Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, renton said:

Aye. The problem being that policy makers, particularly in treasuries baulk at lockdowns because of the economic impact, then that delay means they end up imposing far longer lockdowns than if they had just done so in the first place. Over reaction is far safer than 'wait and see' in this context.

There was obviously a lot of naivety about this in the West, vs. Asia where they have dealt with SARS and then Bird Flu and have standing policies for how to deal with public health emergencies. 

It's also the reason that you've just seen this year's Glastonbury get cancelled, something that should and (almost certainly) would have been able to go ahead had our tory government been taking this seriously since about February 2020, and locked down quickly and sharply.

Ironically, their delusional attempts to try and 'save' summer 2020, by spending weeks pretending the virus was not very serious and that we didn't need to take drastic measures, has probably cost us a normal summer 2021 too.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I know the restrictions were only extended this week but is there any indication of what the numbers need to be to start putting areas back into Tier 3 etc? I would’ve hoped by now the media would start pressing this issue. 

Might as well forget it whilst hospitals are bursting at the seams to be honest.

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

I know the restrictions were only extended this week but is there any indication of what the numbers need to be to start putting areas back into Tier 3 etc? I would’ve hoped by now the media would start pressing this issue. 

They won't be saying anything until hospitalisations and ICU use are on a steady downward trajectory, which will be soon if they follow infections.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

The first travel company to state that you will need to have had both Covid jabs to travel with them.

Admittedly its SAGA so the most risky health wise but possibly a sign of whats to come.

Ok, so quite a few questions remain unanswered here, such as how do people prove they've had the "jab" and how do the company propose finding this out ?

Next issue would be that it's unlikely that anyone in the "under 70" category will have received their "2" jabs by any earlier than mid summer so are the company proposing that the earliest booking is likely to be the Autumn (given that they want a FURTHER 2 weeks after the 2nd jab has been received) ??

So basically it's the over 80's residing in a part of the country that has been quickest in rolling out the vaccine, care home residents and the extremely vulnerable that will be the only ones permitted to go on a holiday and only if they turn up with a wee badge that says "i got my vaccine today"  ????

I think not...........

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

The first travel company to state that you will need to have had both Covid jabs to travel with them.

Admittedly its SAGA so the most risky health wise but possibly a sign of whats to come.

Bear in mind cruises were absolutely brutalised in the first month or so backlast spring, which probably ha some impact on this decision. 

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Bear in mind cruises were absolutely brutalised in the first month or so backlast spring, which probably ha some impact on this decision. 

It's not just their cruises, it's ALL saga holidays.

However that's not really my point, it's more about the logistics involved in practice and whether it's actually practical or indeed even possible ??

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Ok, so quite a few questions remain unanswered here, such as how do people prove they've had the "jab" and how do the company propose finding this out ?

Next issue would be that it's unlikely that anyone in the "under 70" category will have received their "2" jabs by any earlier than mid summer so are the company proposing that the earliest booking is likely to be the Autumn (given that they want a FURTHER 2 weeks after the 2nd jab has been received) ??

So basically it's the over 80's residing in a part of the country that has been quickest in rolling out the vaccine, care home residents and the extremely vulnerable that will be the only ones permitted to go on a holiday and only if they turn up with a wee badge that says "i got my vaccine today"  ????

I think not...........

I don't know about England, but the Scottish government's current plan would see everyone in all vulnerable categories (right down to over 50s) given both doses by the end of May.

In terms of providing proof of vaccination, the onus for that will be on the traveller. I went to Ghana this time last year and had to provide proof of having the yellow fever vaccination - if I hadn't brought my documentation then I wouldn't have got in to the country.

2 hours ago, renton said:

I must have missed UBI being top of Corbyn's policy list.

No but you would have seen improvements in the benefits systems, a fairer furlough and a higher minimum wage if Corbyn and McDonnell were (by some sort of miracle) able to implement their program.

You can also consider something like free broadband to be extra money in all our pockets. 

Edited by Detournement

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't know about England, but the Scottish government's current plan would see everyone in all vulnerable categories (right down to over 50s) given both doses by the end of May.

In terms of providing proof of vaccination, the onus for that will be on the traveller. I went to Ghana this time last year and had to provide proof of having the yellow fever vaccination - if I hadn't brought my documentation then I wouldn't have got in to the country.

I think the NHS have enough to do at the moment without hiring a whole new team of back office staff to issue would be travellers with covid certificates.

Again, the point i'm making is that nobody knows if and how this is even possible or what form it would likely take, so until this is public knowledge then it would appear to be a load of utter nonsense to me.

16 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Leitch today

“ Getting out of this will be slow and it will be gradual. Schools and the wellbeing of children will be the priority and so will places of worship

The priority should be loading Leitch and indeed anyone else hankering after places of worship as a priority into Mons Meg and firing them into the Firth of Forth. 

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Typical Greenockian jakeball response.

Musical Youth should have brought a version of their song just for you lot with the lyrics changed to

“Pass the Buckie down the left hand side”.

El Dorado is the tonic wine of choice on the Clyde Riviera, you imbecile.

_90011794_tonyf.jpg.c0bb5f9ea3f6ed92979377b109a1329d.jpg

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't take much comfort from someone getting arrested after they've ruined my day. Only a few years ago Scotrail had to strike to avoid them dispensing with guards.

Guards have been dispensed with on proper ScotRail trains for decades so I'm not sure where you're going with this. They are no better positioned to deal with a situation than the clippies. 

Booze on trains can get to f**k.

No, simpering Helen Lovejoy losers like yourself can get to f**k. Travel by bus instead.

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think the NHS have enough to do at the moment without hiring a whole new team of back office staff to issue would be travellers with covid certificates.

Again, the point i'm making is that nobody knows if and how this is even possible or what form it would likely take, so until this is public knowledge then it would appear to be a load of utter nonsense to me.

When I had to get a vaccination and provide proof of vaccination to go somewhere my GP charged me for it as it wasn't NHS treatment.

Wasn't much.  About £10 I think.  Was a few years ago though so inflation might have upped it but I'd suspect most people wouldn't mind paying the fee.