Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Had a nightmare getting into Teams in work today before I even started trying to log MAH TWO in.

My youngest son (Primary 5) spent a good five hours on maths, spelling, and then reading a short story and answering questions. I took photos and sent them to the teacher, got a “great work Harry!” generic message from her 30 seconds later, obviously not bothering her arse going through his work.

My eldest son (S1) had to take his teacher through how to unmute her microphone in a 50 minute Teams call that took around 30 minutes before everyone was able to unmute and turn their cameras on.

I’m not overly optimistic that homeschooling will work...

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Making it one person per trolley would make a much bigger difference 

Except you'd still get the idiots like the couple I passed in Tesco - a trolley each. She pushed the empty one, left it in the middle of the aisle then carried items past me to hand them to her partner. Sure there was a good reason but I was too busy crashing my way past the abandoned trolley.

Maybe should have put this in Petty Things thread.

No I'm not. The world's most eminent epidemiologists and virologists are saying that.  Have you been asleep for the last ten months?
No I've not been asleep I'm simply suggesting that you are not at a significant risk of death by that definition. You may be at an increased risk of infection which in turn puts you at an increased risk of illness which in turn puts you at a slightly increased risk of death. The way you are presenting it is that we are all going to die by going into work. I had zero issue with going back to work (in hospitality) while I was allowed to. If you want to eliminate all risk from society then we will simply live indoors at all times. You are at risk every time you leave the house, hell you are even at risk in your house.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

No. People like to discuss what kind of biscuits they are going to get 

... and couples will undoubtedly just go in one after the other with a trolley each, ultimately cluttering up the shop even more and exacerbating the problem further.

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Judging by my neck of the woods at least, there's almost certainly a laziness factor too.

Every time I've been to or passed my local corner shops of late, I've seen somebody without ay face covering (pretty much exclusively men in their ~40s) which is a very different situation to Lockdown 1.0.  On my last visit, one maskless guy was standing right next to his workmate at the till, munching away on a sandwich.   Unless I missed some massive wave of asthma, more folk evidently just can't be arsed abiding by the rules this time around.   I can only imagine that these folk have some form of underlying "they don't know what they're doing and making it up on the fly, so why bother" attitude.

Only time I've seen people taking the pish was at the only Clach game we've been allowed into, a couple of middle aged women walking around maskless with Costa Coffee cups in their hands. The nearest branch is a couple of miles away.

Just now, 10menwent2mow said:
25 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
No I'm not. The world's most eminent epidemiologists and virologists are saying that.  Have you been asleep for the last ten months?

No I've not been asleep I'm simply suggesting that you are not at a significant risk of death by that definition. You may be at an increased risk of infection which in turn puts you at an increased risk of illness which in turn puts you at a slightly increased risk of death. The way you are presenting it is that we are all going to die by going into work. I had zero issue with going back to work (in hospitality) while I was allowed to. If you want to eliminate all risk from society then we will simply live indoors at all times. You are at risk every time you leave the house, hell you are even at risk in your house.

Again, I asked what your qualifications are to make a judgement that is contrary to the judgement of all the experts in the field, so what role in hospitality do you do that required a PhD in Virology?  Why do you think we have these restrictions?  Because we ARE at significant risk, did you forget all the dead people?  This an actual pandemic, completely unprecedented in the modern world.

Cant seem to find the recent data but do supermarkets and shops not always appear near the top of the list of sources of infection?  I would have thought they would have been a good place to force people to hand over details for track and trace, only allowing one adult per household in at any time and restricting numbers depending on space in store (which did seem to be happening in the earlier part of the pandemic).

Although mask wearing seems to be fairly well observed in the shops I have been in, at the very least it may deter folk just going for a mosey or the whole family outings to the shop (of which ASDA seems to be the main destination going by the one in Govan).

3 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Cant seem to find the recent data but do supermarkets and shops not always appear near the top of the list of sources of infection?  I would have thought they would have been a good place to force people to hand over details for track and trace, only allowing one adult per household in at any time and restricting numbers depending on space in store (which did seem to be happening in the earlier part of the pandemic).

Although mask wearing seems to be fairly well observed in the shops I have been in, at the very least it may deter folk just going for a mosey or the whole family outings to the shop (of which ASDA seems to be the main destination going by the one in Govan).

I think these figures don't show sources of infection but where people had been over the last X number of days. 

It's not surprising that most people would state they have been in a shop. 

9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I think these figures don't show sources of infection but where people had been over the last X number of days. 

It's not surprising that most people would state they have been in a shop. 

I was sure it was labelled as a predicted source of infection (obviously the accuracy is questionable).

Asda in Perth seems to be full of people who treat it as a day out. Must be something about the shop itself.

Just under 2200 pupils were in south Ayrshire schools today which although massively up on lockdown 1 was down on what was anticipated. Every school was open. It is anticipated that the numbers will gradually creep up especially with pupils not able to participate from home through access issues allowed to return.

Again, I asked what your qualifications are to make a judgement that is contrary to the judgement of all the experts in the field, so what role in hospitality do you do that required a PhD in Virology?  Why do you think we have these restrictions?  Because we ARE at significant risk, did you forget all the dead people?  This an actual pandemic, completely unprecedented in the modern world.
I have no qualifications at all in that field. However I can read statistics.

639 people had covid mentioned, note mentioned, on their death certificate in the 15-64 age bracket in Scotland. Let's call them for argument sake, the working age population. In 2019, 730 people in the same age group took their own life. God knows what the statistics for will be like for that in the next 4-5 years as people lose jobs, businesses and homes from this pandemic.

I would suggest that a minority of those people contracted the virus in the workplace. Now, I appreciate that during that time a lot of workplaces were closed and that will have led to the suppression of the virus. I'm not debating that there is an increased risk of transmission in the workplace, of course there is but businesses were carrying out risk assessments and putting in place safe working practices to allow their employees to continue working.

We are at the stage where the long term damage to the economy and peoples livelihoods far outweighs the benefits of lockdown, again, just my opinion.

Is there a contingency if Teams goes down?
I'm ready to deliver paper copies if necessary.

But we can use email and Google Classroom if Teams keeps playing up - I've already emailed pupils directly with work. Would prefer Teams as it is completely compatible with Office (unlike Google Classroom) - plus you can provide that individual feedback to students - and see who has even viewed the work. All the work we've set an be done through Teams or if pupils have IT access issues it can be written on paper - I've already marked work that was photographed and sent to me.

Whatever works as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I have no qualifications at all in that field. However I can read statistics.

639 people had covid mentioned, note mentioned, on their death certificate in the 15-64 age bracket in Scotland. Let's call them for argument sake, the working age population. In 2019, 730 people in the same age group took their own life. God knows what the statistics for will be like for that in the next 4-5 years as people lose jobs, businesses and homes from this pandemic.

I would suggest that a minority of those people contracted the virus in the workplace. Now, I appreciate that during that time a lot of workplaces were closed and that will have led to the suppression of the virus. I'm not debating that there is an increased risk of transmission in the workplace, of course there is but businesses were carrying out risk assessments and putting in place safe working practices to allow their employees to continue working.

We are at the stage where the long term damage to the economy and peoples livelihoods far outweighs the benefits of lockdown, again, just my opinion.

Fair enough, you make your case well.  My opinion is we need to do what other countries have done and lockdown hard now for say 12 weeks, get on top of it and get lots of people vaccinated, then we can go back to what normal will look like whatever that may be.

I would like to reiterate to the guy talking about mental health can't remember his name I have a lot of sympathy with that, and nobody is going to stop him going out for exercise.  I was quite insensitive in my remarks and hope they weren't construed as not caring about his mental health, I just mean just now we are in a desperate situation that requires draconian measures to get us out of, and apologise for any offence cause. Might be Thereisachance or something like that.

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Only time I've seen people taking the pish was at the only Clach game we've been allowed into, a couple of middle aged women walking around maskless with Costa Coffee cups in their hands. The nearest branch is a couple of miles away.

Driving to watch a game that is taking place BCD is taking the pish. 

It’s literally the worst stage of the pandemic so far.