Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Has anyone had difficulties having conversations with family about taking unnecessary risks? I think we are on the verge of having a big blow up with some of my wife’s family soon.

Not with family but some difficult discussions with a couple of friends who seem to think themselves above any of the restrictions, justifying this with an irritating “ I just want my life back.”
Edit to add that the vast majority of folk I know have done their best during this.

Has anyone had difficulties having conversations with family about taking unnecessary risks? I think we are on the verge of having a big blow up with some of my wife’s family soon.

I guess this is technically against the rules but we have just created an extended bubble with my wifes parents, brother and gran. All of us are working from home and not seeing anyone else. They see the kids with informal childcare anyways. More for our sanity than anything.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Aye, my sister has MS and since March has been to Belfast about ten times to see her BF, Spain at least twice that I can remember, Avie fuckin more, couple of other places in Scotland.  There's no telling her though so no point falling out.

Just now, Aufc said:

I guess this is technically against the rules but we have just created an extended bubble with my wifes parents, brother and gran. All of us are working from home and not seeing anyone else. They see the kids with informal childcare anyways. More for our sanity than anything.

When you say "technically" do you mean definitely?

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Stretching the definition of technically there 

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

If really, none of you are seeing anyone else, I don't see what's wrong with that.

30 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Because?

Are you suggesting the NHS could have run normally during the pandemic, especially now?

All I'm saying is this is the narrative the press would/will latch onto, nothing more.

From talking to nurses I know there are a fair amount of elderly patients who get no Covid treatment if they are in poor health. That's all.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

After seeing some news reports today highlighting the shortfalls in vaccine supply in Scotland, I can’t help thinking that the main purpose of the present lockdown is to try and keep people inside for a couple of months until the whole vaccination scenario is up and running properly, and both UKG and SG knew this was going to happen.

And they knew it in December, so let the restriction leash off in the run up to Christmas despite trumpeting 1million by end Jan etc

The headline on The Scotsman website at the moment is that we have 400.000 doses unused, and desperately need to speed up vaccination. 

News reports are very bad things at this moment in time. Full of contradictions. 

From talking to nurses I know there are a fair amount of elderly patients who get no Covid treatment if they are in poor health. That's all.
Got you. Thought that you had suggested older people weren't getting treatment at all, my mistake. Shit situation

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, MuckleMoo said:
13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Got you. Thought that you had suggested older people weren't getting treatment at all, my mistake. Shit situation

Many older people with serious underlying health issues were contacted last year to discuss 'do not resuscitate' instructions. 

My dad for one. 

That would explain 'no treatment'.

35 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Probably be fine mate 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Had a bit of a fallout with my parents at the weekend. I was in an extended household with my girlfriend, who also lives at home with her parents. My parents seem to think the rules about non-cohabiting couples have changed and that it’s only for people who live alone/have kids. In my opinion it doesn’t matter as long if parents are involved in the extended household. I get on well with my parents but being able to get out and see the Mrs was the only thing properly keeping me going throughout this shit show. 

4 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Had a bit of a fallout with my parents at the weekend. I was in an extended household with my girlfriend, who also lives at home with her parents. My parents seem to think the rules about non-cohabiting couples have changed and that it’s only for people who live alone/have kids. In my opinion it doesn’t matter as long if parents are involved in the extended household. I get on well with my parents but being able to get out and see the Mrs was the only thing properly keeping me going throughout this shit show. 

If you live with your parents they are correct.

Probably be fine though 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looks down to the new variant being much more infectious, and more testing probably.

It's interesting to see how Ireland has gone from doing really well  to all of a sudden numbers going hugely out of control (2-300 per day in late Nov to an average of well over 4,000 per day now) . There's been reports that it's not down to the new variant but instead the increased social mixing during Christmas, but a week or so later they're now saying more than 40% cases are linked to it. We've not seen the same kind of increase in Scotland, even though they were saying at Christmas just under 40% were the new variant. 

Is it as simple as the Irish being a bit complacent so they mixed a lot more over Christmas than we did here in Scotland?

7 minutes ago, s_dog said:

It's interesting to see how Ireland has gone from doing really well  to all of a sudden numbers going hugely out of control (2-300 per day in late Nov to an average of well over 4,000 per day now) . There's been reports that it's not down to the new variant but instead the increased social mixing during Christmas, but a week or so later they're now saying more than 40% cases are linked to it. We've not seen the same kind of increase in Scotland, even though they were saying at Christmas just under 40% were the new variant. 

Is it as simple as the Irish being a bit complacent so they mixed a lot more over Christmas than we did here in Scotland?

Did they not keep cases way down in the spring and even October, November, might be some lack of immunity in the mix as well. 

3 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Good question, the "new variant" is an interesting one as the crazy high figures that some are seeing in parts of the UK are actually on a par with what Belgium, Czech Republic, France and Slovakia were recording about 6 -8 weeks ago, so did they actually encounter this "new variant" first ???

There's no doubt that the Christmas mixing has caused a major problem (which most of us forecast) but what's not so clear is why it's affecting some areas and indeed countries more than others and also the time differential ??

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Good question, the "new variant" is an interesting one as the crazy high figures that some are seeing in parts of the UK are actually on a par with what Belgium, Czech Republic, France and Slovakia were recording about 6 -8 weeks ago, so did they actually encounter this "new variant" first ???

There's no doubt that the Christmas mixing has caused a major problem (which most of us forecast) but what's not so clear is why it's affecting some areas and indeed countries more than others and also the time differential ??

Apparently the one thing the UK is ahead in is genome sequencing, which might explain it coming to light in England first.