we have been dealing with for the last 9 months.

It's really not 'unrealistic' for either/both parents in a dual parent household to either:
- explore WFH: I note that you say 'unrealistic' here rather than ' not possible'
What would you do if your child got sick/unable to attend school for a few weeks for any other reason? A school is not your failsafe resort for childcare and in the event of a global pandemic that should not happen. 
Your Liverpool-esque sense of injustice about not getting a key worker badge has also been noted. 
Laughable. Serious question, I take it you are not a parent.

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

Define "short term leave"

If my son took ill we'd muddle around or use annual leave. It would most probably only be a day or two.

Given we both work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, I can assure you, in our household I and my wife are both very much "key workers". Feel free to note that too.

Edited by Steven W

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Define "short term leave"

If my son took ill we'd muddle around or use annual leave. It would most probably only be a day or two.

Given we both work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, I can assure you, in our household I and my wife are both very much "key workers". Feel free to note that too.

If you'd stuck in at the school yourself you'd have a job that allows special leave.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson