Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

In terms of providing proof of vaccination, the onus for that will be on the traveller. I went to Ghana this time last year and had to provide proof of having the yellow fever vaccination - if I hadn't brought my documentation then I wouldn't have got in to the country.

I always have a chuckle when I read British gammons question how it would even be possible to prove you've had a vaccine when the process already exists and is required for travelling to certain countries. I shouldn't be surprised about the ignorance of people in this country but it seems that every day now another example punches me in the face.

Tony Blair's terrifyingly titled Institute for Global Change has produced a paper estimating how quickly restrictions can be eased.
https://institute.global/policy/sunlit-uplands-vaccine-rollout-and-return-normality?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=launch
Here's the table they have produced.
image.thumb.png.4dc252566904d92ba8e066af3428c07a.png
Accelerated scenario would be ideal. Current scenario would be acceptable.

No doubt we'll end up with "worst case scenario".

5 minutes ago, Markka said:
18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:
Tony Blair's terrifyingly titled Institute for Global Change has produced a paper estimating how quickly restrictions can be eased.
https://institute.global/policy/sunlit-uplands-vaccine-rollout-and-return-normality?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=launch
Here's the table they have produced.
image.thumb.png.4dc252566904d92ba8e066af3428c07a.png

The Accelerated Scenario isn't bad at all IMO. Would take that right now.

Less deaths following the accelerated path - can you explain the logic behind that?

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

How is Germany's amazing test and trace system working out?

'Test and trace' is the biggest busted flush of this whole sorry incident.

It only works with a low number of cases, trying to trace contacts when you have tens of thousands of primary cases is pointless.

Less deaths following the accelerated path - can you explain the logic behind that?
Since I'm meant to be working at the moment, I won't read the full article right now, but I assume in the accelerated scenario the vaccinations are being administered more swiftly, and the deaths estimate therefore goes down.

How is Germany's amazing test and trace system working out?
'Test and trace' is the biggest busted flush of this whole sorry incident.
Its a busted flush because it was implemented to late and without the infrastructure and resources required. Besides, the sheer numbers being infected now renders it almost useless.

I mentioned it before but if want to see how test and trace should work look at South Korea

5 minutes ago, Markka said:
9 minutes ago, btb said:

Since I'm meant to be working at the moment, I won't read the full article right now, but I assume in the accelerated scenario the vaccinations are being administered more swiftly, and the deaths estimate therefore goes down.

Yes, going from 300,000 per day at present to 600,000 per day in March. They think the supply could reach that by then.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Accelerated scenario would be ideal. Current scenario would be acceptable.

No doubt we'll end up with "worst case scenario".

Lift all restrictions in September... for a month, then shart our pants as soon as cases rise again through the autumn and we're locked up again.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It only works with a low number of cases, trying to trace contacts when you have tens of thousands of primary cases is pointless.

So like Germany, then? They were being hailed as the blueprint for large western nations last spring and summer.

You can track and trace when an epidemic is small and there is a window of opportunity to contain it. You can't do it when a virus that transmits as easily as Covid is already endemic within a population. Well, not while ever hoping to live in a fully free, open society.

Guess who's back with another zero COVID article? [emoji38]
Of course, she refuses to set out what the plan for zero COVID actually entails:
"What does this mean for all of us now? While scientists continue to assemble the data and advise governments on how best to proceed, we should each be focusing on how to avoid getting the virus and passing it on to others, and learning sustainable ways to live under restrictions for the dark winter months ahead. Quite simply: avoid indoor, poorly ventilated and crowded settings; don’t go into other people’s homes; keep your distance; meet outside; wear face coverings on public transport and in shops; and err on the side of caution."
That isn't a plan for zero COVID, that's just pretty obvious advice for the individual.
Someone needs to tell Devi the nights are drawing out ffs.

The dark winter armageddon talk is shit and it can't hold water much longer. It's a really negative message that seems designed to keep mood and optimism suppressed. I can already get out a walk in daylight after work.

1 minute ago, Markka said:
5 minutes ago, btb said:

Fairy Nuff, I just did and it relies on an estimate of 500,000 vaccinations a day rising to 600,000 a day by March - optimistic. 

On the 37.000 or 40.000 as totals for the numbers of Covid deaths in 2021 - given that the UK has already recorded 20,000 these also seem optimistic. 

2 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

Its a busted flush because it was implemented to late and without the infrastructure and resources required. Besides, the sheer numbers being infected now renders it almost useless.

I mentioned it before but if want to see how test and trace should work look at South Korea

South Korea is a de facto island with a much more obedient population than in the west. They have also had a far more restrictive society than many people realise. Whenever they have 'opened up', they have soon seen spikes in cases which then result in restrictions on most of the things that make life interesting. They have doubtless done far better, but they are also going to have to hope the vaccines work as well as intended, or like Taiwan, New Zealand, and Australia, they will face some very difficult choices longer-term.

Edited by Elixir

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
38 minutes ago, Elixir said:
'Right now'.

You had previously said the last year hence that response and a couple similar.

I meant to infer if we now go down the 'straight into hotels at the border' route. Apologies if it was unclear.

On 20/01/2021 at 14:34, superbigal said:

Todays summary

Mr Swinney says the latest estimate for the R number in Scotland is around one and has probably fallen in the last week.

The deputy first minister says the current lockdown restrictions are helping to stabilise the R number.

Thank you John for the 1st nearer to the truth statement on R in the last week.  My feeble calculations say it is likely between 0.8-0.9.

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England 497.3,   Wales 304.3, Northern Ireland 384.3

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    So our peak is still lower than where the other nations currently stand.

From 11th to 17th January we were down to  207.3

Todays figure for 12th Jan to 18th Jan is 200.4   Another decent single Day drop of 3.33%. Infections have dropped every day since the  aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 33.62%   Also now not a single Council in one of the Level 4 Indicators of over 300 cases per 100K as Glasgow & North Lanarkshire drop below the magic number.   Other big cities Aberdeen & Dundee close to dropping below 200.  Edinburgh on a different planet and going back in time would be screaming for Level 2.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Glasgow City   309.3 to 293.6 

North Lanarkshire   305.8 to 293.5 

Renfrewshire 290.9 to 290.3    

Clackmannanshire 281.3 to 287.2  Been climbing for 4 days but pretty low population so will not take much to turn corner.

Inverclyde  275.1 to 271.2

North Ayrshire  276.1 to 267.2

East Ayrshire  2265.6 to 262.3

South Lanarkshire   255.8 to 247.4

Dumfries & Galloway  263.3 to 243.9  

East Dunbartonshire     243.9 to 235.6

Falkirk   210.7 to 230.6  

West Dunbartonshire    242.9 to 229.4

South Ayrshire  224.7 to 214.9

Aberdeen City  230.9 to 212.1

Dundee City 200.9 to 202.3

East Renfrewshire  178.0 to 169.6

Western Isles  164.7 to 168.4   Barra and South Uist now over 1000.  Looks to have peaked which is good.  37 Cases in total over period.

Angus  151.5 to 163.5

Perth & Kinross  157.9 to 159.3

Stirling   151.8 to 153.9

Fife  160.1 to 152.9

Moray  122.1 to 133.6 

West Lothian 138.7 to 132.7

Scottish  Borders  135.9 to 128.1

City Of Edinburgh  133.4 to 127.6   

Aberdeenshire  141.3 to 127.5

East Lothian   123.3 to 123.3

Midlothian  104.9 to 119.0

Highlands 122.1 to 111.1 Invergordon now dropping rapidly which is good news.

Shetland Islands  91.6 to 96.0

Argyll & Bute  67.5 to 55.9

Orkney Island  31.4 to 35.9

Edited by superbigal

Why is nobody calling out Sridhar's lies about us 'not wanting to be in this situation again next winter'? There will be a very high degree of immunity in the population from previous infection and vaccination by then. The evidence is also becoming quite clear that, even if re-infections start to become more commonplace over time, these will result in far milder symptoms - another reason why 'Zero Covid' is a dangerous and pointless fantasy.

So someone in her position is either being deliberately ignorant, or is deliberately misleading the public into thinking that Covid means the pressure of pandemic waves on healthcare systems every single winter now.

Edited by Elixir