Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I genuinely believe a school teacher should know the difference between Modern History and Modern Studies.

I'm a maths teacher. I'm pretty sure my history / modern studies teacher colleagues won't know the difference between a Maclaurin Expansion and a  Binomial Expansion.

My point, which I'm (admittedly badly) trying to make, is that when people make claims such as this being the worst thing in modern history, I don't think they're meaning in the literal definition of modern history, which goes back about 500 years.

I think they're meaning since WW2. I don't think anyone truly believes this is worse than WW2. And my reason for thinking that is (as I've explained) WW2 is taught in history, and post-WW2 is modern studies. I don't think that's too wild a thing to claim for anyone who isn't a historian.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I'm a maths teacher. I'm pretty sure my history / modern studies teacher colleagues won't know the difference between a Maclaurin Expansion and a  Binomial Expansion.

My point, which I'm (admittedly badly) trying to make, is that when people make claims such as this being the worst thing in modern history, I don't think they're meaning in the literal definition of modern history, which goes back about 500 years.

I think they're meaning since WW2. I don't think anyone truly believes this is worse than WW2. And my reason for thinking that is (as I've explained) WW2 is taught in history, and post-WW2 is modern studies. I don't think that's too wild a thing to claim for anyone who isn't a historian.

When I did modern studies it included a module on China that started in 1911 with the overthrow on the Qing dynasty.  Certainly wasn't restricted to post WWII.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Good explanation, thanks.

I would agree this Pandemic isn't worse than WW2, but given the quality of those in government dealing with the situation, don't hold your breath!

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

When I did modern studies it included a module on China that started in 1911 with the overthrow on the Qing dynasty.  Certainly wasn't restricted to post WWII.

Pretty sure we did the League of Nations too. 

But you would expect them to know the difference between statistics and geometry.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

You keep hearing people saying, it's like a disaster movie, with the strain 2, etc

Ie, as you say, since the second world war, life's been a bit of a cake walk and most people can't relate to anything bad happening (which pre ww2 was normal) without reference to a disaster movie

Yeehah! We are absolute cowboys - aren't we? :fire2

PHE says it is reasonable to mix the two approved vaccines in exceptional circumstances

“If your first dose is the Pfizer vaccine you should not be given the AstraZeneca vaccine for your second dose and vice versa. There may be extremely rare occasions where the same vaccine is not available, or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received.

“Every effort should be made to give them the same vaccine, but where this is not possible it is better to give a second dose of another vaccine than not at all.”

or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received - WTF

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Image result for neeeeeeeerd

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think for that, you can read "England"

We can only hope but who's gonna be in charge of sending the different vaccines to all the various destinations?

Yeehah! We are absolute cowboys - aren't we? default_2guns.gif
PHE says it is reasonable to mix the two approved vaccines in exceptional circumstances

“If your first dose is the Pfizer vaccine you should not be given the AstraZeneca vaccine for your second dose and vice versa. There may be extremely rare occasions where the same vaccine is not available, or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received.

“Every effort should be made to give them the same vaccine, but where this is not possible it is better to give a second dose of another vaccine than not at all.”

or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received - WTF
This vaccine roll out is going to be a monumental f**k up, you just know it. Barely started to vaccinate the population and you get the feeling the wheels are already starting to come off. I hope I'm wrong, I really do but the excitement and relief of the vaccines being approved has already evaporated