Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just on the immunity amongst those that have had it. Me and 4 other's from work were struck down with this in March, utterly fucked us and I was off for weeks.

Currently this thing is ripping through my team. Of 35 people 20 are now off, 16 went in one go and are suffering the typical no taste, no energy just laid up with it. Meanwhile the 5 of us fine, it's hardly scientific but personal experience.   

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Na bunch of immunologists online saying its fine and sensible. Better to have 90% of 10 million people immune than 95% of 5 million. Makes sense to me.

The pharmaceutical companies want to max the headline efficacy percentage for PR sales related reasons with their second dose, so have deliberately downplayed the idea that it starts working well a few days after a single jag. One of the few things BJ has got right is ignoring them to get as many high risk people vaccinated ASAP.

What does everyone think the next major f**k-up will be?
1) The vaccine is placed on a spaceship next to a paedophile by accident ("This is the one thing we didn't want to happen")
2) Vials of the vaccine are accidentally mixed up with vials of Ebola
3) The vaccine accidentally turns people into cats
Any others?
Someone sticks the entire Pfizer delivery into the microwave at full to defrost it. They pretend it didn't happen and the vulnerable just get injected with Tikka Sauce

Just on the immunity amongst those that have had it. Me and 4 other's from work were struck down with this in March, utterly fucked us and I was off for weeks.
Currently this thing is ripping through my team. Of 35 people 20 are now off, 16 went in one go and are suffering the typical no taste, no energy just laid up with it. Meanwhile the 5 of us fine, it's hardly scientific but personal experience.   
Health and safety must be well impressed with your workplace.

12 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
14 hours ago, madwullie said:
Primary schools in England staying shut apparently. Extremely shocking u-turn 

Only in London, ours are still opening on Monday

NI schools are now closed until 11th January. And secondary school pupils will have to now wear face masks in class.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update and typo

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Which is it, are you a teacher or classroom assistant?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The pharmaceutical companies want to max the headline efficacy percentage for PR sales related reasons with their second dose, so have deliberately downplayed the idea that it starts working well a few days after a single jag. One of the few things BJ has got right is ignoring them to get as many high risk people vaccinated ASAP.

Pfizer and Moderna have already gamed their efficacy % by not testing everyone involved in the trial and only testing those that showed symptoms. AZ/Oxford on the other hand did test everyone, so I'm far from convinced that the other two are actually superior at this moment in time. 

However, they absolutely should call out the Government if it's planing on delivering the dosage outside of the trial parameters as this seems a risky strategy. I also agree that the government should publish the data to support its decision to do this, in the spirit of the science. 

I've not been keeping up to speed with this thread but ... 

Do we know how many doses of these vaccines are actually available in the UK?

Do we know what the current vaccination rate is per week?

If 45m people need 2 doses of the vaccine then the rate of vaccination needs to run at something like 2m per week to get through this by somewhere around the end of October 21. 3m per week gets the job done by around end of July. Still leaves approximately another 20m people not vaccinated. 

Does anyone think 90m doses are actually going to be available - even if ordered? Does anyone think the UK has the capacity to undertake over 400k injections per day?

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

I've not been keeping up to speed with this thread but ... 

Do we know how many doses of these vaccines are actually available in the UK?

Do we know what the current vaccination rate is per week?

If 45m people need 2 doses of the vaccine then the rate of vaccination needs to run at something like 2m per week to get through this by somewhere around the end of October 21. 3m per week gets the job done by around end of July. Still leaves approximately another 20m people not vaccinated. 

Does anyone think 90m doses are actually going to be available - even if ordered? Does anyone think the UK has the capacity to undertake over 400k injections per day?

Certainly not within the existing infrastructure.

A 24/7 programme would be needed

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Really don't know why we're not doing them 24/7.    Staff I know would be happy to do extra even nights to get this rolled out tbh.

Look at today, I'm doing heehaw other than ordering an Indian, inspecting a football park and getting slightly inebriated.

Would happily have spent several hours giving out injections instead.

We keep hearing about the severity of the situation etc so maybe treat the vaccination programme like that and not you can get a wee jag 8-4 Monday to Friday idea.

Yes Staff are tired but we'd rather blast in a few extra  hours doing vaccines and bring this nightmare to an end quicker.

Thought we weren't get enough delivered for there to be any point in 24/7, unless it was for night staff in hospitals or big care homes. 

AZ are claiming they’ll be able to provide two million doses a week by the middle of January, or a couple of weeks into the AZ vaccination programme (starting Monday). If that pulls through we’ve no excuses for not motoring through that couple of million a week by the end of the month.

530,000 doses are available for the UK from Monday, so I doubt we’ll be seeing concert halls and stadia just yet. But combined with whatever we have available from Pfizer I’d hope to see a fair bit of progress soon.

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Pfizer and Moderna have already gamed their efficacy % by not testing everyone involved in the trial and only testing those that showed symptoms. AZ/Oxford on the other hand did test everyone, so I'm far from convinced that the other two are actually superior at this moment in time. 

However, they absolutely should call out the Government if it's planing on delivering the dosage outside of the trial parameters as this seems a risky strategy. I also agree that the government should publish the data to support its decision to do this, in the spirit of the science. 

The difference in the way 'efficacy' was measured between the studies gets surprisingly little discussion.

Personally I don't see the problem with extending the gap between doses for the Oxford/AZ vaccine as it's based on already established vaccine type. Doing it for something new like the Pfizer one seems risky.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Are folk really going to be going for a jag at 3am in the middle of February?

Given that after care homes and at risk medical staff, the first tranche is the over eighties, I think not.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Are folk really going to be going for a jag at 3am in the middle of February?

Once we have more supply than we need, should happen fairly quickly due to the number of doses we ordered when they should be setting up vaccination stations at night time employers, police stations, hospitals, factories etc and giving people the jag taking a note of their NHS number so they know who they have done.