Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It's really not 'unrealistic' for either/both parents in a dual parent household to either:

- explore WFH: I note that you say 'unrealistic' here rather than ' not possible'

- take short-term leave for childcare purposes.

What would you do if your child got sick/unable to attend school for a few weeks for any other reason? A school is not your failsafe resort for childcare and in the event of a global pandemic that should not happen. 

Your Liverpool-esque sense of injustice about not getting a key worker badge has also been noted. 

You don't get much work done from home while trying to look after a two year old. My work was really decent in letting me and others take time off for childcare and catch up on work at night, weekends etc. For some teams that wasn't an option due to daily deadlines.

It doesn't compare to your kid being off sick either. It's easy to cope when it's just one team member needing time off but becomes a nightmare when everyone with children is needing time off.

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Define "short term leave"

If my son took ill we'd muddle around or use annual leave. It would most probably only be a day or two.

I see that you're now qualified to give out medical prognoses as well. 

As it is, you would be expected to 'muddle around' or use up annual leave to look after your sprogs in this instance as well. Having a child is a care-giving responsibility and if that means not getting your two weeks in Benidorm next year then that's just tough. 

Given we both work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, I can assure you, in our household I and my wife are both very much "key workers". Feel free to note that too.

I'm sure that your Victoria Cross is in the post but no, that does not actually make you in fact a 'key worker'. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

As it is, you would be expected to 'muddle around' or use up annual leave to look after your sprogs in this instance as well. Having a child is a care-giving responsibility and if that means not getting your two weeks in Benidorm next year then that's just tough. 

I'm sure that your Victoria Cross is in the post but no, that does not actually make you in fact a 'key worker'. 

No one can use next summer's annual leave this December. That's basic stuff.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

As it is, you would be expected to 'muddle around' or use up annual leave to look after your sprogs in this instance as well. Having a child is a care-giving responsibility and if that means not getting your two weeks in Benidorm next year then that's just tough. I'm sure that your Victoria Cross is in the post but no, that does not actually make you in fact a 'key worker'. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Good grief

VT has absolutely lost it. Glorious to see the meltdown.
We are a post away from his default position of questioning why these people had the stupidity of having children in the first place.

A total moron at times who clearly wouldn't know the first thing about trying to balance work with childcare yet professes to be an expert telling all those who know exactly how difficult it can be what to do.

Boss swung by today to confirm that we'll be on furlough til the 18th, but claims the high head yins have been tipped off that it's likely to be far longer, to the point that they're writing off the rest of the financial year.

Anyone else heard anything like this, or is my boss just being a fanny, as per?

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Most peoples holidays run April-March so taking time off in January isn't an option either 

Shifting the goalposts after wondering why your 'but... December is this year!' clincher failed to hit the mark I see. In any case, your claim is still wrong. Parents can take essential leave in January for childcare in the same way that people take leave for bereavement and other significant personal issues. It does not get put in a holiday book the year in advance, yet for some strange reason they're not at their workplace and don't get the sack! 

If some parents lose out in earnings over the whole of 2021 because some of their total leave ends up unpaid then that's just tough. Others in society are going to be making do with £80 per week next year as a result of the pandemic, so the minor inconvenience of those taking time off work for childcare and losing out financially is really not a top priority. 

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We are a post away from his default position of questioning why these people had the stupidity of having children in the first place.

A total moron at times who clearly wouldn't know the first thing about trying to balance work with childcare yet professes to be an expert telling all those who know exactly how difficult it can be what to do.

I haven't given any specific instructions on how parents should balance their work and childcare, I've simply stated the facts that i) a school does not actually exist to act as your glorified creche for eleven years and ii) it is not the task of society in the middle of a pandemic to work its entire public health response around 'ma annual leave!111!!'

The failure to grasp the second point is one of the main reasons why the UK has had spectacularly abysmal performance across the board.

Edited by vikingTON

I haven't given any specific instructions on how parents should balance their work and childcare, I've simply stated the facts that i) a school does not actually exist to act as your glorified creche for eleven years and ii) it is not the task of society in the middle of a pandemic to work its entire public health response around 'ma annual leave!111!!'
The failure to grasp the second point is one of the main reasons why the UK has had spectacularly abysmal performance across the board.

Here speaketh the failed teacher.